Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2023, 09:48 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times

Advertisements

I'm was surprised how fast this thread pages grew in just a few days. More surprised about the net growth for Gulfport/Biloxi metro being nearly 3x of Jackson metro for my state.

The gist of all the conversation that i understand is that the Big 4 - ATL/DFW/Houston/Charlotte takes up the whale share of transplant and i think when you look at most of their backgrounds it make sense. Most of those transplants grew up in midsized to major metros and thus relocate to areas that still have that similar environment. Anedocote my friend is from the Chi and leave here in the Sipp for about 10 years then bounce to DFW. When he told me he's moving to TX, i simply replied "Houston or Dallas?". He was surprised abit by my response. People, especially young adults, that grows up in those major urban areas are just comfortable to that environment ( look at the responses by our black folks in here from the Bos-Wash corrider).

This pattern is no different from the Great Migration, handful of major urban areas pulling in the heaviest population. Reverse Great Migration just mirror the same patterns. I pay more attention to mid size urban areas since the major ones is going to be discuss ad nauseum on here. Everybody have their own preferences respectfully and i would like to see black transplant in more evenly distrubted areas than the proverbial all eggs in the same basket theme.

Also MS & AL do have pricey urban locations relative to their locations. Much more going on than the country side of these states. I'm born & made Sipp and thus far still here for now. Locations plays out just like the rest of the nation, largest urban areas first & centered overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 10:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbornmassmade View Post
i went to college in act and met a jamaican american from the bronx who’s mother had moved to florida. He’s now in dental school in philly as he had been for 3/4 and he posted this last night

“i’m sorry but everything is better down south (minus the gun control) from the people, to the weather, to the attitudes, everything. Yea, i’m fully done with the northeast. Everytime i come home as i mature that’s affirmed more and more…”

so that’s his answer. Everything is just better down there.

He posted that from tampa… and i got to admit- i love florida, it’s the -#1 southern state i would move to, probably the orlando or tampa area. I love it down there mostly for the weather, affordability, palm trees, sunshine, beaches and fun-oriented culture in general.

I remember seeing new construction 2 bedroom apartment for $450 dollars as i drove by orange groves and a public in clermont. It was vibey. Then i went to the pool in mid-january. I also remember $3 cici pizza buffet billboards and that's when i really knew it was super different. I was like "$3 buffet how is that even a part of life, anywhere, at any point?"
*ct

Old 05-12-2023, 10:33 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
I am curious if Black people from different parts of the country are more likely to move to different parts of the South?

I know that in general, looking at national migration figures:

1. People from the Northeast pretty exclusively migrate to the Atlantic coast in the South (VA, NC, SC, GA).
2. People from the Midwest are more likely to migrate to the interior south and Texas.
3. Florida pulls from both the Northeast and Midwest (though the Northeast more heavily.
4. People from California mostly migrate to the interior west, but will also migrate to Texas.

But again, those are figures for all Americans, not black Americans in particular. I don't think the Census has that much specificity.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:37 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I'm was surprised how fast this thread pages grew in just a few days. More surprised about the net growth for Gulfport/Biloxi metro being nearly 3x of Jackson metro for my state.

The gist of all the conversation that i understand is that the Big 4 - ATL/DFW/Houston/Charlotte takes up the whale share of transplant and i think when you look at most of their backgrounds it make sense. Most of those transplants grew up in midsized to major metros and thus relocate to areas that still have that similar environment. Anedocote my friend is from the Chi and leave here in the Sipp for about 10 years then bounce to DFW. When he told me he's moving to TX, i simply replied "Houston or Dallas?". He was surprised abit by my response. People, especially young adults, that grows up in those major urban areas are just comfortable to that environment ( look at the responses by our black folks in here from the Bos-Wash corrider).

This pattern is no different from the Great Migration, handful of major urban areas pulling in the heaviest population. Reverse Great Migration just mirror the same patterns. I pay more attention to mid size urban areas since the major ones is going to be discuss ad nauseum on here. Everybody have their own preferences respectfully and i would like to see black transplant in more evenly distrubted areas than the proverbial all eggs in the same basket theme.

