Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:14 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
One thing that hasn’t been brought up is sports radio rankings and market share. In cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, this is big stuff. It’s a pseudo-gauge on how involved an area is day in and day out.

Since the departure of Francesa and Russo on New York’s WFAN, Boston’s 98.5 The Sports Hub lead by Felger and Mazz has dominated the National Barret Rankings. Felger and Mazz float between a 20-25% local market share. I believe those Nielsen ratings mean 1/4 or 1/5 of all radio listeners are tuned into Felger and Mazz sports talk. That’s insane given the fact that 98.5 isn’t the only sports talk station locally. In fact, the simulcasts viewership for Felger and Mazz often outdo popular TV shows. Meaning, more households in Boston are watching them talk sports than nearly anything else on TV late afternoons and early evening.

I know they are widely considered the industry standard now. I’d have to look at the other cities most popular shows/personalities to understand Nielsen ratings. But that’s one thing I know from living in Boston and then elsewhere… It’s a religion there.
Great point! It's definitely one way to gauge fan interest and involvement beyond attendance numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 11:08 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
As are the Blackhawks, Flyers, and two-thirds of the NYC area teams.

The Rams are 6th in attendance. I don't know the stats on opposing fan ticket sales but it makes sense that a city without a team for 3 decades would have fans of other teams. Especially in a sports capital. Either way the fans are there.
They maybe 6th in attendance but most people who at Rams games aren't Rams fans. Most of them are fans of the opposing team, Their on vacation in L.A. or are transplants from other cities that go to the games to support their hometown team. L.A. doesn't have a die-hard football fanbase right now. The Rams' Super Bowl parade was a clear example of that. In a city of 5 million-plus, only over 20,000 fans showed up to that parade.

Old 12-11-2023, 02:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Default MLS MLB NFL NBA NHL cities ranked by attendance and value

This is my list of sports capitals based on attendance and value in MLS MLB NHL NBA and NFL.

Tier 1
New York City
Los Angeles
Boston
Toronto
Chicago

Tier 2
Dallas
Washington DC
Houston
Philly

Tier 3
Atlanta
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland

Tier 4 (no particular order)
Green Bay
Montreal
Miami
Denver
Charlotte
St. Louis

Tier 5 (no particular order)
Edmonton
Baltimore
San Diego
Nashville
Cincinnati
Raleigh
Tampa
Vancouver
Minneapolis
Cleveland

I personally wanted to kick San Diego and St. Louis up a notch just because of a phenomenal fan experience at mlb games but that wouldn't be objective.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-11-2023 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: take portland out of 5th tier

Old 12-11-2023, 04:20 PM

4,522 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is my list of sports capitals based on attendance and value in MLS MLB NHL NBA and NFL.

Tier 1
New York City
Los Angeles
Boston
Toronto
Chicago

Tier 2
Dallas
Washington DC
Houston
Philly

Tier 3
Atlanta
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland

Green Bay
Montreal
Miami
Denver
Charlotte
St. Louis

Edmonton
Baltimore
San Diego
Nashville
Cincinnati
Raleigh
Tampa
Vancouver
Minneapolis
Cleveland

I personally wanted to kick San Diego and St. Louis up a notch just because of a phenomenal fan experience at mlb games but that wouldn't be objective.
I have no idea what your criteria means. All I do know is that dropping a sports-crazed city like Cleveland to the lowest tier (with the likes of Raleigh and Tampa) with some of the best attendance (NFL and NBA) and rising attendance last season with the Guardians (MLB), the finest, most-accessible downtown arena complex and with some of the best sports bars ... makes absolutely zero sense.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I have no idea what your criteria means. All I do know is that dropping a sports-crazed city like Cleveland to the lowest tier (with the likes of Raleigh and Tampa) with some of the best attendance (NFL and NBA) and rising attendance last season with the Guardians (MLB), the finest, most-accessible downtown arena complex and with some of the best sports bars ... makes absolutely zero sense.
Yes it does.

Cleveland NFL ranks 19 in attendance. NBA ranks 7th.

NBA value is 17. The browns are 19th.

I think Cleveland is a wonderful city. But I was looking at what cities ranked in the top 10 of value and attendance.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:20 PM

4,522 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Yes it does.

Cleveland NFL ranks 19 in attendance. NBA ranks 7th.

NBA value is 17. The browns are 19th.

I think Cleveland is a wonderful city. But I was looking at what cities ranked in the top 10 of value and attendance.
OK on attendance, although I'm really skeptical the Browns would be so low at 19th. The fact the Cavs rank 7th in attendance as a small market team, means something. But what the heck is 'value?

Old 12-11-2023, 06:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
One thing that hasn’t been brought up is sports radio rankings and market share. In cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, this is big stuff. It’s a pseudo-gauge on how involved an area is day in and day out.

Since the departure of Francesa and Russo on New York’s WFAN, Boston’s 98.5 The Sports Hub lead by Felger and Mazz has dominated the National Barret Rankings. Felger and Mazz float between a 20-25% local market share. I believe those Nielsen ratings mean 1/4 or 1/5 of all radio listeners are tuned into Felger and Mazz sports talk. That’s insane given the fact that 98.5 isn’t the only sports talk station locally. In fact, the simulcasts viewership for Felger and Mazz often outdo popular TV shows. Meaning, more households in Boston are watching them talk sports than nearly anything else on TV late afternoons and early evening.

I know they are widely considered the industry standard now. I’d have to look at the other cities most popular shows/personalities to understand Nielsen ratings. But that’s one thing I know from living in Boston and then elsewhere… It’s a religion there.
Boston is considered a launch pad career wise for anythingsports, former ESPN Reporter Michael Smith said as much. I remember for years there was ESPN Boston to match with ESPN Chicago LA and NY.

I also remembered recently that Dana White founded the UFC. White lived in MA and Bostonvoff an on before returning to Las Vegas to start UFC. Went to UMass Boston in Dorchester and fought in Peter Welch's Gym in Southie. I could go on with pugilist stories though.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
OK on attendance, although I'm really skeptical the Browns would be so low at 19th. The fact the Cavs rank 7th in attendance as a small market team, means something. But what the heck is 'value?
How much the franchise is worth.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:12 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
I would say: Boston, Philly, Chicago and NY are the top 4 in that all 4 major sports are major franchise with loyal followings. Maybe LA, although their commitment to NFL is pretty weak. Detroit should probably also be up there.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:41 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:

Tier 1
New York City
Los Angeles
Boston
Toronto
Chicago

Tier 2
Dallas
Washington DC
Houston
Philly

Tier 3
Atlanta
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland

Green Bay
Montreal
Miami
Denver
Charlotte
St. Louis

Edmonton
Baltimore
San Diego
Nashville
Cincinnati
Raleigh
Tampa
Vancouver
Minneapolis
Cleveland

You can move DC a notch down. Capital & Wizards are moving to VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City