Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 01:30 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People live in PG because they can’t afford to live in DC. That is the entire conversation.
I was trying to say that more diplomatically, but yes, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 01:33 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I disagree with that completely but I guess this would depend on your social circle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I lived right outside of DC and worked DC proper... and have (had) many friends in DC. Most people living in PG absolutely looked down on black people living in DC to some extent. I opted not to live in Harlem when I had the job offer. Ive been going to and through Harlem virtually my entire life for various reasons. its not some unfamiliar place even though I have never lived there. No one really puts any prestige on living in DC. Is not as big a deal as living in Harlem- its really not.

It is widely considered to be the poorest and most 'hood; black people in the area. I actually just saw a meme this morning that called Lamar Jackson-DC, Deshaun Watson-PG, and Russel Wilson as MoCo. What do you think that implies? DC people may be prdieful but in the DMV its not considered the crown jewel of black existence. For folks in the suburbs- like I was, its seen as place to go socialize and then go back some to your middle-class black professional community.

I know for a fact this is not the case with Harlem compared to other places in the NYC metro. Places like Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Brownsville, the Bronx and other places are all considered more rough and ghetto. Also, the gentrification of Harlem is in large part because people place weight and value on Harlem- that is why my brother moved there as opposed to a cheaper place he could have moved to in the Bronx. He picked Harlem because he was familiar with it and knew the amenities and the vibe.

The crowd is of is young black professionals. Almost no one I personally know under like 50 thinks Harlem is still a ghetto (most of the crime horror stories since the pandemic are concentrated in Brooklyn and the Bronx). Even the oldheads will tell you what its like now and what they've heard. When it comes to urban black professional destinations Harlem and Central Brooklyn are considered to be in a league of their own. UWS and Chelsea are irrelevant here. ..And you can see that in movies like the Best Man 3, and the show "Harlem" its super bourgeoise and polished in how its depicted. No equivalent depictions for Washington DC.
The money in DC is in home ownership. Those neighborhoods are completely different than neighborhoods with older walkup apartments. That’s the difference between the city and the suburbs. People from all income brackets live in the city, but people that own houses have money whether you’re talking about NYC, DC, or Atlanta.

I can’t imagine anyone I know that lives in PG saying what you said to someone who owns a house in DC. They would be laughed all the way back to the suburbs. PG has cheap real estate and high taxes.

Ward 7 DC Neighborhoods Above $80K

Penn Branch = Median Income $125,122 (Population = 1,825)

Hill Crest = Median Income $124,250 (Population = 1,596)

Fairfax Village = Median Income $115,291 (Population = 524

Capitol View = Median Income $110,147 (Population = 871)

Lincoln Heights = Median Income $107,670 (Population = 623)

River Terrace = Median Income $101,118 (Population = 1,519)

Fort Davis Park = Median Income $98,145 (Population = 2,043)

Parkside = Median Income $96,458 (Population = 833)

Marshall Heights = Median Income $92,460 (Population = 1,055)

Deanwood = Median Income $87,576 (Population = 1,189)

Fort Dupont = Median Income $83,533 (Population = 1,834)

Old 04-05-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC really lacks grocery stores. Gentrifying neighborhoods like Bloomingdale, Trinidad, and Eckington have zero full service grocery stores. Personally one of the reasons i didn't move to these neighborhoods.

Even the upper income neighborhoods like 16th Street Heights have no real grocery stores.

IDK, I would not assume DC's black population wouldn't drop to the 20-30% range in a few decades. A lot of factors going into this but one thing for certain is that DC's black percentage will continue to decrease (even if the raw numbers increase) as other groups are moving in at faster rates.
Eckington has a Harris Teeter and Trader Joe’s right next to it within 1/2 mile walking distance. Bloomingdale will have a Harris Teeter soon when McMillian (under construction) is done.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-05-2023 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 01:57 PM

64 posts, read 59,663 times
Quote:
I was trying to say that more diplomatically, but yes, I agree.
What people are y'all taking about though? Maybe young professionals... I don't agree with this at all. I know young professionals who were born and raised in Maryland, PG or MOCO who don't want any part of living in DC... No matter how much they make. They prefer the lifestyle in Maryland. They like living in a State, they like their cars, their space etc... But to say they are "pretenders" is silly as hell...

