Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 12:13 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
More DC natives and black people in general now live outside of DC, and there are more suburban retail and entertainment options as well, than 20 years ago. More mixed-use developments now. National Harbor/MGM. Arlington Development, Iverson Mall redevelopment.

I could be wrong- but I had a lot of people in my car.

Also, DC didn't have ANY grocery stores in 2003? I'm sure much of DC didn't (still kid of dont, IMO) but DC was already gentrifying 20 years ago and still had a large wealthy area, no?
DC really lacks grocery stores. Gentrifying neighborhoods like Bloomingdale, Trinidad, and Eckington have zero full service grocery stores. Personally one of the reasons i didn't move to these neighborhoods.

Even the upper income neighborhoods like 16th Street Heights have no real grocery stores.

Quote:
Census had non-NH black DC at 40.9% I believe.

The 43% shared here is a 2017-2021 5-year estimate of NH Blacks. So higher than what the census said.

It took 30 years for Hispanics to outnumber NH blacks in Boston from a starting point of 23% vs 11% to 19% vs 20% as some estimates have it today. So for DC I see that taking 50-60 years. But even then- no because Hispanic populations are rising like they were in the 1990s and 2000s. And housing is more expensive.

You have to have the Black population in DC drop to the high 20s IMO and that is wishful thinking. Because is not like the city is going to get to a place where its 35% black and 38% Latino.

At best for your case itd be like 28% black 29% Latino.
IDK, I would not assume DC's black population wouldn't drop to the 20-30% range in a few decades. A lot of factors going into this but one thing for certain is that DC's black percentage will continue to decrease (even if the raw numbers increase) as other groups are moving in at faster rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes for people that move to Maryland and Virginia. But you either live in DC proper or you don’t. There is no grey area. When people say I moved to Atlanta or I moved to Georgia, usually they mean the suburbs. I think the term DMV was actually created to distinguish between living in DC because you don’t have to provide and explanation. The only people that use DMV are people from the suburbs living in MD and VA. I have never heard anyone that actually lives in DC use that term. Have you? If you ask someone who lives in DC where they live, they aren’t saying the DMV in my experience.
I can go one step further. People in the VA side of metro DC don't say DMV. They say "NOVA". At least that's what I heard in FairFax and in the District when I lived in Falls Church.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There are entire IG pages that crack on the suburbs in DC. Have you ever looked at Washingtonprobs? It has 311,000 followers and it’s full of people talking about how they refuse to go across the river to Virginia and people in Virginia complaining about the way people in DC treat them because they live in Virginia. I know you don’t live in DC so your experience is dated, but DC in 2023 is very different than 20 years ago when you lived here.

On a side note, people order most things now. Who is driving to Tyson’s Corner or Pentagon City when Amazon can deliver it to your door? All your points are from the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I don’t know a single person that drives to Virginia for anything other than going to the airport.
No one goes to Wolf Trap for concerts or out to Loudon for Fall foliage/nature enjoyment? As you said DC is only 61 miles vs 303 miles for NYC. You're telling me there's more to do or just as much in those 61 miles than 303 miles?

Old 04-05-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And you know this based on your experience living in Atlanta? Why would someone living in Midtown or Grant Park be more likely to hangout in the suburbs than someone living in Dupont Circle or Georgetown? And where are they hanging out? At the Cobb Galleria? Are they choosing to go to Camp Creek over Ponce Market? Please tell us.

People in NYC aren't all staying confined to the city because of snobbiness. Logistically, it's more difficult to move around NYC for many more people, which is not the case for DC with its smaller size and higher rate of car ownership.

And anyone who never leaves DC clearly has no appreciation for quality ethnic food, which is much harder to find in DC than it is in NY, LA, SF, Philly or Boston.

NYC's public transit has far more coverage of its service area than DC Metro has of its area. So I have to disagree about the logistics of moving about.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:57 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
There are much more young black professionals in MoCo+PG than DC proper so that isn't a relevant statistic to this discussion.
But it is relevant. Again, this is for 25 to 34 year old Black men who are college-educated.

Laurel/Greenbelt/Beltsville PUMA - $52,572
District of Columbia (Central) PUMA - $141,642

So you mean to tell me that with this wide an income gap that there are absolutely no assumptions that people (especially women) are going to make based on living in one versus the other?

