Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2023, 08:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What separates a halal plate from a Kebob or Shawarma dinner or whatever is effectively a spoonful of Mayo.

Hate to break it to you but they offer that sliced basminthi rice in those bowls at most Mediterranean places

The gap between a Chicken Kabob sub and a spiedie is like 50% of the ingredients. And that’s the closest thing I’ve seen. The similarities are broadly Mediterranean spiced chunks of chicken of roughly the same size.

That’s a big difference.

That’s like saying a gravy is fundamentally different if you use carrot sugar to sweeten it.

About half of that recipe was mayo. So yea, it'd be a spoonful if you did a bit more than two spoonfuls of sauce. Then there's cucumber and garlic. So what's the difference, about, what, half the ingredients? Is half not a big enough difference now? Again, the lack of consistency here is what makes these arguments confusing. I don't think you have a clear idea in your head about what the rubric you're using is aside from that it can't be unique it because it's in New York City. That seems to be pretty much your only defining rubric.

I said the seasoning on the rice. Not that it was a different cultivar or rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 09:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Whoever came up with this must have played with the definition of museums.
It must be wrong if NYC isn't #1, right?

Old 08-17-2023, 10:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It must be wrong if NYC isn't #1, right?
What's your source?
It's obviously wrong if LA of all places is #1.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:24 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Annapolis has plenty of colonial history, but I can think of very few colonial (pre-1780) homes or buildings in Baltimore. The Mount Clare Mansion, Old St.Paul's church., the Robert Long house, the star-spangled Flag house.
Philadelphia is home to the best-known pre-1780 building in the country:

Old Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) (1732-1753), in 2019, by Mys 721tx, from Wikimedia Commons, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

The oldest building in the city, however, dates to 1700:

Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church (1698-1700), by Beyond My Ken, from Wikimedia Commons, licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

I don't know how many buildings built between 1700 and 1780 exist in the city, but this is probably the only city in the country that has an entire block where the majority of the houses predate 1780:

Elfreth's Alley, by Banfield, from Wikimedia Commons, licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 AR. The street is the oldest continuously occupied residential street in the country, dating to 1703; the newest building on this block dates to 1826

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
It is the white sauce and the chicken the diced tomato/lettuce that makes the Halal Plate special. You will struggle to put them all together in Middle Eastern restaurants elsewhere outside of chains like Halal Guys that specialize in these.

Pastrami sandwiches and bagels are at a similar level of uniqueness as beignets and jambalaya of Louisiana. You can get these in pretty much all large enough cities but they likely won't be anywhere as good.

Chopped cheese, knishes and even hot dog carts with caramelized onions are not widely available elsewhere and can only be found in niche restaurants/vendors so would be at a higher level of uniqueness.

The most 'unique' items are mostly things that no nonlocals would ever want to try, like lutefisk, Midwest fish boil or can of bread. Or things that require fresh ingredients like guavas in south Florida or quahog in RI.
The Halal Guys are taking that plate beyond New York. I remember when they stopped by the Phillymag offices with food for us on the editorial staff to sample as they were promoting their Philadelphia location, which is in Chinatown on Race Street.

From what I've seen, the chopped cheese is a cheesesteak by another name. I have heard New Yorkers insist the two are different, but you couldn't prove it by me.

YorktownGal: You should visit Kansas City sometime. Be sure to get some burnt ends when you do. But this native will confess that the best brisket he's yet eaten was prepared by a native Texan at a fundraiser here in Philadelphia this past Sunday. (I didn't ask her which part of Texas she came from, but there are at least three different styles of Texas Q. KC, Memphis and North Carolina complete the American Barbecue Pantheon along with Texas. But I must someday try Northeast Alabama Q, where chicken is the primary meat and the barbecue sauce is mayonnaise-based.)

Old 08-18-2023, 01:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Tbf everyone knows what canned bread is because spongebob lol

But also I feel that New York, and everything in New York now that I spend 12+ hours a day all over the city, is hyper-capitalized on. In New England, things are way more local. Its just a difference in region. Its like comparing Dublin and London.
No offense but you're showing your age. I've never seen spongebob in my life as it was a kids show that came out right as I was graduating college. And I've definitely never heard of canned bread lol Sounds disgusting.

