Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro has the most luxury cars per capita?
Los Angeles 24 28.24%
New York 1 1.18%
Miami 32 37.65%
Dallas 5 5.88%
Houston 3 3.53%
San Francisco 7 8.24%
Chicago 2 2.35%
Washington DC 2 2.35%
Atlanta 5 5.88%
Seattle 1 1.18%
Other 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 05:50 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
No doubt in my mind, the Los Angeles metropolitan area. “Car culture central” of the US. Your car essentially defines who you are. Followed by Miami.
Lol where is anyone seeing this in? Yeah every once in a while you'll see Lambo in the wild in Los Angeles, but you're probably just as likely to see a beater parked in front of a 7 million dollar house.

As far as southern CA generally, I'm on the 5 every single day (unfortunately) and its pretty rare to see a luxury sports car, usually a Tesla is the upper end of it, then as you get farther north Lexus and Mercedes (I'm not even sure those are considered a big deal these days). If I do see a Porsche, it will be the crossover/SUV model.

...and unless its to tell me its making a noise or something, I don't think I've ever had anyone judge me by my car in CA, if its even brought up its to make small talk (oh, how are you liking the Hyundai, etc).

Last edited by Losfrisco; 11-07-2023 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 06:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
this bizarre slow chase in SF today reminded me of this thread LOL

Old 11-08-2023, 02:48 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I was in LA earlier this year and didn't see that many luxury cars besides in Beverly Hills. But I see a similar amount of luxury cars in Buckhead Atlanta as well (Recently saw a Pagani Huayra and Bugatti Chiron at Buckhead Village). Miami has a lot of luxury cars around Bal Harbour and South Beach.
I think LA has lots - more than I ever saw in the Atlanta or Miami areas. Drive through Brentwood, Westwood, Malibu or beach areas of Orange County CA and it seems like most are luxury cars and every third or fourth car is some exotic. Seen a few Bugatti's - in San Francisco, LA and Dubai.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:38 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I think LA has lots - more than I ever saw in the Atlanta or Miami areas. Drive through Brentwood, Westwood, Malibu or beach areas of Orange County CA and it seems like most are luxury cars and every third or fourth car is some exotic. Seen a few Bugatti's - in San Francisco, LA and Dubai.
As you point out, you have to be in the right parts of LA. There are also plenty of areas where you will hardly see luxury cars at all. In that sense the LA metro is at a disadvantage in this debate because it's so huge.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Driving an Audi, BMW or Mercedes isn't a big deal. There are plenty of people making less than 60K per year driving those all over America.

In the 70s and 80s, owning a Mercedes and going on exotic vacations was probably a real status symbol. In 2023, you can go on Carvana, buy a 2016 C-Class for 20K and have it shipped across the country. You can also book trips to Bali, Santorini and Bora Bora relatively inexpensively, especially with the prominence of credit card rewards.

Yesterday's status symbol is not today's status symbol. Today's status symbol is being able to afford good private school for 2+ children plus being able to pay college tuition for at least 2 of them at the same time.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:13 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Driving an Audi, BMW or Mercedes isn't a big deal. There are plenty of people making less than 60K per year driving those all over America.

In the 70s and 80s, owning a Mercedes and going on exotic vacations was probably a real status symbol. In 2023, you can go on Carvana, buy a 2016 C-Class for 20K and have it shipped across the country. You can also book trips to Bali, Santorini and Bora Bora relatively inexpensively, especially with the prominence of credit card rewards.

Yesterday's status symbol is not today's status symbol. Today's status symbol is being able to afford good private school for 2+ children plus being able to pay college tuition for at least 2 of them at the same time.

yeah, a lot of the private trainers at the gym I used to work out at and in the one I currently do earn the above income you stated and drive an entry level BMW or 5 year old used 5 Series, for example--though not a more expensive new M5 or 7 series.

Perhaps this thread should separate exotic cars out from entry level "luxury" cars (and/or at least have a minimum dollar value attached...i.e. starting at $150 - 200K?--cars that are not a dime a dozen)

Old 11-08-2023, 09:19 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Yeah, I have always been a Mercedes driver since high school but they are sooooo common now everywhere, which I dont mind, but I dont really view the brand as all that anymore as far as status---although I currently drive a EQS sedan and I love it---

Old 11-08-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
yeah, a lot of the private trainers at the gym I used to work out at and in the one I currently do earn the above income you stated and drive an entry level BMW or 5 year old used 5 Series, for example--though not a more expensive new M5 or 7 series.

Perhaps this thread should separate exotic cars out from entry level "luxury" cars (and/or at least have a minimum dollar value attached...i.e. starting at $150 - 200K?--cars that are not a dime a dozen)
"Yesterday's price is not today's price!"

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wPk5-uw2syQ

I remember watching this episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Will Smith hits on this girl sitting by a pool. He asks, "Hey baby, what do I need to get with honey like you?" And she replies:

"A six-figure job and a BMW."

That episode probably aired around 1991-92. Funny how things change because I don't think most people would consider a low six-figure job or a BMW to be some great achievement anymore.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, I have always been a Mercedes driver since high school but they are sooooo common now everywhere, which I dont mind, but I dont really view the brand as all that anymore as far as status---although I currently drive a EQS sedan and I love it---
I think in almost any large metro area (2M+), if you visit a suburban mall or shopping center, about 1 in 6 cars in the parking lot will be a "luxury" car. Maybe a metro like Detroit or some other Midwestern metros with stronger ties to the American auto industry will have a lower prevalence, but I'd say 1 in 6 is probably about the average across the board. As you said, they are common everywhere.

To really stand out, you probably need to spend at least 200K. That puts you into brand new Porsche 911 Turbo S, Lamborghini Urus, McLaren territory. If you're the type who wants to pull up to the nightclub and turn heads, that's the bare minimum you need to be driving.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I’ve got a friend who has a Tesla Plaid—blows away ALL cars on the road 0-60, including those costing a couple of hundred thousand to $1M+ more.
Meh, it's good in a straight line. The Lucid Sapphire is a touch faster with much better handling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City