Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 09:13 AM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times

Advertisements

I would vote for Philadelphia.

As far as cities, Chicago is a bit more dynamic and a bit more of a draw in general, but far, far too harsh in the winter.
Also, the boystown area is one of my least favorite "gay districts" in the US. I've been only once, but not enough overall diversity was present for that gay district.

Personally, the east coast area overall offers much more than the midwest, in general: access to DC, Jersey beaches, NYC, Boston, Cape Cod, coastal Maine, upstate NY and the Catskills, Vermont skiing, and Long Island beaches.

I see a better overall future for Philly, as opposed to Chicago, in general too. But I do like both cities.

Chicago to visit and Philly to live for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 09:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
I agree with a lot of what manitopiaaa said, with a few caveats.

1) there's no denying the gay presence and dating pool is larger in Chicago. Philadelphia is a top city for gay presence, dating and nightlife, but Chicago is surely one of the few that outdoes us. IMO, both pack enough of a punch that other factors should be considered. I do agree with what others said about how our Gayborhood's location right in Center City is really fantastic.

2) Re: politics, I actually love living in Pennsylvania and voting somewhere in which my vote really matters.

But yeah, IMO the greater Philadelphia area is a much more interesting and beautiful place than Chicagoland (no shade to Chicagoland, seriously, I just love greater Philadelphia), and the easy access to the rest of the East Coast is fantastic. There's nice hiking in the city via Wissahickon Valley Park (part of the greater Fairmount Park system), plus mountains within an hour of the city. Small towns/cities nearby like New Hope, Lancaster, Jim Thorpe, etc. are probably right up your alley. And yes, overall I'll take Philadelphia's weather for better four season balance, but Chicago does have nicer summers than ours.

BTW, it's very sad to hear about Chicago's Boystown. I haven't been since 2013 and I absolutely loved it then. I'm sure there are "old timers" that still refer to it as such.

OP, based upon everything you said, I think Philadelphia would be a great fit. Even though Chicago has a larger gay scene, Philly's is still fantastic, and all of the criteria you list make Philadelphia a great choice.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:30 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I agree with a lot of what manitopiaaa said, with a few caveats.

1) there's no denying the gay presence and dating pool is larger in Chicago. Philadelphia is a top city for gay presence, dating and nightlife, but Chicago is surely one of the few that outdoes us. IMO, both pack enough of a punch that other factors should be considered. I do agree with what others said about how our Gayborhood's location right in Center City is really fantastic.

2) Re: politics, I actually love living in Pennsylvania and voting somewhere in which my vote really matters.

But yeah, IMO the greater Philadelphia area is a much more interesting and beautiful place than Chicagoland (no shade to Chicagoland, seriously, I just love greater Philadelphia), and the easy access to the rest of the East Coast is fantastic. There's nice hiking in the city via Wissahickon Valley Park (part of the greater Fairmount Park system), plus mountains within an hour of the city. Small towns/cities nearby like New Hope, Lancaster, Jim Thorpe, etc. are probably right up your alley. And yes, overall I'll take Philadelphia's weather for better four season balance, but Chicago does have nicer summers than ours.

BTW, it's very sad to hear about Chicago's Boystown. I haven't been since 2013 and I absolutely loved it then. I'm sure there are "old timers" that still refer to it as such.

OP, based upon everything you said, I think Philadelphia would be a great fit. Even though Chicago has a larger gay scene, Philly's is still fantastic, and all of the criteria you list make Philadelphia a great choice.
I would also add that Pennsylvania being a swing state also means Democrats there are far more technocratic and managerial than in Illinois. An activist Chicago non-profit can write some awful bill, message it as “social justice” and Pritzker signs without question.

Pennsylvania has people like Tom Wolf and Josh Shapiro who are incredibly capable because they can’t coast due to the lean of the state. It’s close enough that if either party nominates a wacko bird (see Mastriano), they lose.

Suburbanites and working-class Whites in Pennsylvania are also extremely elastic by national standards. So if you’re seen as extreme on both ends, Bucks County drops you like a rock and NE PA is gone.

Maybe it’s because I’m moderate Dem, but that’s what has long drawn me to Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:04 PM

474 posts, read 530,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would vote for Philadelphia.

As far as cities, Chicago is a bit more dynamic and a bit more of a draw in general, but far, far too harsh in the winter.
Also, the boystown area is one of my least favorite "gay districts" in the US. I've been only once, but not enough overall diversity was present for that gay district.

Personally, the east coast area overall offers much more than the midwest, in general: access to DC, Jersey beaches, NYC, Boston, Cape Cod, coastal Maine, upstate NY and the Catskills, Vermont skiing, and Long Island beaches.

I see a better overall future for Philly, as opposed to Chicago, in general too. But I do like both cities.

