Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 09:33 AM

221 posts, read 114,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I mean, both cities are unaffordable as hell within the core now, but Charleston just has a weird, preppy vibe that's grating. It's like the entire city is now focused on catering to basic white girls having destination bachelorette parties.
Come on it’s not their fault; it’s not that bad. We can’t hate on them for existing.

Considering Charleston was always an old money city; even back in the day those old townhomes would have been the city homes of the wealthy planter class. It was always rich and white so this is no different. The blacks would have been on the periphery then and now; the income and class divide is probably so large that the blacks that do live in the region don’t feel comfortable hanging around; and that sucks.

A place like New Orleans is large enough not to notice that the same class exists in the core of that city as well. Urban Charleston is just compact so you notice it more imo.

We should celebrate that white residents of one of the most suburban regions in the US have embraced urban living; hopefully they learn something from it and apply it; particularly the developers and government people that vacation down there. It’s more than just a Williamsburg creation type place; it’s a legit city with colleges, history and culture.

Steven Colbert is famously from Charleston btw so they’re not all stuffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 12:06 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
The best is yet to come for Charleston, and attainable, workforce housing for both owners and renters here is at the forefront of that conversation.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I absolutely love Savannah and I think Charleston and Savannah have diverged in recent years. Savannah has always looked up to Charleston, but now I think Charleston is missing that creative element that you see all throughout the historic district thanks to SCAD. Super cool to see the historic homes and then edgy yet approachable coffee shops/galleries along with skaters along the beautiful tree-covered squares.
That's debatable that Savannah "looked up" to Charleston, but there certainly has been huge rivalry between them for god knows how long.

Here's what I know:

Savannah does a much better job in my opinion of historic preservation AND making the older parts of the city feel like an actual city people live in. Sure both cities have their tourist element to them, but Charleston to me seems a little more attuned to that across the board.

Charleston definitely wins the food battle (Savannah restaurants are shockingly bad) and their suburbs beat the breaks off of suburban Savannah. As much as I love Savannah, I just don't acknowledge anything that isn't the Historic or Victorian Districts and keep it moving.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:40 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Is the Seattle/Tacoma number legitimate? I know the Central District has been gentrified, but is this just a matter of people moving to the communities in between Seattle and Tacoma?

Old 05-18-2023, 04:21 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
As a 27 year old black man living in Philadelphia, you couldn't pay me to move down South. Outside of Philly, there are only a few cities I'd consider moving to: Boston, NYC, DC (city proper or Alexandria, VA only), Chicago, SF, Seattle, or potentially Denver. I understand why the South appeals to some people, especially those who grew up in the Northeastern US; however, I would quickly grow bored and frustrated down there. I own a nice house in a safe, walkable, transit-accessible neighborhood in Northwest Philly. Everything I want and need is a short train or bus ride away. The access to PA's wilderness in the north and west, and the Jersey Shore to the south and east sweetens the deal. If living a normal life requires car ownership, then I see very few redeeming qualities about those communities. There aren't a ton of walkable communities with transit in the South.

It's a shame that so many urban black neighborhoods are in the states of disarray that they're in, as I believe that too many black people have had negative interactions with urban environments. As someone who grew up in the city, it's so easy to assign a negative connotation to dense urban neighborhoods if the one you grew up in was a chaotic one. Walkability, transit accesibility, and architectural detail are such important attributes to me, and it's a shame that I know few other black people who share these ideals.
Black male approaching 40 and I feel the same way you do, specifically the bolded. I'm leaving the Twin Cities in about a month heading back east for the rest of the year and depending on my job situation I'll probably stay east. Unless it's a 3rd tier city that lacks the problems of an ATL, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, Jackson or Houston, I can't do the South. Miami is based but they lack skilled mfg jobs at good wages. I mean South Carolina has them beat. Also those cities I bolded are the only real cities in America, with suburbs that are better than almost anything down south when it comes to transit/walkability/safety.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Black male approaching 40 and I feel the same way you do, specifically the bolded. I'm leaving the Twin Cities in about a month heading back east for the rest of the year and depending on my job situation I'll probably stay east. Unless it's a 3rd tier city that lacks the problems of an ATL, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, Jackson or Houston, I can't do the South. Miami is based but they lack skilled mfg jobs at good wages. I mean South Carolina has them beat. Also those cities I bolded are the only real cities in America, with suburbs that are better than almost anything down south when it comes to transit/walkability/safety.
I think some Midwestern area have some walkable suburbs that could/would work as well like some of the eastern suburbs of Cleveland; Farmington, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Plymouth and perhaps Ferndale outside of Detroit; Evanston and Oak Park outside of Chicago; University City outside of St. Louis, etc.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:19 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
So why are Black people especially Black Urbanist not moving to those safe walkable, transit friendly suburbs in cities like Chicago or Philly? I specifically said those 2 cities because they're still pretty affordable yet have little growth compared to sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Charlotte.

I've looked into those suburbs specifically in Chicago and Philly and I was surprise to see how small the black populations were in those walkable transit safe suburbs compared to safe nice suburbs in the 4 sunbelt cities I mentioned.

I wouldn't put D.C. in that category because those walkable suburbs have bigger Black populations. Even though the bulk tend to reside in PG county which for the most part is the complete opposite of walkable and transit. PG County seems pretty similar to what you'd get in some Atlanta suburbs south of I- 20.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So why are Black people especially Black Urbanist not moving to those safe walkable, transit friendly suburbs in cities like Chicago or Philly? I specifically said those 2 cities because they're still pretty affordable yet have little growth compared to sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Charlotte.

I've looked into those suburbs specifically in Chicago and Philly and I was surprise to see how small the black populations were in those walkable transit safe suburbs compared to safe nice suburbs in the 4 sunbelt cities I mentioned.

I wouldn't put D.C. in that category because those walkable suburbs have bigger Black populations. Even though the bulk tend to reside in PG county which for the most part is the complete opposite of walkable and transit. PG County seems pretty similar to what you'd get in some Atlanta suburbs south of I- 20.
It is pretty clear on the whole that where the largest African American growth is occurring has nothing to do with transit or walkability. Even in places up north, there is no drive to be in places that are walkable. The demographic as a whole overwhelmingly prefers suburban environments or places down South/Phoenix/Vegas where they can have a house with a yard in the city. The data overwhelmingly reflects this.

Thing is, there are LOTS of places up north where they could have the same. Upstate NY is a great example. It makes me think weather is a huge draw as well.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Evanston and Oak Park are a couple of those Chicago suburbs with decent sized black populations: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=1724582

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=1754885

Evanston’s black population has a long history and it has had at least a black mayor in the past. You also have this: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1262096

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_H._Morton
https://web.archive.org/web/20071218...nt/mayor.shtml

https://evanstonroundtable.com/2022/...story-markers/
https://evanstonroundtable.com/2019/...own-1900-1960/

Oak Park’s black population took off around 1980, but had some before then: https://www.oakpark.com/2009/11/24/o...black-history/

In Philadelphia, as mentioned in the Northeast black middle class thread, pockets of the Main Line communities and suburbs to the SW of the city have higher percentages.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-18-2023 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 07:27 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:

Black Urbanists that are moving to the Sun Belt originated from the inner city and due to their experiences they want to get as far away from that type of environment as possible, even if they gotta sacrifice transit/walkability. Don't wanna hear about the nonsense in the South Shore or North Philly on the news. They also keep hearing how ATL rivals Wakanda with those other 3 picking up speed and there ya go. Weather also plays a part. Segregation in those burbs is a possible reason.

EDIT: chk beat me to it with the sizable black population in the burbs. Lansdowne PA is another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City