Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next black Mecca and influential city
Atlanta 34 43.04%
DC 20 25.32%
Dallas 5 6.33%
Miami 2 2.53%
Charlotte 8 10.13%
Houston 18 22.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 05:31 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Atlanta (Blacks in business) and DC (average incomes and politicians) have the richest African-American communities.
The NYC area still has quite a few as well.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:49 PM

393 posts, read 261,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The NYC area still has quite a few as well.
Unfortunately, NYC was not listed on this poll (the original poster should have included NYC).

Old 10-19-2023, 07:37 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeman43 View Post
Mostly because Houston isn't a flashy city like Dallas and Atlanta are. But it's definitely top 3.
Yeah but Houston's black population is definitely more flashy and aligned with Atlanta than Dallas is. DFW Black population is generally the complete opposite of Dallas reputation as a whole. The perception is that the DFW Black population is more conservative(not politically), more focused on respectability politics and less flashy.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:27 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
In other words, like the black folk in DC?
I think DC Black population culturally feels different than D.C. due to multiple factors. While D.C. is more tone down than Atlanta I believe the type of jobs that D.C. has attracts a different demographic of Black people generally that DFW doesn't necessarily have on the same level. Then there's D.C. relationship with Black people that doesn't exist in Dallas. Even though D.C. has been heavily gentrified and lost some of it's "soul" remnants of Chocolate city still exist there. Dallas dominant population never truly embraced the local Black culture. I also find D.C. Black populace to be more visibly diverse socially than DFW. Also D.C. Black social scenes are more career oriented and more about social status. There's also less focus on respectability politics out in D.C. compared to Dallas. D.C. always seem more politically active on a grassroots level more so than Dallas. I think that's definitely ingrained in the more traditional Black neighborhoods in D.C. and than also being the nation's capital.

With that said, Dallas Great Southwest area might be closer to PG County. Maybe a more affordable version of PG County.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:18 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
In other words, like the black folk in DC?
DC's Black population is flashy in a different way I think. I can speak specifically to East of the River DC which has many higher earning Black households making over $250K. People drive nice cars, but don't wear Gucci, Dior, or expensive jewelry everyday. I live along this corridor below and on my street where I live, there are 5 Mercedes Benz, a BMW, and a Range Rover. They're a dime a dozen East of the River in DC which is 90% Black, but that's about the extent of the flash in DC I think.

East Capitol St. SE = 88% Black with a $107,670 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 76% Black with a $120,625 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 96% Black with a $110,147 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 88% Black with a $101,118 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 72% Black with a $125,122 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 91% Black with a $98,145 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 71% Black with a $96,458 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 82% Black with a $92,460 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 100% Black with a $87,576 Median Income

East Capitol St. SE = 92% Black with a $83,533 Median Income

Old 10-21-2023, 10:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah but Houston's black population is definitely more flashy and aligned with Atlanta than Dallas is. DFW Black population is generally the complete opposite of Dallas reputation as a whole. The perception is that the DFW Black population is more conservative(not politically), more focused on respectability politics and less flashy.
It's a very interesting thing just how much divergence/convergence exists between Black Americans and the general populations of various cities, both in terms of perception (or reputation) and reality. I'd say at one time the difference was starkest in Atlanta but since the turn of the century especially, it's arguably been DC.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:50 AM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
I think Houston will be the next city with a concentration of black wealth and culture. Atlanta and DC are there presently but I'm always surprised to see Charlotte being mentioned with places 2, 3 and 4 times its size.
Charlotte has a very high African American population even in comparison to other cities. The lifestyle for African Americans with wealth in Charlotte is on par with those cities for the most past even if it is smaller.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:18 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
This is my personal observation. Having a large house, being an entertainer, or having a high-paying job does not define a mecca or is a sign of progression, if you have large amounts of debt, have a huge black homeless problem while so many mega-churches have entertainment services each Sunday without impacting their communities, but making the preacher rich, being an emotional wreck, angry 24/7, partying frequently until 7 am, over sexual, not committed to your partners, or raising your kids. Most of the blacks with lots of money in Atlanta, are not influential and generally is a slave to the corporate or entertainment system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City