Also MS & AL do have pricey urban locations relative to their locations. Much more going on than the country side of these states. I'm born & made Sipp and thus far still here for now. Locations plays out just like the rest of the nation, largest urban areas first & centered overall.
Same here and to add to that portion, a lot of black people are moving to more mid sized areas, regardless of the region. I think some of this is due to some of these places already having at least a substantial black population and they are affordable. Also, if you are half way mobile, you can have a bigger impact than going to the bigger, more popular cities. Especially when companies in some of these areas are looking for black talent. For instance, here is an interesting article about this Fortune 500 company based in Upstate NY...

Corning’s Recruiting From Historically Black Colleges Isn’t Just About Diversity; It’s About Hiring The Best: https://www.corning.com/worldwide/en...-the-best.html (They have facilities in NC, other parts of Upstate NY and other states too, but for years have been trying to get black STEM talent for decades.)

So, hopefully people will be more aware of potential opportunities that are available in other places across the country.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:56 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
You are making perfect sense to me. But going back and forth with some of these posters who view everything through an obvious bias is pointless and futile. Relocating from the NE to the SE had little to do with COL, but had everything to do with a superior quality of life, for me and my family.
Same. COL was a minor benefit of moving from DC to Houston - the far greater drivers for me were the weather, overall quality of life, the people, and the food. My fiancee and I did very well in the DMV and do very well here in Texas. It wasn't a cost decision, but obviously it's a nice bonus that it's less expensive here too with an overall better selection of housing options.

Some of the NE posters (like, frankly, much of the population there as a whole) cannot fathom that there are actually a lot of people that prefer southern metros to northern ones for reasons wholly unrelated to cost. I know a ton of
black transplants from other parts of the country here in Houston - I honestly can't think of one that moved here primarily because it was cheaper than wherever they came from. Do those people exist? I'm sure they do. But that number pales in comparison to people who have made the move for lifestyle and/or family reasons.

And frankly, at least in Texas, that cost difference between Houston/Dallas metros and NE metros has narrowed somewhat. To the extent that COL differences have driven migration in the past, that will likely decrease as a factor in the future as costs rise for the southern metros. You're already seeing it in DFW - is anyone really moving there because it's "cheap" anymore?

Old 05-12-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Same. COL was a minor benefit of moving from DC to Houston - the far greater drivers for me were the weather, overall quality of life, the people, and the food. My fiancee and I did very well in the DMV and do very well here in Texas. It wasn't a cost decision, but obviously it's a nice bonus that it's less expensive here too with an overall better selection of housing options.

Some of the NE posters (like, frankly, much of the population there as a whole) cannot fathom that there are actually a lot of people that prefer southern metros to northern ones for reasons wholly unrelated to cost. I know a ton of
black transplants from other parts of the country here in Houston - I honestly can't think of one that moved here primarily because it was cheaper than wherever they came from. Do those people exist? I'm sure they do. But that number pales in comparison to people who have made the move for lifestyle and/or family reasons.

And frankly, at least in Texas, that cost difference between Houston/Dallas metros and NE metros has narrowed somewhat. To the extent that COL differences have driven migration in the past, that will likely decrease as a factor in the future as costs rise for the southern metros. You're already seeing it in DFW - is anyone really moving there because it's "cheap" anymore?
This is why I say to differentiate between the Bos-Wash corridor and the rest of the Northeast, as the rest of the region is pretty much average, give or take in overall cost of living. What is interesting though is that some of these more affordable areas actually may have a higher average annual income than even these bigger Southern metros. For an example, the Albany NY metro area actually has a higher annual mean wage: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_10580.htm#00-0000

than Dallas: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_19100.htm#00-0000

Houston: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_26420.htm#00-0000

Atlanta: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_12060.htm#00-0000

and Charlotte: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_16740.htm#00-0000

Again, this isn't the only aspect to consider in terms of moving to an area place and it varies by person, but this is to illustrate a reason why some just move to another area within the same region. On a side note, not only has Schenectady quadrupled and Troy more than tripled in black population since 1980, Albany itself has doubled its black population in that same period. Let alone the growth in the suburbs(Colonie, Niskayuna, Guilderland, Rotterdam, East Greenbush, etc,.) and small cities(Cohoes, Watervliet, etc) in the area. So, there is another type of migration occurring as well within regions.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:22 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I am surprised at Killeen.
Yes I am familiar with its demographics, but for an MSA of less than 500K, it is astounding that the increase in AA population almost matched Raleigh.

Also, Texas AA growth is not talked about as much as Georgia but Texas has 2 of the top 3 spots and 5 of the top 15 spots.

