Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 07:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I will say that Midtown strives to be what uptown already is
That's the first I have heard that Midtown Houston is striving to become Uptown Dallas.

Those are completely different types of neighborhoods.
Uptown Dallas is more akin to Uptown Houston.

Midtown Houston is huge in terms of land area so I do see the potential there, but I have not seen anything that hints at it going on the direction of an Uptown Houston/ Dallas or wanting to be an Uptown. Lol, how does a place even want to be another place?

I don't think Dallas has a neighborhood analogous to Midtown Houston despite Uptown Dallas being in the same position that Midtown Houston is. Uptown Dallas is what you would get if you take portions of the galleria and squeezed it in with 4th ward Houston.

But yes, I think Uptown Dallas is already great, it may improve but I don't see it changing that much.

Midtown Houston isn't much yet (along the lines of Uptown Houston/Dallas) but it has lots of room for improvement, which I think is what the thread is asking so that would be my choice. And being sandwiched between Downtown and TMC you can't beat the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 08:26 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,400,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That's the first I have heard that Midtown Houston is striving to become Uptown Dallas.

Midtown Houston is huge in terms of land area so I do see the potential there, but I have not seen anything that hints at it going on the direction of an Uptown Houston/ Dallas or wanting to be an Uptown. Lol, how does a place even want to be another place?

I don't think Dallas has a neighborhood analogous to Midtown Houston despite Uptown Dallas being in the same position that Midtown Houston is. Uptown Dallas is what you would get if you take portions of the galleria and squeezed it in with 4th ward Houston.

But yes, I think Uptown Dallas is already great, it may improve but I don't see it changing that much.

Midtown Houston isn't much yet (along the lines of Uptown Houston/Dallas) but it has lots of room for improvement, which I think is what the thread is asking so that would be my choice. And being sandwiched between Downtown and TMC you can't beat the location.
I don't see the Uptown Dallas / Uptown Houston comparison as at all. Uptown in Dallas is an extension of downtown. Uptown Houston is more like a suburban edge city. I would say Midtown Houston is more like Uptown Dallas and Uptown Houston is more like Legacy West or something.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't see the Uptown Dallas / Uptown Houston comparison as at all. Uptown in Dallas is an extension of downtown. Uptown Houston is more like a suburban edge city. I would say Midtown Houston is more like Uptown Dallas and Uptown Houston is more like Legacy West or something.
You are looking at it purely on location.
I don't think Uptown Houston is like Legacy West at all

Old 02-26-2023, 09:27 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
I have to go with Midtown ......EASILY!!!...Even If they build mid-rise buildings like Uptown Dallas.(They'll probably build taller..It's Houston)

Its much larger than Uptown grid wise......The grid is perfectly connected to downtown and when it builds fully out like Uptown Dallas currently is....It will be REMARKABLE!!!

Mid-Town is kind of just now starting to bloom compared to the Density of Uptown Dallas...But when the ball gets to REALLY rolling like Uptown Dallas did...It will DRASTICAlly change.

Now.......

In Dallas' case

Dallas' Ball has BEEN rolling and even with the limited land available it would take at least 15 or 20 years for Midtown to grow to the point where Uptown is TODAY.....

Uptown Dallas currently has 14 buildings about to be built in one spot......On top of its current state of urbanity.

*Golden Sachs's-5
*Field Street District-5
*Parkside Uptown
*Field Street Gateway Tower
*Routh Street Tower @Routh and Woodall Rodgers
*Harwood No.12-Tallest in Uptown

And..the space shortage might be the silver lining in the situation...The demand for Uptown will spill into the Design District, City-place, and Knox District....

So.....a DRASTIC change for both...With both having potential for the long run.

Last edited by dallasboi; 02-26-2023 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 07:35 AM

Talking about the perfect grid, once Pierce is gone, no one will be able to tell where downtown ends and midtown begins.

My guess is the area referred to as downtown will either extend to McGowen or retreat to Bell. That area between Bell and McGowen seems to be a transition zone where it feels like both.
Maybe it will be a new neighborhood. They already have EaDo maybe SoDo-NoMi

Old 02-27-2023, 09:24 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
You are looking at it purely on location.
I don't think Uptown Houston is like Legacy West at all
Yeah but I wouldn't say Uptown Houston is similar to Uptown Dallas either. Two completely different type of development. Like stated earlier, Uptown Dallas is an extension of Downtown Dallas. Uptown Houston is nothing like that to Downtown Houston.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:59 AM

8,346 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Uptown Houston and Legacy West are nothing alike. Legacy West is like a better version of Sugar Land Town Square. Uptown Houston is like a better version of the Galleria Area/Addison in Dallas.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:00 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:

I guess I meant that Midtown strives to be the walkable urban center that Uptown already is. Probably should have worded it better.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:01 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Uptown Houston and Legacy West are nothing alike. Legacy West is like a better version of Sugar Land Town Square. Uptown Houston is like a better version of the Galleria Area/Addison in Dallas.
I don’t think there’s an uptown Houston equivalent in Dallas. The best comparison is probably Buckhead in Atlanta or Century City in LA or Tysons Corner in DC. I think Legacy West resembles CityCentre or The Woodlands Town Center a lot too.

Last edited by DaBears02; 02-27-2023 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-27-2023, 10:37 AM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Legacy West is more like CityCentre then it is like Sugar Land Town Center. The difference being that LegacyWest has luxury shopping in which it is more similar to Woodlands Town Center in that regard. Other than that, CityCentre is the most legacy west like development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City