Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 01:54 PM

6,704 posts, read 9,958,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I've said this on similar thread. There isn't an Uptown Houston equivalent in DFW.
In terms of height, I don’t think there ever will be. I’m not sure if Dallasites like the idea of a 900+ ft skyscraper that far away from downtown. All the real skyscrpaes are in the downtown area. The rest around the Metroplex are high-rises/mid-rises. People in Uptown, Knox, etc fight against height. Generally, the proposed buildings are in the 350-450 ft range.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Would be cool if eventually Dallas’ Galleria area can spring up to be an Uptown Houston type neighborhood even if it is a smaller version. There’s a few things that get in the way of this possibility (in my opinion). Which are the following:

1. while there is the Galleria Mall there, it’s no Galleria Houston. Galleria Dallas will never be a Galleria Houston. Why? Because NorthPark exists and will keep Galleria Dallas from becoming a premier shopping mall mall in Dallas.

2. A very underrated thing that keeps Uptown Houston in place is that it’s adjacent to River Oaks. As a matter of a fact, the southern part of River Oaks is increasingly becoming an extension of Uptown. Sure there’s Preston Hallow, but it’s not the same as say Highland Villlage. plus Knox Henderson adjacent which drive additional traffic.

3. The distance is much further out.

The location overall isn’t a natural fit to be an Uptown Houston imo.
In terms of a relatively dense concentration of office space and retail in Dallas proper, I think Preston Center too. It’s located at NW Highway (Loop 12) and The Tollway. Good number of mid-rises/high-rises U/C or planned in that area. It’s not as big of an area at 107 acres. It’s a premier office submarket with the 2nd highest rental rates in North Texas (behind Uptown).

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-27-2023 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 03:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,818,177 times
Quote:
Yeah I've said this on similar thread. There isn't an Uptown Houston equivalent in DFW.
There isn't a TMC equivalent either.
Do you think the Strand is a suitable equivalent for downtown Fort Worth?

Old 02-27-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The Southwestern Medical District…but it’s not on the level of TMC. All medical districts in the world aren’t.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:46 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
If the Strand is equivalent to Downtown Fort Worth, then Southwest Medical center is definitely equivalent to TMC

Uptown Houston is actually my equivalent to Downtown FT worth - clearly not because they’re similar. Just because they serve as secondary, independent business districts in their metro region

Old 02-28-2023, 03:36 AM

869 posts, read 320,439 times
Midtown overall.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:29 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
In terms of height, I don’t think there ever will be. I’m not sure if Dallasites like the idea of a 900+ ft skyscraper that far away from downtown. All the real skyscrpaes are in the downtown area. The rest around the Metroplex are high-rises/mid-rises. People in Uptown, Knox, etc fight against height. Generally, the proposed buildings are in the 350-450 ft range.
Well a good reason why you don't have a 900 ft skyscraper far away from downtown especially to the North of Downtoown Dallas is because you have Love Field. If Houston developed to the East, I doubt you would have saw a 900 ft skyscraper since you have Hobby to the Southeast of Downtown. Any highrise development east of Downtown Houston will be stubby because of the airport. Similar to what you get north of Uptown in Dallas.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Well a good reason why you don't have a 900 ft skyscraper far away from downtown especially to the North of Downtoown Dallas is because you have Love Field. If Houston developed to the East, I doubt you would have saw a 900 ft skyscraper since you have Hobby to the Southeast of Downtown. Any highrise development east of Downtown Houston will be stubby because of the airport. Similar to what you get north of Uptown in Dallas.
I’m talking about citywide, not just in areas close to Love Field. The point I am trying to make is that even with height restrictions in Uptown, the NIMBYs want the buildings shorter. Attitudes toward a lot of big high-rises outside of downtown isn’t the same like it is in Houston. I didn’t fully realize it until a few projects were trying to seek approval recently. They did the same thing with an adjacent property and forced the developer to build a midrise.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:19 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I’m talking about citywide, not just in areas close to Love Field. The point I am trying to make is that even with height restrictions in Uptown, the NIMBYs want the buildings shorter. Attitudes toward a lot of big high-rises outside of downtown isn’t the same like it is in Houston. I didn’t fully realize it until a few projects were trying to seek approval recently. They did the same thing with an adjacent property and forced the developer to build a midrise.
Yeah but Dallas developed North while Houston developed West. So naturally, the airport is a bigger obstacle in Dallas based on where it develops (is what I think spade meant)

Old 02-28-2023, 08:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,818,177 times
To add to all of that, Houston’s restrictions are covenant based rather than zonal.

While Zoning restrictions may limit height over an entire district covenants may vary by block.

A 900ft building that far west of downtown Houston isn't odd considering there is also stretches of buildings from downtown to Uptown in Montrose, Upper Kirby and Greenway Plaza.

Houston isn't as into neat and tidy as Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City