Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy2160 View Post
As a 30s gay man living in Chicago, I agree mostly with everything.

One thing I don't think was mentioned is Chicago has a lower Cost of Living. Going out is definitely more expensive in Philly.

Chicago has beaches, including a gay beach - which is a major plus imo. Philly doesn't have that unless you drive over an hour to Jersey.

Chicago has more than one gay areas. Boystown is the party area that attracts more of the younger gay men (teens to early 30s). Andersonville has a more relaxed vibe and attracts more of the older gay men.

Chicago does have a colder climate but Philly isn't the tropics. You're going to be dressing in layers either way!
Oh and Chicago has the superior food scene.

If most of your friends are on the east coast then Philly would be the better fit for you.
What makes you think going out in Philadelphia is definitely more expensive? I know plenty of great places to get a good deal.

Also, both cities are great for restaurants. They both have such unending variety re: both cuisine and price range that it is hard to make a case for one restaurant scene over the other. There are just so many to choose from in either city.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Andersonville's gay scene feels more robust than any of Philadelphia's "second" gayborhoods, but as MarketStEl pointed out, we have neighborhoods known as LGBTQ mini-hubs such as East Passyunk, Mt Airy, Cedar Park, and Manayunk. All are known for having a high percent of LGBTQ residents, and/or having their own Pride / Outfest events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 01:41 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy2160 View Post
Oh and Chicago has the superior food scene.
One critique...

Both cities offer incredible food experiences. Your average gay (or anyone) would not find Philadelphia underwhelming or lacking in this department. An irrelevant argument between these two cities (IMO).

Old 01-07-2023, 02:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
One critique...

Both cities offer incredible food experiences. Your average gay (or anyone) would not find Philadelphia underwhelming or lacking in this department. An irrelevant argument between these two cities (IMO).
Glad you pointed that out. Chicago no doubt has a great food scene, and a clear culinary epicenter of the Midwest. But Philadelphia absolutely more than holds its own in the food department, and arguably comes out ahead of Chicago on a per capita basis.

It has no analog for the Reading Terminal Market, as one example.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:28 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
What makes you think going out in Philadelphia is definitely more expensive? I know plenty of great places to get a good deal.

Also, both cities are great for restaurants. They both have such unending variety re: both cuisine and price range that it is hard to make a case for one restaurant scene over the other. There are just so many to choose from in either city.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Andersonville's gay scene feels more robust than any of Philadelphia's "second" gayborhoods, but as MarketStEl pointed out, we have neighborhoods known as LGBTQ mini-hubs such as East Passyunk, Mt Airy, Cedar Park, and Manayunk. All are known for having a high percent of LGBTQ residents, and/or having their own Pride / Outfest events.
Now that a new brewpub will take over the late, lamented Earth / Bread + Brewery in Mt. Airy, maybe it's time to revive the weekly Northwest Philly LGBTQ Chat 'n' Chew.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:34 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
NC-born, lived in Chicago for my 20s, settled in DC at 30 but Philly was the second choice. Was just there for New Year's, too, and had a 70-minute wait for SEPTA to prove it.

Most of what I would've said has been covered above. The city of Chicago is about twice as large by population -- but Chicago is definitely the only worthwhile thing around for 300 miles. (Milwaukee and Indianapolis are... fine, but not much to write home about.)

Philadelphia, OTOH, is at the midpoint of Megalopolis: the population within 100 miles is more than twice that around Chicago. It's also a city that people generally enjoy visiting: certainly Washingtonians and Baltimoreans consider it a step up, but it's also the rare place New Yorkers might deign occasionally worthy of their presence. (Unlike, say, exurban New Jersey.) And not just other cities are nearby: Philadelphia is closer to Rehoboth and Fire Island than Chicago is to Saugatuck, and as an added bonus you won't find exactly the same crowd of guys there as at home. I've known people who've done long-distance relationships between all three cities, and I'd say it's possible due to strong transit links and the availability of neutral third places to vacation in.

Career prospects are helped by what's outside the city as well, especially as NYC or Delaware-based corporate jobs finally allow more hybrid/remote work.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
I'd say Chicago, but I imagine Philly may have a shorter and less cold Winter season.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
NC-born, lived in Chicago for my 20s, settled in DC at 30 but Philly was the second choice. Was just there for New Year's, too, and had a 70-minute wait for SEPTA to prove it.

Most of what I would've said has been covered above. The city of Chicago is about twice as large by population -- but Chicago is definitely the only worthwhile thing around for 300 miles. (Milwaukee and Indianapolis are... fine, but not much to write home about.)

Philadelphia, OTOH, is at the midpoint of Megalopolis: the population within 100 miles is more than twice that around Chicago. It's also a city that people generally enjoy visiting: certainly Washingtonians and Baltimoreans consider it a step up, but it's also the rare place New Yorkers might deign occasionally worthy of their presence. (Unlike, say, exurban New Jersey.) And not just other cities are nearby: Philadelphia is closer to Rehoboth and Fire Island than Chicago is to Saugatuck, and as an added bonus you won't find exactly the same crowd of guys there as at home. I've known people who've done long-distance relationships between all three cities, and I'd say it's possible due to strong transit links and the availability of neutral third places to vacation in.

