Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 05:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I don’t know what your paragraph means, but you don’t understand proportional growth rate that’s on you. Boston, Philly and Bmore is very slow growth in comparison. Even Greenville is growing as fast as Bmore in raw numbers. Also, between 2020 and now all the Covid remote workers who moved south to have cheaper rent while keeping their job in NY and Boston is a real thing, I’d be curious to see that data.

You are so happy to leave Charlotte, but you’ve only been in DC for a little bit. Don’t be one of those. At least hit your 15 year anniversary there before you boost that whole region lol
I’ve been in DC for 5 years. I’m Brazilian.

I’m only 30 so I’m not obsessed with staying in Georgia my entire life like you.

I don’t understand proportions? Yet you’re comparing the entire southeast to literally a corridor in between Boston & Washington… Not even counting Pittsburgh. Just that little strip.

You’re comparing metropolitan areas to entire states and regions. The Covid data is flawed and should finally be normalizing. We already see trends where bluer denser cities are recovering stronger in certain data points and growth rates (like GDP etc.) 2023 will be probably the 1st year data is consistent and most places are settling post-Covid.

If people are fleeing high density cities/regions that are so crowded that no one wants to be there anymore, what makes you think Atlanta or some other cities could become as large and dense without having the same problem?

You created a thread, when will Nashville & Charlotte be big enough of metropolitan areas to help Atlanta and Miami compete with the Bos-Wash corridor. And it’s logical to you they’ll be on par with Bos-Wash because it’s so dense and crowded so everyone will flee there thus making Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Charlotte just as crowded and dense?

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-24-2023 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 06:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
How long before Charlotte and Nashville became legit major metros, will this be enough to help Miami-Atlanta-Tampa stretch compete with NY through DC?
What does Miami and Tampa have to do with Charlotte and Nashville? That's over 900 miles away. Nashville is almost 250 miles closer to Washington DC than it is to Miami. I think you'd want to break the two regions up. I-85/I-40 corridor + Nashville, and leave FL out of it.

None of this will ever compare to the NE megalopolis in density or relevance aside from a natural or foreign disaster tbh.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:07 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Boston is the northern anchor of the NE corridor.
Yeah sure it is.

Pittsburgh routinely gets singled out for having "not much around", while Boston is just right there in the thick of things even though its 80 miles further from NYC than Pittsburgh is from Cleveland.

At any rate, OP specified NY to DC, so looks like I have company in this interpretation.

Does anyone have away to get the density of these megaregions?

Old 02-24-2023, 07:08 PM

719 posts, read 494,208 times
Quote:
Lol You definitely love and defend it. And 10+ years is a long time. Especially if you made that move in your younger adult years. It’s home

However, the most accurate stat is still 2.7.
Well to be fair I'm 43 so I will definitely take that younger compliment lol. I was 33 when I moved to Charlotte. But we will agree to disagree on numbers. That 2.6 million that was posted earlier is definitely inacurate and that 2.7 million is from 2019 here soo...no worries. Nevertheless if a city has over 2 million and meets certain other criteria it is definitely major. In Charlotte's case it is a top 20 metro and Nashville has other factors that make it major. So there you go. By the way I was just in Atlanta a few weeks ago and had a good time.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:19 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You think the likes of Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Charlotte and Tampa are equivalent to the likes of Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Hartford, Providence and DC? Those are some high hopes.

I think the South can match up to the West or Midwest (when you factor in the Texas cities) but even with the Texas Cities the NE is still the king
Yeah... I think it'll be a long time before a southern city ever joins the ranks of NYC, LA, SF, DC, Boston, etc. IMO. But not impossible though.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Between 2010 - 2020,

New York MSA: +1,173,000
Washington (DC) MSA: +706,000
Boston MSA: +370,000
Philadelphia: +270,000
Baltimore: +125,000

Atlanta MSA: +798,000
Charlotte MSA: +419,478
Nashville MSA: +344,000
Miami MSA: +542,000
Orlando MSA: +538,000
Tampa MSA: +395,000

It’s kind of apples to oranges of an entire region vs. the primary cities along I-95 in the Boston-Washington corridor. It doesn’t make much sense anymore than saying South Carolina is more populated than Nashville’s metropolitan area.
Southern cities are growing faster in population but that’s only one factor in “importance”.

The NE corridor MSA’s have faster percentage GDP growth, are wealthier per capita, are more educated, are international trade centers, anchor more important industries and that hasn’t changed in decades.

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-24-2023 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 07:57 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Southern cities are growing faster in population but that’s only one factor in “importance”.

The NE corridor MSA’s have faster percentage GDP growth, are wealthier per capita, are more educated, are international trade centers, anchor more important industries and that hasn’t changed in decades.
Exactly. I feel like on here we talk a ton about population and that is important but that’s only one piece of the puzzle — GDP, income, industries, talent pool, education, wealth, networking, all those things play important factors.

Tesla yelled from the mountain tops not too long ago about moving their HQ from California to Texas… only today to announce they’re moving back to CA. Or then tried to clarify it’s their “Engineering HQ” moving back to California but it’s not really that surprising when you realize the amount of capital that exists in that space in California and that goes to the point that population matters but there’s a whole other holistic aspect too.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:17 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
No

Old 02-25-2023, 12:34 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Midwest? Indy, Columbus, Cincy, KC, St. Louis (closer to 3M)...not to mention Detroit and Cleveland which are still big despite losing a fair amount of population. Pittsburgh while not technically "Midwest" is the anchor of the so-call "ChiPitts" megaregion.

And as I already said - the southeast cities are not particular close to each other especially if you throw Florida in the equation. Florida is a world of its own either way. Yes, Charlotte has grown a lot, as did RDU, as did Nashville. They don't come close to, let say, Philly alone let alone NYC.
There is no such thing as a ChiPitt mega region. I’m from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is northeast and always has been.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:50 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
How long before Charlotte and Nashville became legit major metros, will this be enough to help Miami-Atlanta-Tampa stretch compete with NY through DC?

There will never be a Miami, Atlanta, and Tampa "stretch." Drop that. Like, now.

However, we can start talking about the Southern Crescent or the Southern Appalachian Crescent:

The Southern Crescent Mega-Region (should be renamed from Piedmont-Atlantic)

Raleigh/Research Triangle<--> <-->Piedmont Triad<-->Charlotte<-->Greenville<-->ATLANTA<-->Birmingham<-->Huntsville <-->Nashville

{And...ATLANTA <-->Chattanooga<-->Knoxville<-->Tri-Cities}

*Could also be called The Southern Appalachian Crescent Mega-Region

Description:

Atlanta is the fulcrum, the heart.

One arm stretches northeast to Raleigh/Research Triangle via Charlotte and the Piedmont Triad.

Another arm stretches west, then north to Nashville via Birmingham and Huntsville.

A big finger stretches north to Chattanooga, Knoxville, and the Tri-Cities.

Three little fingers stretch to Columbus/Opelika-Auburn/Montgomery, Macon/Warner Robins, and Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City