Chicago to visit and Philly to live for me.
I find that a lot of urban gay districts are rather lacking in diversity, but agree that Boystown is a particularly egregious example of this. Granted, there are more diverse ***** communities in other North Side neighborhoods like Edgewater, Rogers Park, etc.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:56 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I find that a lot of urban gay districts are rather lacking in diversity, but agree that Boystown is a particularly egregious example of this. Granted, there are more diverse ***** communities in other North Side neighborhoods like Edgewater, Rogers Park, etc.
Agreed.

Boystown is by no means an outlier to gentrification. Looking at the demographics of places like Chelsea and Gayborhood, they are all overwhelmingly white. Boystown is also by no means the only gay neighborhood in Chicago. My neighborhood in Roger Park had a strong gay community with some good bars, and I always enjoy Pride North. The "gay beach" is in Edgewater. Also Andersonville, another gay neighborhood in the city.

The only way Philly wins this argument is by the city's proximity to other things. Dating is a numbers game and Chicago has a substantially larger lgbt population. I guess you could drive to DC and NYC for dates if you want to expand your choices.

Also, Pennsylvania still contains a statue ban on gay marriage. It's a complicated choice you have to make, but I always hated the idea of paying taxes to a state that doesn't support my equal rights, even if the federal government forces the state. Illinois is considered one of the most friendly to LGBT in the nation, but lol at people thinking Illinois is run by woke liberals. We just had a Republican governor hand-picked by Ken Griffin a couple years back. The state is more moderate than one would think.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:36 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Also, Pennsylvania still contains a statue ban on gay marriage. It's a complicated choice you have to make, but I always hated the idea of paying taxes to a state that doesn't support my equal rights, even if the federal government forces the state.
I'm not sure what's "complicated," as the law of the land is the law of the land.

You're referring to a very esoteric legal technicality that's moot and has no practical impact, especially as Pennsylvania's DOMA law was originally struck down by a federal judge in 2014, well before federal legislation that was just signed.

It's also a mischaracterization to say that PA doesn't support equal rights, when marriage equality is widely supported relative to public opinion.

What you really mean to say is that PA has a dysfunctional state legislature that is literally always at loggerheads to accomplish anything progressive and substantial (although there's hope that will be different in 2023), but that legislature doesn't at all reflect the will of the people (gerrymandering was the principal culprit for that prior to 2022).

Last edited by Duderino; 01-01-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-01-2023, 11:47 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Hmm Chicago is the better city, obviously, but Philadelphia is closer to better areas. Chicago is secluded.

Im not sure about Gay Life as I don't participate in it. But Chicagos is in a super vibrant area. Boystown. That area is my favorite area (northside chicago) in the country. So i think it would beat out any city in the US.

But Philadelphia is lucky to have more nearby like the Shore, Cape Cod, NYC, and Providence. Which are all gay getaways i think.

However one thing i dont like about New York and Bostons gay scene is I find them overrun with gay white males that are pretty awful human beings (very mean, pro-gentrification, etc). Its a big L. However, I have a feeling based on people I met that Philadelphia is the opposite. Philadelphians are absolutely great people, and the gay men are much more down to earth and less of that white privilege/caddy BS you see in the rest of the northeast. Im gay too but like it's annoying as hell. Thats why edge for Philly

Idk tho.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-01-2023 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-01-2023, 11:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Yeah, this is true. Boystown tends to cater to only one main group of LGBTQ+.

When I lived in Atlanta, it was always pretty diverse, considering its size. But it was a draw for gays from all over the southeast, too.

NYC's is crazy diverse, but there are pockets and bars where it's just one group or another.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:29 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not sure what's "complicated," as the law of the land is the law of the land.

You're referring to a very esoteric legal technicality that's moot and has no practical impact, especially as Pennsylvania's DOMA law was originally struck down by a federal judge in 2014, well before federal legislation that was just signed.

It's also a mischaracterization to say that PA doesn't support equal rights, when marriage equality is widely supported relative to public opinion.

What you really mean to say is that PA has a dysfunctional state legislature that is literally always at loggerheads to accomplish anything progressive and substantial (although there's hope that will be different in 2023), but that legislature doesn't at all reflect the will of the people (gerrymandering was the principal culprit for that prior to 2022).

What mischaracterization? I didn't say anything about public opinion. The state has a ban. Period. Justify it all you want.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:29 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, this is true. Boystown tends to cater to only one main group of LGBTQ+.

When I lived in Atlanta, it was always pretty diverse, considering its size. But it was a draw for gays from all over the southeast, too.

NYC's is crazy diverse, but there are pockets and bars where it's just one group or another.
I think for NYC is either one or the other. Its either one group (Entitled White Gay Men who are typically racist or self-absorbed) or a diverse crowd between all groups. Ive seen some pretty f'd up crap within the gay scene in Manhattan (And Boston too...). i can only assume it continues into Chicago based on the demographics. I could be wrong.

But Philadelphia seems to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City