Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the better major amenities?
Columbus, OH 28 30.77%
Austin, TX 63 69.23%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 10:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times

Advertisements

Columbus
for the better truck stops.
This is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 08:25 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Uhmm, on those particular criteria, Austin easily.

- F1, SXSW, ACL > any event in Columbus by a large margin. Is there any event in Columbus bigger than an Ohio State football game?

- Ohio State is a good school, but I think certainly UT Austin is a bit more prestigious academically.

- Waterfront: both have a nice trail system on the water. Lady Bird Lake is definitely much more heavily used recreationally, though. Austin does also have Lake Austin and Lake Travis away from downtown.

- Transit, neither is good, really, but CapMetro has almost 2x the ridership of Columbus and does have a rail system (though not an ultra-useful one). AUS gets about 3x the passengers that CMH does and at least 50% more destinations.

I do think there are areas where Columbus can win, but not any of these four in my opinion.
Since no one is even attempting to make a case for Columbus, I'll step up!

I did some research, and if you add the annual attendance from the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Columbus Crew, and the overlooked Arnold Classic (which most certainly draws people from outside the region), its pretty much even with the Austin event combo above, somewhere around 1.1. million.

Also, OSU football is a larger draw than UT football, if that is to be considered something that draws people from outside the region (I don't know that it does).

UT is does seem to be better regarded academically, but Columbus also has Capital University, Otterbein, Ohio Dominican, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison and others.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:50 PM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't understand how mass transit could "seem a wash."

Looks like Austin's bus system beats COTA, and then they have commuter rail and Amtrak on top of that.

For metro areas of its size, Columbus isn't just holding up the bottom for the country, its the entire world.
Austin has awful public transportation. They like their cars too much.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:57 PM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Since no one is even attempting to make a case for Columbus, I'll step up!

I did some research, and if you add the annual attendance from the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Columbus Crew, and the overlooked Arnold Classic (which most certainly draws people from outside the region), its pretty much even with the Austin event combo above, somewhere around 1.1. million.

Also, OSU football is a larger draw than UT football, if that is to be considered something that draws people from outside the region (I don't know that it does).

UT is does seem to be better regarded academically, but Columbus also has Capital University, Otterbein, Ohio Dominican, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison and others.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...1/#179922401_6

Texas is 8th in attendance at 91,938
Ohio ST is 5th at 96,756.

Considering Ohio St has been far better than Texas for *checks calendar* the past 17 years, that's not a big gap. Those numbers are from 2021 when Texas didn't make a bowl and Ohio St just missed the playoffs. Texas can close the gap quickly if it's good. Alabama outdrew Ohio st btw.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:44 AM

99 posts, read 73,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post

Considering Ohio St has been far better than Texas for *checks calendar* the past 17 years, that's not a big gap. Those numbers are from 2021 when Texas didn't make a bowl and Ohio St just missed the playoffs. Texas can close the gap quickly if it's good. Alabama outdrew Ohio st btw.
Ohio State had their worst attended game in 50 years at the beginning of the year. One which I happened to attend. I would be interested in the average attendance outside of Covid years.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:

TX has been averaging over 103k in 2022. I don't think Texas can close the gap simply because Ohio State has a slightly bigger stadium. But, obviously the "gap" is more or less nonexistent in the first place. No NCAAF program is "bigger" than Texas. There are a handful (including OSU) that are at the same level and that's it.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM

99 posts, read 73,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
TX has been averaging over 103k in 2022. I don't think Texas can close the gap simply because Ohio State has a slightly bigger stadium. But, obviously the "gap" is more or less nonexistent in the first place. No NCAAF program is "bigger" than Texas. There are a handful (including OSU) that are at the same level and that's it.
This is true, they are both in rare air in support.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:52 PM

383 posts, read 512,035 times
Quote:
Ouch for Columbus.
Maybe but I feel the real ouch is for the current and future residents of Austin. The place is growing so fast and cool things like Rainy Street, have been swallowed up by towers. Cbus seems like a good pace with new infill going up all around but still reasonably priced compared to other area of the country.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:27 PM

146 posts, read 152,052 times
Columbus is the Austin of the midwest.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:48 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
Columbus is the Austin of the midwest.
I think I'd go with Madison for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City