Career prospects are helped by what's outside the city as well, especially as NYC or Delaware-based corporate jobs finally allow more hybrid/remote work.
Yep. As much as some people on C-D like to scoff at Philadelphia's location as a key asset, there's no denying many people find the connectivity of living on the East Coast along Amtrak's Northeast Regional to be a major quality of life benefit. Philadelphia is a near-perfect locale for me considering how my friends, loved ones, and favorite places to visit are scattered across the East.

Funny you'd bring up the long-distance relationship bit. I hesitantly agreed to such an arrangement when my partner moved to Baltimore for grad school. And you're right, it's not so bad with all of the transit connectivity.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:00 AM

39 posts, read 24,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Your entire comment was very good. Although I moved from Illinois 10 years ago, up to that point I had lived in Andersonville for 9 years and absolutely LOVED it! What a great gayborhood for gays who are done with the superficiality of Boystown but still want to be among their own kind. In addition to that, the "regular" folk have no issues at all with the gay vibe of the neighborhood. Straight residents in Andersonville drink and dine and shop alongside the gay residents as if there was NO difference in sexual orientation. I am sad that I left, but it was family issues that brought me back to the state where I was raised. If that situation changes, I would love to be back in Andersonville, but I'm afraid I would be priced out at this point. I am happy to come back and visit a couple of times each year.
Oh I agree. I’ve lived in Inwood Manhattan, downtown Denver, Andersonville Chicago and now The Heights in Jersey City. Andersonville was by my favorite neighborhood. I only moved for a better opportunity in New York. I was a server at the time and worked at a sushi spot on N Clark (Tanoshii if you’re familiar). Lots of cute little shops, restaurants and bars. Having Little Vietnam in walking distance is something I miss so much. All the Pho, Bahn Mi and Boba Tea you can possibly imagine all right up the road. The gay scene was generally 30 and up, but tbh I preferred the more relaxed vibes over Boystown. Having the gay beach nearby was just another flex. It felt too good to be true for me at the time when I was living on a tighter budget. I was renting a room though so for me it was cheaper. I don’t consider it too expensive though (compared to what I’m paying now anyway ) even if you opt for Uptown, Edgewater or Rogers Park. There’s definitely a lot more doable options.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:15 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yep. As much as some people on C-D like to scoff at Philadelphia's location as a key asset, there's no denying many people find the connectivity of living on the East Coast along Amtrak's Northeast Regional to be a major quality of life benefit. Philadelphia is a near-perfect locale for me considering how my friends, loved ones, and favorite places to visit are scattered across the East.

Funny you'd bring up the long-distance relationship bit. I hesitantly agreed to such an arrangement when my partner moved to Baltimore for grad school. And you're right, it's not so bad with all of the transit connectivity.
People that use that are biased or ignorant. Proximity to other cities should be important.

Old 01-08-2023, 04:16 PM

424 posts, read 466,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I'm contemplating a move to these two cities and am curious to hear peoples perspectives on what each offers, especially for gay men in their 30s.

I'm leaning towards Philly because I prefer row houses, the weather, proximity to NYC/DC/Beaches/Mountains, vibe, etc. That said, I know Chicago is an amazing city with a much larger gay population. But I have concerns over the weather and location since most my friends are on the east coast.

I know Chicago's gay population is significantly larger. I'm curious if anyone can speak to if Philly dating is supplemented by NYC and DC being nearby? Maybe that offsets it being smaller than Chicago?

Any other insights are welcomed as well!
I am a gay Latino male in my early 30s. I am originally from Southern California and my boyfriend (also in his early 30s) is originally from rural North Carolina (Appalachia).

We both moved here in the late 2010s and met just before the start of the Covid pandemic. We both really love Chicago.

While Chicago may not be a close train ride from New York, it can definitely hold it's own against Philadelphia.

Concerning residential architecture, Chicago is a city of row houses, 2-flats, 3-flats, courtyard apartments, bungalows, detached American foursquare houses, and residential high rises. You will find of plenty of charming, historic, and relatively affordable housing here. In addition, most blocks have alleys so unsightly garbage and garage doors are hidden from view. As others have mentioned in previous posts, Chicago is one of the most undervalued global cities.

Regarding proximity to beaches, Philadelphia might be closer to the ocean, but Chicago has municipal beaches, dunes, light houses, and marinas all in the city proper. The Great Lakes are majestic and beautiful, and during the summer months the lake has the same turquoise color as the Caribbean.

As a gay couple, we both feel extremely safe and thankful to live in a progressive city and in a state where conservatives don't control the state government. We currently live in the Boystown area and we love having LGBTQ focused amenities like Howard Brown health, LGBT businesses, bars, restaurants, etc. within walking distance. Although we are considering moving to Andersonville, Chicago's other gay neighborhood.

My only qualm with Boystown is that it is not called Boystown anymore....having lived in Southern California, then San Francisco, and now Chicago my observation is that established gay neighborhoods around the US are becoming less gay as young straight people and straight families move in, but I digress.

Lastly, Chicago might seem like it's surrounded by nothing by corn fields, but when Chicagoans want to get out of the city, the forested shores and communities around lake Michigan and Michigan's upper peninsula are their favored weekend excursions. The gays in particular love going to Saugatuck, MI for weekend getaways.

If you have any questions about Chicago feel free to send me a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City