Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2023, 08:43 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good question…I would say areas such as Columbia and Greenville SC; Greensboro and Winston-Salem NC; Biloxi-Gulfport and Hattiesburg MS; Huntsville and Auburn-Opelika AL and GA areas such as Columbus and Augusta are some that come to mind. Some are at the metro level and some at both city proper and metro level.
Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in South Carolina are destinations as well beating out much larger metros and actually keeping up. Heck, nobody shows Columbia SC much love on the board and its actually up there with Washington DC with the numbers shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 12:00 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Charleston proper and the MSA lost black population from 2010 to 2020, unless there was a severe undercount. White influx minus the black exodus equaled about a 25% overall growth rate for the city and a 20% growth rate for the MSA. Is this thread about overall growth or black growth?

https://data.courierpostonline.com/c...a/160-4513330/

https://data.courierpostonline.com/c...rea/320-16700/

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-13-2023 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-13-2023, 12:06 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
You are making perfect sense to me. But going back and forth with some of these posters who view everything through an obvious bias is pointless and futile. Relocating from the NE to the SE had little to do with COL, but had everything to do with a superior quality of life, for me and my family.
Smart post.

Old 05-13-2023, 01:47 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
You are making perfect sense to me. But going back and forth with some of these posters who view everything through an obvious bias is pointless and futile. Relocating from the NE to the SE had little to do with COL, but had everything to do with a superior quality of life, for me and my family.
Yeah. It almost minimizes the qualitative aspects of SE cities by using COL as the primary reason for the exodus.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:23 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yeah. It almost minimizes the qualitative aspects of SE cities by using COL as the primary reason for the exodus.
Same for NE cities as in lots of people are concluding they aren’t worth the COL. I get that a lot.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:52 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
I’m not surprised to see Killeen high at all. I’ve never really been to Killeen but I know a lot of AAs from Killeen. I figured there was some black history there.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:13 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in South Carolina are destinations as well beating out much larger metros and actually keeping up. Heck, nobody shows Columbia SC much love on the board and its actually up there with Washington DC with the numbers shared.
Columbia is a sleeper in terms of Southern cities for a lot of metrics in regards to its black population. It doesn't hurt that it is a capital city, has the flagship university for the state, multiple HBCU's(Allen and Benedict, with others nearby) and a military presence(think officers, higher ranked NCO's, civilian contractors, etc.). So, it would definitely be a good choice for those looking for a mid sized area.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not surprised to see Killeen high at all. I’ve never really been to Killeen but I know a lot of AAs from Killeen. I figured there was some black history there.
It only has a large black population because of the military. Look at the demographics of Temple. You see that the Black population is significantly smaller.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:54 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
I’m sorry-is COL not intimately related to QOL and “lifestyle”? I don’t think anyone is arguing that COL is the only reason that many black peoples are moving to the South but it certainly is one of the primary reason, at least for black people from the Northeast.

Your post also has its own bias and shade, let’s keep in mind everyone has their own biases and perspectives on this board.

Old 05-14-2023, 05:35 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Superior quality of life? If you look at any list that measures quality of life metrics the south is usually at the bottom of just about everything.

Even the lifespan of a southerner is shorter than that of someone from up north.

Quality of life is subjective and different from COL. it seems that people who live in cheaper COL areas do not know how to differentiate between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City