Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:04 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

People compare these 2 neighborhoods too much. The one and only similarity they have is that they’re adjacent to the downtowns of the respective cities. For the most part, that’s it.

As mentioned above, Uptown Dallas is more or less an extension of Downtown Dallas (which to be fair, has a more recreational focus than Downtown).

Midtown Houston is not only larger physically, it has a set of sub districts that operate within it such as a nightlife district, HCC’s flagship campus, Ion District (Rice University’s Research Park), and residential areas.

Midtown Houston is also the neighborhood that lies within Downtown and the Museum District/TMC/Rice University/Herman Park corridor. Both of these areas are much more established than Midtown. Midtown has the potential benefit of crossing between the 2 important regions.

There is still development north of Uptown Dallas, but not something of the magnitude of the TMC/Museum Park corridor. Essentially, it’s where the business district of central Dallas ends more or less.

The neighborhood in Houston that’s most similar to Uptown Dallas, would be the northern River Oaks area (Autry Park, Regent Square, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 12:08 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Uptown Houston and Legacy West are nothing alike. Legacy West is like a better version of Sugar Land Town Square. Uptown Houston is like a better version of the Galleria Area/Addison in Dallas.
Either way Uptown Houston is nothing like Uptown Dallas IMO.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:24 PM

355 posts, read 469,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I don’t think there’s an uptown Houston equivalent in Dallas. The best comparison is probably Buckhead in Atlanta or Century City in LA or Tysons Corner in DC. I think Legacy West resembles CityCentre or The Woodlands Town Center a lot too.
Although I prefer the Uptown Houston district due to it being taller and prettier, the Galleria Dallas area has a near identical infrastructure/building plan to what it has:
  • Both have malls (& the same Galleria name) that are the centerpieces to the district. I will agree that Uptown Houston has more upscale retail options than the Dallas counterpart.
  • Both have office parks/buildings along its rather pedestrian unfriendly streets. Post Oak Blvd is very beautiful, admittedly.
  • Both have raging highways flanking the areas
  • Both have upscale and lower-end residential areas in close proximity
  • Both have a combination of strip malls and more dense retail development
  • Both are near major throughways for their respective cities

Old 02-27-2023, 12:26 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Either way Uptown Houston is nothing like Uptown Dallas IMO.
Right but its also nothing like Legacy West. Its more like Uptown Dallas than Legacy West. That said, of course, its like neither.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:51 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Although I prefer the Uptown Houston district due to it being taller and prettier, the Galleria Dallas area has a near identical infrastructure/building plan to what it has:
  • Both have malls (& the same Galleria name) that are the centerpieces to the district. I will agree that Uptown Houston has more upscale retail options than the Dallas counterpart.
  • Both have office parks/buildings along its rather pedestrian unfriendly streets. Post Oak Blvd is very beautiful, admittedly.
Would be cool if eventually Dallas’ Galleria area can spring up to be an Uptown Houston type neighborhood even if it is a smaller version. There’s a few things that get in the way of this possibility (in my opinion). Which are the following:

1. while there is the Galleria Mall there, it’s no Galleria Houston. Galleria Dallas will never be a Galleria Houston. Why? Because NorthPark exists and will keep Galleria Dallas from becoming a premier shopping mall mall in Dallas.

2. A very underrated thing that keeps Uptown Houston in place is that it’s adjacent to River Oaks. As a matter of a fact, the southern part of River Oaks is increasingly becoming an extension of Uptown. Sure there’s Preston Hallow, but it’s not the same as say Highland Villlage. plus Knox Henderson adjacent which drive additional traffic.

3. The distance is much further out.

The location overall isn’t a natural fit to be an Uptown Houston imo.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:52 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I don’t think there’s an uptown Houston equivalent in Dallas. The best comparison is probably Buckhead in Atlanta or Century City in LA or Tysons Corner in DC. I think Legacy West resembles CityCentre or The Woodlands Town Center a lot too.
Yeah I've said this on similar thread. There isn't an Uptown Houston equivalent in DFW.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
I guess I meant that Midtown strives to be the walkable urban center that Uptown already is. Probably should have worded it better.
I'm just teasing.
Midtown isn't trying to be walkable though.
In fact it's just a place, so it's not trying to do anything really. Lol.

And Midtown is already walkable, it already has good public transit, it just has less less of a concentration of attractions to walk to.

I think walk-able is misused on here a lot.
Walk-able is the ability or ease of walking. It's the grid and transit that makes it walkable, not the things you are able to walk to.

If it was the amenity that made the neighborhood walkable, would you consider the median of a highway walkable if you plop that amenity there?

Midtown is extremely walkable, it's just that the amenities are stretched over a larger area.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Would be cool if eventually Dallas’ Galleria area can spring up to be an Uptown Houston type neighborhood even if it is a smaller version. There’s a few things that get in the way of this possibility (in my opinion). Which are the following:

1. while there is the Galleria Mall there, it’s no Galleria Houston. Galleria Dallas will never be a Galleria Houston. Why? Because NorthPark exists and will keep Galleria Dallas from becoming a premier shopping mall mall in Dallas.

2. A very underrated thing that keeps Uptown Houston in place is that it’s adjacent to River Oaks. As a matter of a fact, the southern part of River Oaks is increasingly becoming an extension of Uptown. Sure there’s Preston Hallow, but it’s not the same as say Highland Villlage. plus Knox Henderson adjacent which drive additional traffic.

3. The distance is much further out.

The location overall isn’t a natural fit to be an Uptown Houston imo.
1.....Galleria Dallas is already a premier shopping mall in Dallas....

2.......Everything in between Galleria Dallas and Northpark Center is $$$$...Preston road is money from beginning to end........From Highland park to Frisco.

3.....Right......This is why having Northpark Center in the same exact spot in Dallas as the galleria in Houston is in Houston.... helps the pair play off of each other the same way you THINK River Oaks helps Uptown Houston.....Go look at a map.....Houstons 610 is Dallas' Loop12.....The only difference is Houston Galleria would be at DNT and NW Highway if it was in Dallas....the bookend to Northpark.

Fun Fact:

Houston has no 635 so driving into Houston from Bw8 to 610 seems like forever!!

Imagine the same concept in Dallas without 635...From PGBT to Northwest Highway.

A TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE!!

Last edited by dallasboi; 02-27-2023 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 01:40 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
I have a hard time saying which one I like more between Uptown Dallas and Midtown Houston.

As a neighborhood (walkability, cohesiveness, bones, etc.), Uptown Dallas is superior in almost every way. I can also honestly say that I've never feared being mugged in Uptown Dallas. Crime is significantly worse in Midtown Houston.

That said, I would much rather hang out in Midtown Houston. I cannot stand the crowd in Uptown Dallas. Way too many douchebags. If Im in Dallas, give me Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum, or Lower Greenville.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:42 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Yep, I’d say the redo of Post Oak is nice as well. Before the improvement, it was pretty much (from a streetscape perspective) a suburban style district with huge skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City