Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 04:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think you have Atlanta and Miami switched.
Atlanta passed Miami a few years ago.

The 2021 estimates: southern and NE cities in the top 50 shown

New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA 19,768.46
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 7,759.62
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX 7,206.84

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 6,356.43
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 6,228.6
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA 6,144.05
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-
Pompano Beach, FL 6,091.75
Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH 4,899.93

Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 3,219.51
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD 2,838.33
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC 2,701.05
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 2,691.93
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 2,601.79
Pittsburgh, PA 2,353.54
Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX 2,352.43
Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro-- 2,012.489k
Virginia Beach- VA-NC 1,803.33
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA 1,675.77
Jacksonville, FL 1,637.67
Raleigh-Cary, NC 1,448.41

Oklahoma City, OK 1,441.65
Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1,336.1
Richmond, VA 1,324.06
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 1,284.57
New Orleans-Metairie, LA 1,261.73
Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown, CT 1,211.91

Bos-wash is in red, SE in blue and Texas in green.

I think you would have to include all of the south to even have a spot in the conversation. The SE corridor might not even emerge as#1 in the south, let alone #2 in the country

The Piedmont Corridor is only 18.5M

The Texas Triangle is over 23M
The Florida Corridor is approx 20M
The Gulf Coast is about 14M

The NE is over 50M.
Well, you are splicing away Florida m. Florida is literally in the southeast United States. Add it back, the south most definitely has a case for 2nd.

When people separate Florida they usually mean culturally, not really geographically. Jax is four hours and Tampa is about 6… Miami 9.

Honestly proximity is just different here because of how we are built, those aren’t far to most of us here.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I don't know why it hasn't been updates in so long(wiki) but Charlotte's metro is over 2.9 million and csa 3.1 million

No, I get you love Charlotte, but it’s not quite that high.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...sc-metro-area/

This site is always most accurate.

In any case, that doesn’t change much. As an ex Charlotte “hater” I’m proud of Charlotte ( and Nash) for what it is, and contributes to the region. Let’s just be objective though.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:54 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Well, you are splicing away Florida m. Florida is literally in the southeast United States. Add it back, the south most definitely has a case for 2nd.

When people separate Florida they usually mean culturally, not really geographically. Jax is four hours and Tampa is about 6… Miami 9.

Honestly proximity is just different here because of how we are built, those aren’t far to most of us here.
Also, isn't DC defined as the south? At least, according to the Census. No region in the country can compete with the NE, it's the oldest region and had a major head start on the others.

The SE will not be able to compete with the NE no matter how fast Charlotte and Nashville grows. Now, if you included Texas, I think the south is solidified as 2nd regardless of LA and SF. Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami arguably are top 10 cities. In the NE, you have NYC, Boston, Washington (if you include it) and Philly. No other region have as many top tier cities. I didn't take a look at the 2nd tier cities but I know each region is full of them.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:

The Florida megaregion is separate from the Piedmont region, but even adding Florida the two regions together still falls short of 2nd as the great lakes region is still above 50M.

The best case is to have the south as a region as a whole, only then does it beat the NE and the midwest.
But the area would be huge. 2nd only to the West in land area.

Then again, you might as well add the midwest to the NorthEast and in that case the north and south would both be about 116.5M. Dead even.

2025 Megaregion predictions:
https://brilliantmaps.com/usa-mega-regions/

1. Great Lakes: 60.7 million (55.5 million) – includes Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit

2. Northeast: 58.4 million (52.3 million) – includes New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington

3. Southern California: 29 million (24.4 million) – includes Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas

4. Texas Triangle: 24.8 million (19.7 million) – includes Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin

5. Piedmont Atlantic: 21.7 million (17.6 million) – includes Atlanta

6. Florida: 21.5 million (17.3 million) – includes Miami, Orlando, and Tampa Bay

7. Northern California: 16.4 million (14 million) – includes San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland

8. Gulf Coast: 16.3 million (13.4 million) – includes Houston and New Orleans

9. Cascadia: 13.5 million (12.4 million) – includes Vancouver. Seattle and Portland

10. Arizona Sun Corridor: 7.8 million (5.6 million) – includes Phoenix

11. Front Range: 6.9 million (5.5 million) – includes Denver

Old 02-24-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think people forget other regions are growing too.

In the last decade, NYC (city limits) added more people than the entire city of Atlanta. The NY metropolitan area in the last decade has added around 50% of the entire population of metropolitan Nashville.

The DC metropolitan area added as many people in the last decade as Charlotte & Nashville did combined.

Boston’s metropolitan area added more than Nashville & the same as Charlotte
Philadelphia metropolitan area added around the same as Nashville.

