Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 05:09 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

indisputable top 4's
I agree with this. The legacy of their sports teams, along with the proportion of "born and bred" metro residents who are feverish sports fans, makes these four cities tops.

It's weird that Charlotte and Nashville made the list, but Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 08:48 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
IMO, the map doesn't accurately show NYC’s dominance over Northern PA. All the surrounding bordering counties are firmly under New Yorks fan sphere. The map also didn't account for the large number of Ravens fans in South Central PA either.

This reaffirms my belief that Philly’s sphere of influence is geographically small within its own state while simultaneously being the largest in terms of population.
Yeah isnt that central northern part pf PA, where eagles meet steelers, but against the NYS border… a slight tilt to NY sports fandom?

Old 01-07-2024, 03:50 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Ok, I'm stepping into this LA NFL thing.

Raiders, you go to LA, your co-natural home. Oakland, sorry, LA is bigger and needs to eat more.

Chargers, you go to Vegas to develop a fan base by being the only local team.

Rams, you can stay, but no more fifth round draft picks.
Raiders have always had a strong fan base in LV, long before they moved there.

I do agree that the Raiders make more sense than the Chargers in LA. The Chargers need to move back to SD imo.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:45 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It's weird that Charlotte and Nashville made the list, but Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore did not.
Very weird... Shows a bias.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:01 PM

578 posts, read 301,297 times
Sports capital should not just be a city with the major sports but one who wins. This year I’d put Dallas and Houston at the top. Sorry nyc, Boston etc. you don’t win for being a coastal city you got to win lol

Old 01-08-2024, 10:41 AM

719 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I agree with this. The legacy of their sports teams, along with the proportion of "born and bred" metro residents who are feverish sports fans, makes these four cities tops.

Well in IncCharlotrs case not at all weird.#

1. ACC headquarters
2.CIAA headquarters
3. Big South headquarters
4. ACC Football Championship long term site
5. ACC Baseball championship longterm site
6. Home of College football kickoff game
7. Duke Mayo Bowl game
8. Home of NASCAR
9. MLS Charlotte FC
10. NBA Hornets
11. NFL Panthers
11. Major international soccer games
12. Mens NCAA tournament host
13. NBA Allstars game host
14. Mens NCAA championship host
15. Home of ESPNU
Etc.....

Old 01-08-2024, 12:32 PM

255 posts, read 159,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Sports capital should not just be a city with the major sports but one who wins. This year I’d put Dallas and Houston at the top. Sorry nyc, Boston etc. you don’t win for being a coastal city you got to win lol
Even if I agreed with your logic, what did Houston win this year? Does the city have a championship this year? The Astros lost in the ALCS. The Texans won the division, but aren't exactly favorites to win the Super Bowl. The Rockets are mediocre. And the city doesn't have an NHL team.

Note: You specified this year, so I only including results from the last calender year to now.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I don't know anyone in Dallas/Houston who care for their professional sports teams as much as they do on the East Coast. College sports are you talking about? Then you would have a point. But pro sports? nah.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I don't know anyone in Dallas/Houston who care for their professional sports teams as much as they do on the East Coast. College sports are you talking about? Then you would have a point. But pro sports? nah.
You'd be wrong. Dallas cares deeply for the Cowboys and Mavs. Houston cares deeply for the Texans and Astros. Dallas especially and Houston to a lesser extent are more of a pro sports town than they are college sports towns. If you go by attendance numbers, before the current run of the Sixers, Philadelphia was at the bottom of attendance lists in the mid 2010s. Did they not care for the Sixers then?

Old 01-08-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You'd be wrong. Dallas cares deeply for the Cowboys and Mavs. Houston cares deeply for the Texans and Astros. Dallas especially and Houston to a lesser extent are more of a pro sports town than they are college sports towns. If you go by attendance numbers, before the current run of the Sixers, Philadelphia was at the bottom of attendance lists in the mid 2010s. Did they not care for the Sixers then?
Cherry picking teams. Dallas Stars? Rangers?

This attendance thing would have ti involve an analysis, comparing all 8 teams between Dallas and Pnilly, then to their population. Nobody has time for that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City