Old 04-05-2023, 01:57 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
So you think most women are not thinking about where a man lives and what indication that might be of his financial status?

Okay.
What type of black women did you date when you lived in DC?

Quote:
Huh?

Who have you been talking to? That is definitely not my experience. People live in PG because they can’t afford to live in DC. That is the entire conversation. PG County is very cheap to rent and buy a house. I have no idea what circle you were hanging in where people said that. DC is where the money is. PG may be where the “pretenders” live, but if you own a house in DC, you have money and everyone I know owns their own house in DC and many people own more than one in DC.
The bold is simply not true in all cases. Otherwise the wealthiest black folks in the DMV wouldn't live in MoCo, PG, and Charles County. There is black gentrification going on in DC but the black wealth in the DC area is undisputed concentrated in outside of the beltway Prince George's.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Eckington has a Harris Teeter and Trader Joe’s right next to it within 1/2 mile walking distance. Bloomingdale will have a Harris Teeter soon when McMillian (under construction) is done.
That HT and TJ are really in NOMA, not super convenient if you live closer to Rhode Island Ave.

That McMillan site will not be done anytime soon. I actually looked at a place in Bloomingdale and north of Rhode Island, there was a lack of retail that made me look somewhere else. Close access to a grocery store is important to me and unfortunately much of DC lacks it.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
What people are y'all taking about though? Maybe young professionals... I don't agree with this at all. I know young professionals who were born and raised in Maryland, PG or MOCO who don't want any part of living in DC... No matter how much they make. They prefer the lifestyle in Maryland. They like living in a State, they like their cars, their space etc... But to say they are "pretenders" is silly as hell...
Exactly, I know quite a few MD folks who won't even take the Metro and would never like in DC. Then you have the folks who used to live in DC during the murder capitol days and think its still like that..

Old 04-05-2023, 02:55 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
What type of black women did you date when you lived in DC?

The bold is simply not true in all cases. Otherwise the wealthiest black folks in the DMV wouldn't live in MoCo, PG, and Charles County. There is black gentrification going on in DC but the black wealth in the DC area is undisputed concentrated in outside of the beltway Prince George's.
This doesn't prove that the majority of Black wealth is concentrating in PG County. Again, this goes back to my example about some random suburban county having a higher median HHI than Manhattan. This doesn't mean "richer." It does mean less diverse, as in most suburban jurisdictions have exclusionary zoning policies that keep more poor people out, hence higher median incomes. They also tend to have less subsidized housing that prevents displacement to some degree.

If you ended all affordable housing programs in NYC or DC, you would see the median HHI skyrocket since a large number of people would not be able to afford market rates. So there's an income distortion there that you're not going to see in most suburban jurisdictions.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
There are many people who hate urban, dense, walkable, bustling neighborhoods like NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, etc. Those people live in the suburbs all over America. The people you’re talking about would be in that group of people. They’re no different than all the other middle America suburban or rural people. When we say pretenders, we’re talking about people that drive their expensive car while renting an apartment and wear expensive clothes while having a low net worth.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That HT and TJ are really in NOMA, not super convenient if you live closer to Rhode IslandAve.

That McMillan site will not be done anytime soon. I actually looked at a place in Bloomingdale and north of Rhode Island, there was a lack of retail that made me look somewhere else. Close access to a grocery store is important to me and unfortunately much of DC lacks it.
There is a Giant by Rhode Island metro station.

DC had 74 grocery stores in 2020 with 5 more in the pipeline. That is way more grocery stores than anywhere in the suburbs.

Grocery stores in DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City