Asking when they will catapult the south to the Bos-Wash corridor is like asking when Greenville SC is going to surpass Charlotte because it’s growing way faster & GrubHub Articles rank it as a great low cost place that’s growing, etc.
https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...nta/population

I think that 2010 number is low, but Atlanta grew by over 1 million from that time on. NYC has been in the 8 million range since before then, and a lot of that is people relocating from the burbs to gentrified inner city, not true transplants moving from down to up there .. no one really does that, makes no economic sense.

Also, DC is more on par population wise with Miami and Atlanta, Charlotte and Nash combined won’t even get you 5 million people, so of course DC might have more raw number growth. It’s still growing faster as a percentage, and definitely isn’t touching Atlanta and the attractive Florida cities Miami and Tampa.

And DC metro extends into south, so this kinda proves the point here. I’m sure PG and Montgomery are hot right now because of how much space you get, and the price to reflect that. You all are not a true northeastern metro area.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:03 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Between 2010 - 2020,

New York MSA: +1,173,000
Washington (DC) MSA: +706,000
Boston MSA: +370,000
Philadelphia: +270,000
Baltimore: +125,000

Atlanta MSA: +798,000
Charlotte MSA: +419,478
Nashville MSA: +344,000
Miami MSA: +542,000
Orlando MSA: +538,000
Tampa MSA: +395,000

It’s kind of apples to oranges of an entire region vs. the primary cities along I-95 in the Boston-Washington corridor. It doesn’t make much sense anymore than saying South Carolina is more populated than Nashville’s metropolitan area.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Between 2010 - 2020,

New York MSA: +1,173,000
Washington (DC) MSA: +706,000
Boston MSA: +370,000
Philadelphia: +270,000
Baltimore: +125,000

Atlanta MSA: +798,000
Charlotte MSA: +419,478
Nashville MSA: +344,000
Miami MSA: +542,000
Orlando MSA: +538,000
Tampa MSA: +395,000

It’s kind of apples to oranges of an entire region vs. the primary cities along I-95 in the Boston-Washington corridor. It doesn’t make much sense anymore than saying South Carolina is more populated than Nashville’s metropolitan area.
I don’t know what your paragraph means, but you don’t understand proportional growth rate that’s on you. Boston, Philly and Bmore is very slow growth in comparison. Even Greenville is growing as fast as Bmore in raw numbers. Also, between 2020 and now all the Covid remote workers who moved south to have cheaper rent while keeping their job in NY and Boston is a real thing, I’d be curious to see that data.

You are so happy to leave Charlotte, but you’ve only been in DC for a little bit. Don’t be one of those. At least hit your 15 year anniversary there before you boost that whole region lol

Old 02-24-2023, 05:19 PM

719 posts, read 494,208 times
Quote:
No, I get you love Charlotte, but it’s not quite that high.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...sc-metro-area/

This site is always most accurate.

In any case, that doesn’t change much. As an ex Charlotte “hater” I’m proud of Charlotte ( and Nash) for what it is, and contributes to the region. Let’s just be objective though.
No its not that I'm a Charlotte lover of anything. I am a transplant who has lived here in the city for 10 years now and the numbers put out here are different. Remember I'm a DC native. In any case I don't want to derail this thread at all so no worries

Old 02-24-2023, 05:25 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...nta/population

I think that 2010 number is low, but Atlanta grew by over 1 million from that time on. NYC has been in the 8 million range since before then, and a lot of that is people relocating from the burbs to gentrified inner city, not true transplants moving from down to up there .. no one really does that, makes no economic sense.

Also, DC is more on par population wise with Miami and Atlanta, Charlotte and Nash combined won’t even get you 5 million people, so of course DC might have more raw number growth. It’s still growing faster as a percentage, and definitely isn’t touching Atlanta and the attractive Florida cities Miami and Tampa.

And DC metro extends into south, so this kinda proves the point here. I’m sure PG and Montgomery are hot right now because of how much space you get, and the price to reflect that. You all are not a true northeastern metro area.
I don’t use Statista because it always seems way off.

US Census Numbers:

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...20-alldata.csv

2010 ATL MSA: 5,286,728
2020 ATL MSA: 6,089,815

Maybe I read it wrong but k always found Statista to have pretty varying population figures vs. other sources which are consistent.

It also makes a lot of economy sense to leave a giant house in the suburb, get rid of having a vehicle per adult and sometimes child and getting a smaller house in a denser city and having 1 car or less per household. That makes more economic sense than spending all that money on vehicles, insurance, so much yard work etc.

“No one really moves to very populated mega cities, there’s too many people there” I think the cities actually do get more transplants and more international transplants Vs. “Lower cost” cities. Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, New York attract people in a way that a Charlotte attracts people.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
No its not that I'm a Charlotte lover of anything. I am a transplant who has lived here in the city for 10 years now and the numbers put out here are different. Remember I'm a DC native. In any case I don't want to derail this thread at all so no worries
Lol You definitely love and defend it. And 10+ years is a long time. Especially if you made that move in your younger adult years. It’s home

However, the most accurate stat is still 2.7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City