Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 01:22 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,718,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hudson County vs Boston would’ve been perfect
I still think Hudson County wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 06:37 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
NJ is not the extreme northeast. Many consider it to be mid-Atlantic.
Northern nj is extreme is extreme northeast to me, but still mid Atlantic.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:56 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Well its tricky because the bolded part is an objective fact. The next part (third sentance) starts with an opinion. The first sentance starts with an opinion(how it feels to him) that most people already agree with.

Whether or not Hudson county functions like single cities its size and whether or not it's comparable to them is the part that seems most open to debate so I'd be interested to hear the reasoning for that
Sure but it was made in a point to take away from its urban completeness relative to a Seattle or Boston. When in reality, NYC, Seattle, Boston and San Francisco are all topographically restrained lol. Im not sure why its different in North Jersey? Like yeah it is. But so is everywhere else except LA (kinda)

Old 01-03-2023, 07:22 AM

971 posts, read 729,142 times
Yes, there are marshes on the western periphery of Hudson County, but as previously mentioned Secaucus (which barely feels like Hudson County) and Kearny (which is mostly industrial) are not part of the county's core. I've lived here for 12 years now and never been to Kearny, and only been to Secaucus to go to an indoor jungle gym that hosts kids' birthday parties.

Jersey City-Hoboken-Weehawken-Union City-North Bergen form the core of Hudson County (and contain 90% of it's population), and it is uninterrupted with the exception of the Palisades separating Union City/North Bergen from JC/Hoboken/Weehawken.

That said, I do acknowledge that it doesn't feel like a singular city, though downtown JC/Hoboken basically does. I've been to Seattle a handful of times and actually love it, but it is much more medium-density neighborhoods vs. the extremely dense & urban (and stressful) Hudson county.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
I’d say Hudson county is more classically urban than almost anywhere in the US. The public transit, walkability, and urban housing stock (brownstones, rowhomes, residential highrises and skyscrapers) are things that I take into account when I think about this topic. Yeah, it’s mainly because of Hudson county being on the border of Manhattan, but you’d be surprised how many people live over there and don’t really care to come into the city often.

I often find myself lately admiring the view of the Jersey(!) skyline from the west side of Manhattan, which until recently would’ve sounded crazy to me, lol. I think skylines are on the bottom of the list of what makes a place “urban” tbh, but most of these new buildings popping up in Jersey are residential, and in this country residential skyscraper living is not extremely common, but it’s also my dream type of urban home.

Re: Secaucus, I never thought of Secaucus to be much more than a transit hub. I know people live there, but it’s really only relevant because of the train station that provides so many connections.

I wish that Seattle hadn’t voted down the rapid transit system when they were given the option. I only wonder what could’ve been. I haven’t been to Seattle in a while, but I’ve heard good things and that they’re improving on that front. I’ve also heard they’re going through a skyscraper boom as well. Are there lots of residential skyscrapers in Seattle?

Old 01-05-2023, 01:42 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
The Seattle area allows residential highrises over 200' (for example) in very limited areas, though these have been expanding. Almost everything existing or UC is in greater Downtown, the U District, or Downtown Bellevue.

Off the top of my head 16 residential towers over 200' are under construction in these areas. It's slowed a bit. Several others are in site prep or appear to be planning starts by spring.

Woodframes are the predominant multifamily building type. Due to recent upzones many are eight stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City