Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 05:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indy is not an exciting place, whatsoever. I would choose Cleveland to visit. Cleveland is not as bland, and has more culture. Indy can be pretentious.
What does this even mean?

Old 09-29-2022, 08:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indy is not an exciting place, whatsoever. I would choose Cleveland to visit. Cleveland is not as bland, and has more culture. Indy can be pretentious.
What the heck is with your last statement? I've been to Indy numerous times over my lifetime, and it's definitely NOT pretentious at all. I don't think either Indy or Cleveland(and note, I've also been to Cleveland too), is pretentious btw.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yeah, the airport is out in no man's land. I wouldn't judge Indy, Cleveland, or Chicago based on where the airports are.

Downtown/Mass Ave, Fountain Square, and Broad Ripple are the most walkable areas. I wouldn't recommend visiting much of anything in Indy's outer townships except Eagle Creek Park or if you're just looking for a long bike ride on the Monon Trail.
Well, there is always Indianapolis Motor Speedway...ok it is technically in the Town of Speedway but the IndyCar Museum does have some good display.

For comparison, though, Cleveland does have Cuyahoga Valley NP on its peripheral - Indy has nothing close sadly. Newfield is nice for Indy but Cleveland has that whole area in University Circle.

For event...yeah November is low season (in fact the whole winter is) which is why Indy always chase after every single Super Bowl and Final 4 anyway.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:10 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Well, there is always Indianapolis Motor Speedway...ok it is technically in the Town of Speedway but the IndyCar Museum does have some good display.

For comparison, though, Cleveland does have Cuyahoga Valley NP on its peripheral - Indy has nothing close sadly. Newfield is nice for Indy but Cleveland has that whole area in University Circle.

For event...yeah November is low season (in fact the whole winter is) which is why Indy always chase after every single Super Bowl and Final 4 anyway.
Newfields is one institution's campus, you're comparing that to a city neighborhood with a university and several museums. A better comparison might be University Circle and White River State Park. WRSP has the Eitlejorg, State Museum, NCAA Hall of Champions, Victory Field, portions of the Central Canal, TCU Amphitheater, the Indy Zoo, is adjacent to IUPUI, and connects to the Cultural Trail and White River Promenade.

It is true that Cuyahoga Valley is closer to Cleveland than Indiana Dunes and Hoosier National Forest are to Indy, but we do still have ample places to hike and be outdoors especially in Southern Indiana.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Newfields is one institution's campus, you're comparing that to a city neighborhood with a university and several museums. A better comparison might be University Circle and White River State Park. WRSP has the Eitlejorg, State Museum, NCAA Hall of Champions, Victory Field, portions of the Central Canal, TCU Amphitheater, the Indy Zoo, is adjacent to IUPUI, and connects to the Cultural Trail and White River Promenade.

It is true that Cuyahoga Valley is closer to Cleveland than Indiana Dunes and Hoosier National Forest are to Indy, but we do still have ample places to hike and be outdoors especially in Southern Indiana.
Yep, you would be correct about that. I.e. Brown County State Park is still pretty close to Indy, and near the town of Nashville, IN. Also the covered bridges in Putnam County, IN that are near Greencastle, are cool to check out if you never have.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Yeah, the airport is out in no man's land. I wouldn't judge Indy, Cleveland, or Chicago based on where the airports are.

Downtown/Mass Ave, Fountain Square, and Broad Ripple are the most walkable areas. I wouldn't recommend visiting much of anything in Indy's outer townships except Eagle Creek Park or if you're just looking for a long bike ride on the Monon Trail.
Heh. I read that as "Moron" Trail at first and thought "Finally! A place where I belong!"

Old 09-30-2022, 09:16 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:

Does the racetrack in Indy have something similar to the one in LV, where they let you rent high end exotic import cars, and drive as fast as you can around the track when they are not hosting races?

Old 09-30-2022, 11:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does the racetrack in Indy have something similar to the one in LV, where they let you rent high end exotic import cars, and drive as fast as you can around the track when they are not hosting races?
Not that I'm aware of. There is the IndyCar ride along and some collaboration with BMW, but nothing like the one at Vegas (which is also run by some private company anyway AFAIK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Yep, you would be correct about that. I.e. Brown County State Park is still pretty close to Indy, and near the town of Nashville, IN. Also the covered bridges in Putnam County, IN that are near Greencastle, are cool to check out if you never have.
I used to live in Bloomington, and go to Brown County SP basically every year (during the fall colors), so I know about that quite well. That and cover bridges as well (There is one right at Brown County SP anyway).

Brown County SP is still somewhat remove from Indy otherwise - it's miles of countryside even from Bargersville. Cuyahoga Valley NP is literally adjacent to some suburbs of Cleveland.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I vaguely remember Indy Motor Speedway advertised some experience years ago when I visited in the early or mid 2010s, that you could sit in the passenger seat of a race car and do a lap or 2 around the Indy speedway. I think they priced this experience at $130, but don't remember the exact price for sure.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I used to live in Bloomington, and go to Brown County SP basically every year (during the fall colors), so I know about that quite well. That and cover bridges as well (There is one right at Brown County SP anyway).

Brown County SP is still somewhat remove from Indy otherwise - it's miles of countryside even from Bargersville. Cuyahoga Valley NP is literally adjacent to some suburbs of Cleveland.
True, I do see your point. Although neither park is that far away, from Indy or Cleveland.

Let's not forget Eagle Creek Park is VERY close to the northwest side of Indy, and a few nearby suburbs(Clermont, Zionsville, Brownsburg, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City