Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 07:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Yes, but AAA can be fun to watch...not televised so no commercials and therefore quick inning breaks. Commercials are driving me away from watching most sports on TV. Also MLB games are still too long to attend very often, even with the recent improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 12:48 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...s-value-2017-5

Minneapolis is a secondtier city in terms of revenue. Let's stop trying to push this narrative it's up there with the big boys. It's below Phoenix of all cities.
LOL!

Who claimed Minneapolis is up there with "big boys"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Also AAA baseball is really reaching to the back of the fridge for a thread like this.
Again, there are plenty of options when it comes to sports in Minneapolis - St. Paul, including AAA baseball.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:56 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL!

Who claimed it's up there with "big boys"?

Again, there are plenty of options when it comes to sports in Minneapolis - St. Paul, including AAA baseball.
I agree that Minneapolis is a big sports place. The fact that it has fewer votes than KC shows people are voting based on big four team legacy and not total capacity for sporting events (which would seem to be the criteria).

Old 11-29-2023, 02:43 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
LOL!

Who claimed Minneapolis is up there with "big boys"?

Again, there are plenty of options when it comes to sports in Minneapolis-St. - St. Paul, including AAA baseball.

You kinda implied it by solely listing it in a thread titled "Cities That Are Sports Capitals..."

The fact that Minneapolis has 4 pro teams is irrelevant if they aren't generating revenue, which was the OP's point. Minneapolis is only slightly outperforming Pittsburgh despite the fanbase spanning almost four states and Pittsburgh only having 3 pro teams.

The two things in Minneapolis' favor are its well-connected transit system and indoor stadiums, making winter sporting events tolerable.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I agree that Minneapolis is a big sports place. The fact that it has fewer votes than KC shows people are voting based on big four team legacy and not total capacity for sporting events (which would seem to be the criteria).

So 8 people from KC voted for KC. The fact that KC is ahead of Minneapolis in a meaningless sports thread is... meaningless.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You kinda implied it by solely listing it in a thread titled "Cities That Are Sports Capitals..."
Go back read my post -> While I wouldn't consider it the sports capital, there is plenty of sports entertainment in Minneapolis - St. Paul

Quote:
The fact that Minneapolis has 4 pro teams is irrelevant if they aren't generating revenue, which was the OP's point. Minneapolis is only slightly outperforming Pittsburgh despite the fanbase spanning almost four states and Pittsburgh only having 3 pro teams.

The two things in Minneapolis' favor are its well-connected transit system and indoor stadiums, making winter sporting events tolerable.
5 pro teams - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLS (some would include WNBA so... 6). If you're going to argue, at least get your facts straight. Regarding revenue, where is your source? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Also, your comment about Minneapolis having indoor stadiums for winter sporting events is ridiculous as all NHL and NBA teams play indoors as do a number of NFL teams.

Last edited by YIMBY; 11-29-2023 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 03:29 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Go back read my post -> While I wouldn't consider it the sports capital, there is plenty of sports entertainment in Minneapolis - St. Paul

5 pro teams - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLS (some would include WNBA so... 6). If you're going to argue, at least get your facts straight.

Also, your comment about Minneapolis having indoor stadiums for winter sporting events is ridiculous as all NHL and NBA teams play indoors as do a number of NFL teams.
I suppose it’s ridiculous to say the Vikings benefit from a nice indoor stadium when it reaches 30 or below degrees in the fall and winter, Lol. Everyone knows the NHL and NBA plays indoors. To my surprise , the twins no longer play indoors which I’m sure is partly responsible for their terrible attendance record the past decade. Why freeze outdoors at night to watch a middle of the pack team?

And it’s funny you knock Kansas City when it’s a host city for the World Cup in 2026, the same event Minneapolis pulled out of because the city was unable to financially support the event. Again, the city your championing for lost out to a city with only 3 professional sports teams to your 6. That’s embarrassing and NOT indicative of being a "sports capital".

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 11-29-2023 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 03:41 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
So 8 people from KC voted for KC. The fact that KC is ahead of Minneapolis in a meaningless sports thread is... meaningless.
Statistically speaking, should be way more forum members in the MSP market than the KC.

Can't know it all, but I'll stick with my instinct that 8 random people voted for the Chiefs (a huge bandwagon team).

Old 11-29-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I suppose it’s ridiculous to say the Vikings benefit from a nice indoor stadium when it reaches 30 or below degrees in the fall and winter, Lol. Everyone knows the NHL and NBA plays indoors. To my surprise , the twins no longer play indoors which I’m sure is partly responsible for their terrible attendance record the past decade. Why freeze outdoors at night to watch a middle of the pack team?

You didn't know the Twins have been playing outdoors for over a decade? Imagine that.

Having a very mediocre team in the worst MLB division has more to do with attendance than playing in an outdoor stadium.

Quote:
And it’s funny you knock Kansas City when it’s a host city for the World Cup in 2026, the same event Minneapolis pulled out of because the city was unable to financially support the event. Again, the city your championing for lost out to a city with only 3 professional sports teams to your 6. That’s embarrassing.
How did I knock Kansas City? KC has amazing fans. This fact doesn't it make it a sports capital.

Minneapolis pulled out of the running because FIFA could not provide a certainty on some major unknowns that would put the city and its taxpayers at risk. Human rights was also a reason for pulling out so good for Minneapolis and the other cities, including Chicago and Phoenix, who did the same. BTW, Minneapolis has far more corporate and private support than Kansas City so not being able to financially support the World Cup wasn't the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bid/430939002/

I suggest you move on.

Last edited by YIMBY; 11-29-2023 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2023, 03:28 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
"With merger approved by regulators, combined XFL-USFL will launch on March 30, 2024"
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...ch-on-march-30

Does The XFL-USFL count as a Major League? (New Spring Football League)

If So Places Like St Louis will have 3 professional teams, places like San Antonio and Memphis can count 2 professional teams and places like Birmingham Alabama will have 1 Professional Sports League
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City