Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:02 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People associate Atlanta with the suburbs and people in Atlanta embrace the suburbs so that makes sense.
Isn't this also the case with the DMV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 12:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't this also the case with the DMV?
Yes for people that move to Maryland and Virginia. But you either live in DC proper or you don’t. There is no grey area. When people say I moved to Atlanta or I moved to Georgia, usually they mean the suburbs. I think the term DMV was actually created to distinguish between living in DC because you don’t have to provide and explanation. The only people that use DMV are people from the suburbs living in MD and VA. I have never heard anyone that actually lives in DC use that term. Have you? If you ask someone who lives in DC where they live, they aren’t saying the DMV in my experience.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:03 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Yes for people that move to Maryland and Virginia. But you either live in DC proper or you don’t. There is no grey area. When people say I moved to Atlanta or I moved to Georgia, usually they mean the suburbs. I think the term DMV was actually created to distinguish between living in DC because you don’t have to provide and explanation. The only people that use DMV are people from the suburbs living in MD and VA. I have never heard anyone that actually lives in DC use that term. Have you? If you ask someone who lives in DC where they live, they aren’t saying the DMV in my experience.
You said people associate Atlanta with the suburbs. My point is that people also associate DC with the suburbs hence the DMV moniker. You could also say the same about the SF Bay Area.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:58 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking about people moving there, if they get priced out of Atlanta.
This already happens throughout Metro Atlanta.

And this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Well, they already moved there. Didn't become 90% Black by chance.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You said people associate Atlanta with the suburbs. My point is that people also associate DC with the suburbs hence the DMV moniker. You could also say the same about the SF Bay Area.
They can’t associate DC with the suburbs when Maryland and Virginia aren’t DC. They may try to claim DC, but they’re not DC. You either live in DC or you don’t. The people that associate DC with the suburbs “live” in the suburbs lol.

That dynamic doesn’t exist in my experience when I’m in Atlanta. My friends there don’t really care if you live in the city or not like people in DC do. It may have to do with the similarities between the City of Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs. In DC, you know immediately when you have either entered or left the city. The streets get wider, the street lights start to hang across the street on wires, everything starts to spread out. Atlanta doesn’t have the same juxtaposition with its suburbs.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:07 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
They can’t associate DC with the suburbs when Maryland and Virginia aren’t DC. They may try to claim DC, but they’re not DC. You either live in DC or you don’t. The people that associate DC with the suburbs “live” in the suburbs lol.

That dynamic doesn’t exist in my experience when I’m in Atlanta. My friends there don’t really care if you live in the city or not like people in DC do.
I think its actually stupid that people pick and choose what city to associate with the suburbs or not. Its either you live in the city or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IvchaA0B3Y

I will let her break it down to you^^

Old 04-03-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I think its actually stupid that people pick and choose what city to associate with the suburbs or not. Its either you live in the city or not.

Lollll…..she isn’t lying!

So many people false flag!

No cap!

Old 04-04-2023, 09:27 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

I was literally gonna quote the same video when I read his statement. I was like, they absolutely do it just as much…

Old 04-04-2023, 11:30 AM

16 posts, read 10,113 times
I have a cousin who has that mentality like this Omeretta chick. I was born in the ATL and partially raised there. I've heard other folks with that sentiment too. Parts of College Park, East Point, and Decatur that borders COA are exactly like COA. That's my logic. Living in CT (VA and MD) I ran into folks from Mt. Vernon and Yonkers who claimed NYC but I get it.

(Mods: Due to me clearing out my cache, history, and cookies on top of not writing my password down I am stuck with this new account. My C-D name was Chevalier de Saint-George, I just need to reset that password...thx. in advance).

Old 04-04-2023, 11:48 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
I'm from Marietta and when I tell many people that I'm from there, they say "Oh, Atlanta." Also, when I distinguish Marietta from Atlanta, some people appear to think that it's not enough there to say such a thing. Now, I just state that I'm from Atlanta or Metro Atlanta. If someone asks which part or city, I'll say Marietta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City