Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 03:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Some of the logic here is bewildering.

Median Household Income

PG County - $91,124
Manhattan - $93,956

"Wow! PG County is nearly as wealthy as Manhattan!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 03:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Exactly, I know quite a few MD folks who won't even take the Metro and would never like in DC. Then you have the folks who used to live in DC during the murder capitol days and think its still like that..
You’re describing older people. Nobody under 40 thinks like that in my experience. We grew up during DC’s renaissance.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:11 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh?

Who have you been talking to? That is definitely not my experience. People live in PG because they can’t afford to live in DC. That is the entire conversation. PG County is very cheap to rent and buy a house. I have no idea what circle you were hanging in where people said that. DC is where the money is. PG may be where the “pretenders” live, but if you own a house in DC, you have money and everyone I know owns their own house in DC and many people own more than one in DC.
Cmon though- we all know there that side and there’s the side I stated.

That’s why multiple people are attesting to it.

I know what you’re saying but it seems not very prevalent. No one really looks down on living on PG unless you’re in your 20s and live in PG. most folks I know see it as a reasonable if not practical and mature option. There’s also the fact that DC has a higher share of poor black people, and violent crime. If you go to a private school in DC or the DMV 90-95% of the black children there are from Virginia and Maryland.

I knew more black people native in the area living by in MD than DC. Indian Head, Rockville, Silver Spring, Takoma, Wheaton. I knew some in DC on North Capitol, Georgia Ave, and the Gales at Eckington as well but the folks I knew weren’t not noticeably wealthier Thant heir counterparts in PG or Great Falls

Old 04-05-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
What people are y'all taking about though? Maybe young professionals... I don't agree with this at all. I know young professionals who were born and raised in Maryland, PG or MOCO who don't want any part of living in DC... No matter how much they make. They prefer the lifestyle in Maryland. They like living in a State, they like their cars, their space etc... But to say they are "pretenders" is silly as hell...
I didn't say anything about being pretenders. I just agreed that they likely can't afford to live in DC whether they want to live there or not.

A 25 to 34 year-old, college-educated Black man living in Central DC makes almost triple that of a college-educated Black man living in Laurel. PG County incomes are consistently lower across the board for this demographic. A lot of those people are living in PG not necessarily because they want to but because their incomes are limiting their housing options.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I know what you’re saying but it seems not very prevalent. No one really looks down on living on PG unless you’re in your 20s and live in PG.
Or single and living in an area of PG that's not Mitchellville.

PG is much more of a mixed bag for families. Are we talking about Glenn Dale or Mitchellville or are we talking about Clinton or New Carrolton? There's a big difference.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-05-2023 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 04:31 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
There is a Giant by Rhode Island metro station.

DC had 74 grocery stores in 2020 with 5 more in the pipeline. That is way more grocery stores than anywhere in the suburbs.

Grocery stores in DC
You'll notice gaps in the neighborhoods I mentioned in my previous post. And only 3 in the entire Ward 7 and 8. So as I said, DC lacks enough grocery stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This doesn't prove that the majority of Black wealth is concentrating in PG County. Again, this goes back to my example about some random suburban county having a higher median HHI than Manhattan. This doesn't mean "richer." It does mean less diverse, as in most suburban jurisdictions have exclusionary zoning policies that keep more poor people out, hence higher median incomes. They also tend to have less subsidized housing that prevents displacement to some degree.

If you ended all affordable housing programs in NYC or DC, you would see the median HHI skyrocket since a large number of people would not be able to afford market rates. So there's an income distortion there that you're not going to see in most suburban jurisdictions.
What's the name of the neighborhood in DC proper that has the wealthiest black people in the metro? Quick

Old 04-05-2023, 04:36 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
You’re describing older people. Nobody under 40 thinks like that in my experience. We grew up during DC’s renaissance.
I'm in my late 20s and this is not at all my experience, and its backed by sourced data. Thousands of more black people live in the Maryland suburbs than DC proper. . Young White people want to be in DC/Arlington but young Black folks are much less likely to choose to live in DC vs. the suburbs.

If I'm wrong, why is Waldorf and Bowie growing faster than Ward 7 DC?

Quote:
"The non-Hispanic/Latinx Black population remained the largest in the District
at 296,800 people, or 43.0 percent (table 9 and appendix A), but it has continued a 50-year decline.
Since its peak of more than 537,000 in the 1970 census, the District’s Black population has fallen by
more than 240,000, including a decline of 11,800 (3.8 percent) over the past decade. Although the trend
of Black population decline continued between 2010 and 2020, the magnitude and rate of decrease was
slower than in any of the four prior decades." pg. 11

"The largest growth in the non-Hispanic/Latinx Black population
was in Montgomery County (+38,400), Prince George’s County (+33,500), and Charles County (+24,700)". pg 22 https://www.urban.org/sites/default/...-dc-region.pdf

Old 04-05-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Cmon though- we all know there that side and there’s the side I stated.

That’s why multiple people are attesting to it.

I know what you’re saying but it seems not very prevalent. No one really looks down on living on PG unless you’re in your 20s and live in PG. most folks I know see it as a reasonable if not practical and mature option. There’s also the fact that DC has a higher share of poor black people, and violent crime. If you go to a private school in DC or the DMV 90-95% of the black children there are from Virginia and Maryland.

I knew more black people native in the area living by in MD than DC. Indian Head, Rockville, Silver Spring, Takoma, Wheaton. I knew some in DC on North Capitol, Georgia Ave, and the Gales at Eckington as well but the folks I knew weren’t not noticeably wealthier Thant heir counterparts in PG or Great Falls
Well let me ask you this, what is your experience talking to people that own houses in DC? What did they say? This is a discussion about class if we’re being honest and people will have a learned experience based on their social circle which is always a reflection of class. The people we hang around greatly influence our experience and opinions. If the circle of people you’re referring to aren’t home owners in DC, they probably won’t have the same opinion. Most of the homeowners I know in Prince George’s County say they can’t afford what they want in DC. I’m just being honest.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You'll notice gaps in the neighborhoods I mentioned in my previous post. And only 3 in the entire Ward 7 and 8. So as I said, DC lacks enough grocery stores.
Well, we’ve established that Ward 7 and 8 East of the River lack grocery stores, but we’ve also established that is changing in a big way as we speak. You already know that though. That area is over 90% Black so we know why it doesn’t have grocery store. They’re coming though and so is a ton of Black money every week as these $600k $800k houses are purchased by mainly Black people East of the River.

As for the gap you’re referring to, which area in the suburbs has the density of grocery stores we have in DC? I haven’t seen anywhere in Maryland or Virginia with anything close to the proximity and density of grocery stores in DC.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm in my late 20s and this is not at all my experience, and its backed by sourced data. Thousands of more black people live in the Maryland suburbs than DC proper. . Young White people want to be in DC/Arlington but young Black folks are much less likely to choose to live in DC vs. the suburbs.

If I'm wrong, why is Waldorf and Bowie growing faster than Ward 7 DC?
People live in areas they can afford. If you can’t afford the city, you can’t move into the city. Some people do prefer a slower low density lifestyle, but many other people can’t afford what they want in the city. Ask them if money wasn’t an issue, would they buy in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City