It's not as much about being regional as it is about being good. If canned bread was so good don't you think it would've spread beyond a certain region? The obvious answer is Yes. New Orleans is smaller than Boston but some of their regional favorites like Creole, Beignets and Jambalaya are known well outside of their local region. Kansas City BBQ is well known outside out its region. It's because those regional cuisines are damn good and people from all over like them and then from there, those foods blow up. It's not as black and white or simple as well because it's from "said city" it gets overly hyped. That's not how it works especially for foods that people from all over generally love and seek out. I can assure you that canned bread is not one of them lol

Sounds like Btown is just hating on NYC because we have produced so many regional cuisine favorites like bagels, pizza, pastrami, delis that have spread the world over because they are damn good. And these favorites have been going on wayyy before the internet or over capitalization so it's not like they're new.

Quality and taste buds matter.

Old 08-18-2023, 02:01 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Everything about New York goes thru a sort of “Ball dropification” process where many city in the world tried to imitate it. Like Philly has the Mummers Parade, Boston has first night but like dozens of cities have some imitation of the Ball Drop, that’s happens with NYC slang, NYC food, NYC Events etc.

The only thing is it’s more because if it’s size than despite its size. However it is because of its size and influence not its overall quality.
When it comes to food and cuisines it has nothing to do with size, it has everything to do with what people want and love to eat. People all over the world love NY bagels, pizza, delis because they are the standard and have been for a long time way before your Internet world that it sounds like you grew up in. You trying to minimalize quality and act like it's just a scale/hype thing shows your lack of experience trying amazing regional foods as mentioned.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:43 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
When it comes to food and cuisines it has nothing to do with size, it has everything to do with what people want and love to eat. People all over the world love NY bagels, pizza, delis because they are the standard and have been for a long time way before your Internet world that it sounds like you grew up in. You trying to minimalize quality and act like it's just a scale/hype thing shows your lack of experience trying amazing regional foods as mentioned.
No it’s due to the vast number of Expats as well as overall cultural influence from being the Hemispheres most important city for a few centuries.

New Orleans and Miami have a fantastic local cuisine but it’s much much more limited because they’re both smaller and less cultural influence.

With international cuisine we pretty much accept that the size of immigrant groups not objective quality in the main driver of availability. But that isn’t true for regional foods? Because reasons?

Is a Boston Crème Pie better than a Biegnet? No but it’s spread faster and more widely cause Boston is the bigger more important city that sends its people all over the country,

New York has had negative domestic migration since like 1830 it’s not a new internet thing. It’s just a historical fact.

Why do you think Midtown Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Houston or Minneapolis exist? Because cities want to emulate New York and intentionally do so. Cleveland built its tallest building and Train Station and subway to “be like New York”.

It’s like pretending English Spread because it’s inherently a better language than Danish. And not because the British Empire was just more important and influential than Denmark.

Popular taste dictates McDonalds has the best bagels in the world as they sell more Mabel’s than anyone else.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:05 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
No it’s due to the vast number of Expats as well as overall cultural influence from being the Hemispheres most important city for a few centuries.

New Orleans and Miami have a fantastic local cuisine but it’s much much more limited because they’re both smaller and less cultural influence.

With international cuisine we pretty much accept that the size of immigrant groups not objective quality in the main driver of availability. But that isn’t true for regional foods? Because reasons?

Is a Boston Crème Pie better than a Biegnet? No but it’s spread faster and more widely cause Boston is the bigger more important city that sends its people all over the country,

New York has had negative domestic migration since like 1830 it’s not a new internet thing. It’s just a historical fact.

Why do you think Midtown Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Houston or Minneapolis exist? Because cities want to emulate New York and intentionally do so. Cleveland built its tallest building and Train Station and subway to “be like New York”.

It’s like pretending English Spread because it’s inherently a better language than Danish. And not because the British Empire was just more important and influential than Denmark.

Popular taste dictates McDonalds has the best bagels in the world as they sell more Mabel’s than anyone else.
I’m suffering from a horrible jet lag but what???????

To quote Talking Heads, stop making sense.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:22 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
But there are 2 of Smithsonian in NYC.
There's a Smithsonian in London as well, but the Smithsonian collection of museums in Washington D.C. is the largest of such in the World. And that is not even all of DC's museum collection overall.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:29 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There's a Smithsonian in London as well, but the Smithsonian collection of museums in Washington D.C. is the largest of such in the World. And that is not even all of DC's museum collection overall.
I 100% agree with you. As a whole Smithsonian is invincible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City