Texas already has the most African Americans and it is putting distance between #2.

In the 2000s Houston and DFW were just entering the top 10 list for metros with the most AA's. Since then they have passed Los Angeles, Detroit, Miami and might have already passed Philadelphia. I would bet that by the end of the decade DFW will have more AA's than Chicago.

I don't really see Austin and San Antonio as very black cities but was surprised to find out that Austin has as many black people as Denver and San Antonio has about 20K more than Denver.

With over 4 million blacks when will City-Data start stepping away from that Disney Wild West / Davy Crockett Frontier image of Texas and realize that the state is diverse. It is not like the Southwestern states they are always trying to cram it into
The only issue I have with the hype surrounding Black growth in the state is that Houston and DFW accounts for the vast majority of that growth in the state. According to Blackdemographics(based out of Dallas btw) Houston and DFW have a total Black population of 2,458,868 out of 3,552,997. So those 2 cities blow all the other cities out the water.

Even Killeen, it definitely looks impressive on paper especially a city it's size but a large percentage of that growth comes from the Military. Which explains why other cities in the state of similar size didn't experience nearly the same amount of Black growth as Killeen. No hate but I see zero appeal of living in Killeen unless you're in the Military. Makes some sense from that perspective.

Unfortunately outside of DFW and Houston and to a much lesser extent Austin and San Antonio, the remainder of Texas cities are attracting that many transplants. When I go back to Longview, East Texas, the only Black transplants I might run into are either from smaller rural towns in East Texas, rural towns of Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and even then it's not A LOT. Texas outside the big 4 is pretty stagnant or insignificant when it comes to black growth.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Same here and to add to that portion, a lot of black people are moving to more mid sized areas, regardless of the region. I think some of this is due to some of these places already having at least a substantial black population and they are affordable. Also, if you are half way mobile, you can have a bigger impact than going to the bigger, more popular cities. Especially when companies in some of these areas are looking for black talent. For instance, here is an interesting article about this Fortune 500 company based in Upstate NY...

Corning’s Recruiting From Historically Black Colleges Isn’t Just About Diversity; It’s About Hiring The Best: https://www.corning.com/worldwide/en...-the-best.html (They have facilities in NC, other parts of Upstate NY and other states too, but for years have been trying to get black STEM talent for decades.)

So, hopefully people will be more aware of potential opportunities that are available in other places across the country.
Precisely. Your posts shining light on the smaller metros gaining black pop with modest to high income was intruging insight. I think the NE metro division is somewhat split between the legacy Bos-Wash corrider & 2nd Tier metros ( fair title? Accept any other geographical term). What would you consider the southern comparisons to northeastern 2nd Tier metros?

Old 05-12-2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The only issue I have with the hype surrounding Black growth in the state is that Houston and DFW accounts for the vast majority of that growth in the state. According to Blackdemographics(based out of Dallas btw) Houston and DFW have a total Black population of 2,458,868 out of 3,552,997. So those 2 cities blow all the other cities out the water.

Even Killeen, it definitely looks impressive on paper especially a city it's size but a large percentage of that growth comes from the Military. Which explains why other cities in the state of similar size didn't experience nearly the same amount of Black growth as Killeen. No hate but I see zero appeal of living in Killeen unless you're in the Military. Makes some sense from that perspective.

Unfortunately outside of DFW and Houston and to a much lesser extent Austin and San Antonio, the remainder of Texas cities are attracting that many transplants. When I go back to Longview, East Texas, the only Black transplants I might run into are either from smaller rural towns in East Texas, rural towns of Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and even then it's not A LOT. Texas outside the big 4 is pretty stagnant or insignificant when it comes to black growth.
And that socioeconomic feature repeats in GA, NC, FL, etc as black growth trend to the most populous urban areas of every state.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Precisely. Your posts shining light on the smaller metros gaining black pop with modest to high income was intruging insight. I think the NE metro division is somewhat split between the legacy Bos-Wash corrider & 2nd Tier metros ( fair title? Accept any other geographical term). What would you consider the southern comparisons to northeastern 2nd Tier metros?
Good question…I would say areas such as Columbia and Greenville SC; Greensboro and Winston-Salem NC; Biloxi-Gulfport and Hattiesburg MS; Huntsville and Auburn-Opelika AL and GA areas such as Columbus and Augusta are some that come to mind. Some are at the metro level and some at both city proper and metro level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City