Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 06:17 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think Dallas is currently leading (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/socc...nndigqnsdenifm) FIFA LOVES Dallas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pick NY/NJ because its the largest city in the US. Even though Arlington has no mass rapid transit, the infrastructure in NJ/NYC is not ready for this.
That article is lazy and regurgitated bs from Op-eds and previous insights. I could easily counter thatarticle with several others stating how much they love NJ/NY and how this area has already been pre-awarded the final.

And FIFA LOVES New York more than Dallas, don't kid yourself. Several high ranking FIFA officials have residences in the NY area, not Dallas lol The NY area was the original soccer hotbed in the US with the Cosmos, Pele, Soccertown USA and the rest, and is still home to throngs of generational soccer diehards from all corners of the globe. NY has long been a soccer crazy area from youth level to the pros.

The only thing Dallas and any other US city NOT named New York have going for it are newer, shinier facilities and roads. No other place has NYC which the Internationals LOVE. That's the game changer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 06:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
That article is lazy and regurgitated bs from Op-eds and previous insights. I could easily counter thatarticle with several others stating how much they love NJ/NY and how this area has already been pre-awarded the final.

And FIFA LOVES New York more than Dallas, don't kid yourself. Several high ranking FIFA officials have residences in the NY area, not Dallas lol The NY area was the original soccer hotbed in the US with the Cosmos, Pele, Soccertown USA and the rest, and is still home to throngs of generational soccer diehards from all corners of the globe. NY has long been a soccer crazy area from youth level to the pros.

The only thing Dallas and any other US city NOT named New York have going for it are newer, shinier facilities and roads. No other place has NYC which the Internationals LOVE. That's the game changer.
Yeah I don't know anything about that article and their company.

There is a lot of NYC Boosting in there lol... But I found a good point you made. The bolded, is quite literally the decision maker. Dallas has some of the best infrastructure in the country to handle an influx of that many people over the course of a week or so. Between DFW Airport, the highways, capacity of hotels in the area, and limited congestion, is all going to be a win-win for FIFA and stadium goers. The stadium? I find MetLife rather souless, albeit big. But Dallas can go even bigger. That will definitely work in their favor.

I think them bringing LA in is an absolute joke. That should be a distant third. Dallas would be the clear #1 for me, with NY second.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Once again: it is absurd and biased that Cleveland is not on this list, esp as:

- the smallest metro area with 3 major-sports teams

- some of the Midwest's best micro-brewery/sports bars (esp. in booming Ohio City across the river from downtown)

- generally among best attendance, esp over time

- well-known passionate fans who back their teams even when they're not at the top

- among the most transit accessible stadium access for all 3 major-sports venues (with all 3 directly serviced by a rapid transit (rail) line.

- A major college football town (esp backing Ohio State) even without a D1 college in the metro area.

So it's quite obvious Cleveland should not be an "other," ... it needs to be ON the list, and whoever created it was badly misguided.

Last edited by TheProf; 01-05-2024 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2024, 08:50 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Once again: it is absurd and biased that Cleveland is not on this list, esp as:

- the smallest metro area with 3 major-sports teams

- some of the Midwest's best micro-brewery/sports bars (esp. in booming Ohio City across the river from downtown)

- generally among best attendance, esp over time

- well-known passionate fans who back their teams even when they're not at the top

- among the most transit accessible stadium access for all 3 major-sports venues (with all 3 directly serviced by a rapid transit (rail) line.

- A major college football town (esp backing Ohio State) even without a D1 college in the metro area.

So it's quite obvious Cleveland should not be an "other," ... it needs to be ON the list, and whoever created it was badly misguided.
Agree
Cleveland is a better sports city than 1/3 to 3/4 of the cities on here

Old 01-05-2024, 11:16 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
For determining a sports "capital" for revenue, should it be split between total revenue accumulate (LA and NY would top here due to the number of franchises) and between the % that the revenue of the franchises produce for the MSA's GDP?

Sure NYC area teams generate more in total compared to smaller markets. But what % of NYC's GDP comes from their sports franchises compared to a place like Kansas City or Cleveland?

Columbus, Ohio only has 2 pro sports franchises, but the Ohio State revenue is likely very high and probably a huge part of the economy of the city. Take that away, and it would hurt big time.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
This is the one thing where I would say, Dallas should get the nod.
Much better stadium.

MetLife is a dump.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Much better stadium.

MetLife is a dump.
Now that part I can agree with you both on. As a former longtime Jets season ticket holder MetLife is an uninspired, concrete ****house. NY football owners could've and should've done way better but they make too much money to care.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:14 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Now that part I can agree with you both on. As a former longtime Jets season ticket holder MetLife is an uninspired, concrete ****house. NY football owners could've and should've done way better but they make too much money to care.
Old Giants stadium was definitely better… but to Youtube vlogger, no its not a dump. A dump would Oakland Collesium, also the poor As. Thats a dump lol.

BigCity summed it up how I see it. 2000s bland modernism that can be easily transfered to a different team. Theres no soul to Metlife. Its generic.

But, the issue for me is around MetLife. Its a disaster getting in/out. Itll be a mess.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Old Giants stadium was definitely better… but to Youtube vlogger, no its not a dump. A dump would Oakland Collesium, also the poor As. Thats a dump lol.

BigCity summed it up how I see it. 2000s bland modernism that can be easily transfered to a different team. Theres no soul to Metlife. Its generic.

But, the issue for me is around MetLife. Its a disaster getting in/out. Itll be a mess.
True that Oakland Coliseum is a bigger dump. Same is true for Tropicana Field in St. Pete too.

However, I disagree with you about MetLife not being a dump.

Oakland Coliseum was built in 1964, 60 years ago. The Trop was built 34 years ago in 1990. MetLife Stadium was built 14 years ago...for $1.6 Billion dollars!

Yes it is bland and uninspired for any price. But for over $1,500,000,000, it is undeniably a dump.

Compare MetLife to other Billion dollar stadiums built in the past 15 years: AT&T in Arlington ($1.3 billion in 2009), Mercedes in Atlanta ($1.6 billion in 2016), SoFI in Inglewood ($5.5 billion in 2020). Compare MetLife to other billion+ stadiums, and it is an embarrassment to NY/NJ in my opinion that that is what they built. Not to mention that there is absolutely zero ability to create a climate controlled environment, which would be pretty important in the northeast US, especially with a location in the middle of a marsh/swamp.

Absolute dump for well over a billion dollars.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That's an underrated point here too. It's not just one franchise, but two, who use that stadium. I have yet to be to every stadium in the NFL, but I've been to more than a handful (Tampa, Miami, Philly, New England, Indianapolis, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, Houston, Carolina, New Orleans, Oakland for baseball, Las Vegas, Detroit, ...just off the top of my head) and MetLife is absolutely one of the worst ones of the ones I've been to, outside of maybe Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City