Old 04-05-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
NYC's public transit has far more coverage of its service area than DC Metro has of its area. So I have to disagree about the logistics of moving about.
And I believe you are 1,000% wrong on that count. But continue anyway.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:14 PM

1,205 posts, read 800,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I lived in DC and ATL and people don't shun the suburbs of DC. Fairfax County and Montgomery County especially, were derided when I lived there. PG county, on the other hand seemed more challenged or less liked for possibly two reasons,
1. it was racial animosity as it is a majority black county.
2. It lacks the higher-end amenities that have been available to residents of Fairfax & Montgomery Counties.

Within Fairfax, you have Reston and Falls Church, then close by Arlington and Alexandria. Not to mention both Airports are in VA, as is Arlington National Cemetery. You're closer to the best parts of the District as well.
PG also face the fact that most of the jobs are on the other side of the metro area.

https://ggwash.org/view/43654/maps-o...-what-they-pay

PG is also the only "inner ring" county where it doesn't get a plurality of its population work within the county itself (Using OnTheMap 2020 data it was ~30.5% DC vs. ~25.2% PG). Ok, both Arlington and Alexandria has more residents working in DC and FFX than within county (city) limit, but those places are also relatively small geographically.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
But it is relevant. Again, this is for 25 to 34 year old Black men who are college-educated.

Laurel/Greenbelt/Beltsville PUMA - $52,572
District of Columbia (Central) PUMA - $141,642

So you mean to tell me that with this wide an income gap that there are absolutely no assumptions that people (especially women) are going to make based on living in one versus the other?
Quote:
I disagree with that completely but I guess this would depend on your social circle.
The vast majority of Americans have no idea what a PUMA is so this is certainly not something most people here are thinking about. Most people here would closer associate Laurel as "far" rather than "low status," if even know where it is at all. Black professionals are widespread geographically in the DMV so I have black professional friends/coworkers who live in VA, DC, MoCo (mostly Silver Spring), and PG (I'm an attorney for reference). We usually socialize in DC, Silver Spring, and sometimes PG. Where someone lives isn't a great indicator of their "status", at least for black people in the DMV. If you own property in DC proper, people might assume you make good money since the real estate is so expensive. You may be right in that we have different social circles. The black women i've met/dated here care more about other things than your address.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The vast majority of Americans have no idea what a PUMA is so this is certainly not something most people here are thinking about.
So you think most women are not thinking about where a man lives and what indication that might be of his financial status?

Okay.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:26 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
I lived right outside of DC and worked DC proper... and have (had) many friends in DC. Most people living in PG absolutely looked down on black people living in DC to some extent. I opted not to live in Harlem when I had the job offer. Ive been going to and through Harlem virtually my entire life for various reasons. its not some unfamiliar place even though I have never lived there. No one really puts any prestige on living in DC. Is not as big a deal as living in Harlem- its really not.

It is widely considered to be the poorest and most 'hood; black people in the area. I actually just saw a meme this morning that called Lamar Jackson-DC, Deshaun Watson-PG, and Russel Wilson as MoCo. What do you think that implies? DC people may be prdieful but in the DMV its not considered the crown jewel of black existence. For folks in the suburbs- like I was, its seen as place to go socialize and then go back some to your middle-class black professional community.

I know for a fact this is not the case with Harlem compared to other places in the NYC metro. Places like Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Brownsville, the Bronx and other places are all considered more rough and ghetto. Also, the gentrification of Harlem is in large part because people place weight and value on Harlem- that is why my brother moved there as opposed to a cheaper place he could have moved to in the Bronx. He picked Harlem because he was familiar with it and knew the amenities and the vibe.

The crowd is of is young black professionals. Almost no one I personally know under like 50 thinks Harlem is still a ghetto (most of the crime horror stories since the pandemic are concentrated in Brooklyn and the Bronx). Even the oldheads will tell you what its like now and what they've heard. When it comes to urban black professional destinations Harlem and Central Brooklyn are considered to be in a league of their own. UWS and Chelsea are irrelevant here. ..And you can see that in movies like the Best Man 3, and the show "Harlem" its super bourgeoise and polished in how its depicted. No equivalent depictions for Washington DC.
Huh?

Who have you been talking to? That is definitely not my experience. People live in PG because they can’t afford to live in DC. That is the entire conversation. PG County is very cheap to rent and buy a house. I have no idea what circle you were hanging in where people said that. DC is where the money is. PG may be where the “pretenders” live, but if you own a house in DC, you have money and everyone I know owns their own house in DC and many people own more than one in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City