Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the better major amenities?
Columbus, OH 28 30.77%
Austin, TX 63 69.23%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 10:24 AM

212 posts, read 198,914 times

Advertisements

Not a lot of Columbus-informed people on these boards. Arnold is a draw, but two events not mentioned draw significantly more:
  • The annual All American Quarter Horse Congress draws ~650,000 people to Columbus. That's twice SXSW.
  • Almost 1,000,000 people visit the Ohio State Fair every year.

Austin gets more visitors for sure, but I wouldn't expect the gap to really be all that large. Looking at airport numbers is kind of silly, because Columbus is easily accessible by car to tens of millions of people. A more accurate measure would be hotel rooms and their occupancy. I think they're about even. Although Austin is attracting higher dollar visitors to higher dollar hotels.

Also, I'm sure Ohio State and Texas both draw significantly for sports, but I'd guess Ohio State draws more. They are more accessible for traveling fans. Also, you can't just look at football stadium attendance. Look outside Ohio Stadium and DKR during a game. There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in the vicinity.

Ohio State and Texas both rank highly in research output. Texas gets a slight edge, because its endowment from state-owned oil fields really opens doors. As far as other universities:

Denison >>>> Southwestern
Ohio Wesleyan >> St. Edward's
n/a < Texas State
Columbus State = Austin Community
Capital > n/a
Otterbein > n/a
Franklin > n/a
Ohio Dominican > n/a
Mount Vernon Nazarene = Concordia
Columbus College of Art & Design > n/a
Pontifical College Josephinum = Austin Presbyterian

Safe to say Columbus has more academic prestige among its universities.

Columbus' waterfront is specifically more urban-oriented than Austin's. Though Austin does appear to build closer to it. Columbus for nearly 100 years didn't build west of the Scioto, because of flooding. The flood wall opened in the early 2000s, and development is really kicking into gear over there. Columbus has really made huge strides in cleaning up the rivers, and beautifying them. They've removed dams, spent billions on updating sewers, and done considerable park and greenscape work. I've noticed every year since these efforts really kicked into gear (they're ongoing) more and more people using the waterfront. Thousands of residential units, hotel rooms, and office space is currently under construction adjacent to the downtown rivers. It'll only continue to get busier.

Transit isn't really used much in Columbus, because it's not "needed". Roads and highways are well laid out, and the reengineering of many of Columbus' bad spots have significantly improved traffic flow. Despite a surprisingly dense urban area traffic in Columbus may as well not exist. I've only heard horrible things about Austin's lack of highways, and their explosion in population wrecking their traffic situation. So, they may have better transit, but it's also needed more there, so does it measure up to its need as well as Columbus? Not so sure.

Austin has a more connected airport, but I can't say if it's better. I've never been. I do know Columbus is getting a new terminal in the next few years.

Overall I give the slight edge to Austin in this particular measurement, but Columbus isn't nearly as far behind as it may seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 07:50 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Columbus Symphony wants to build $275 million performance space:

https://www.wosu.org/arts-culture/20...formance-space

Old 02-09-2024, 07:02 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
OSU blows away U of T for scandals. It’s not even remotely close. Jeffrey Dahmer went to OSU. Does U of T even have a serial killer?

I drove through Indianapolis and Columbus Christmas week. Indianapolis looked like a neutron bomb had hit. Columbus was really busy. Given the enormous handicap of the Midwest location, Columbus does really well.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:30 AM

356 posts, read 128,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
OSU blows away U of T for scandals. It’s not even remotely close. Jeffrey Dahmer went to OSU. Does U of T even have a serial killer?

I drove through Indianapolis and Columbus Christmas week. Indianapolis looked like a neutron bomb had hit. Columbus was really busy. Given the enormous handicap of the Midwest location, Columbus does really well.
Not a serial killer, but probably one of the US first Mass Shooters.
The UT snipper killed 17 and injured over 30.

At least Dahmer did his stuff off campus.

OSU gave us CJ Stroud. That should make up for Dahmer

Old 02-09-2024, 09:32 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Columbus Symphony wants to build $275 million performance space:

https://www.wosu.org/arts-culture/20...formance-space
Very impressive. I love seeing stuff like this pop-up in mid-sized/smaller metro areas.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:49 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I can't decide. Both are remarkably equal.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:00 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nah, as was stated... Charles Whitman shot almost fifty people off of the top of the University of Texas tower which is the iconic building on the UT campus. Jeffrey was just a little 'ole nobody cannibal who lived in Milwaukie who was trying to steal my thunder.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Nah, as was stated... Charles Whitman shot almost fifty people off of the top of the University of Texas tower which is the iconic building on the UT campus. Jeffrey was just a little 'ole nobody cannibal who lived in Milwaukie who was trying to steal my thunder.
Ha Ha, definitely the OG who spawned blockbuster thrillers across genres.

You Stole Albert Fish's thunder though. Can't get any more sadistic than that.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:33 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post

OSU gave us CJ Stroud. That should make up for Dahmer
IDK about that.

Surprised Austin is winning this poll based on the comments tbh. Some of it's biggest detractors live in neighboring Texas metros

Old 02-09-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
IDK about that.

Surprised Austin is winning this poll based on the comments tbh. Some of it's biggest detractors live in neighboring Texas metros
Austin and Columbus were closer 20 years ago. They were both moving pretty fast but Columbus doesn't seem to be moving as fast as it did in the 00s but Austin seems to be moving faster now than it did in the 00's.

Austin is pulling away imo.

Stronger economic and population growth.
In my head Austin is leaving that Columbus, Indianapolis tier and maybe joining the Pittsburgh/ Portland tier
Austin's GDP is larger than Portland, Pittsburgh and even Tampa's, and closer to Charlotte.

I think Austin is winning the poll because it is seen as competitive with bigger metros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City