Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 11:08 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

Seattle's companies are much larger than Dallas' in market cap.

I have no idea what the total is for Dallas, but it's not several trillion.

Edit: Looking at the top Dallas companies' market caps....they're a tiny fraction of Seattle's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 12:08 PM

211 posts, read 119,096 times
On the matter of Cincinnati, it’s Metro has seen solid growth while Cleveland’s has lost people. Cincinnati’s core I’d say is further along. It’s crime problem isn’t as large. And it has more amenable weather to a sun-belt style boom as well as many sunbelt style suburbs. It also has arguably a stronger economy than Cleveland and it’s more built out and robust than Colombus with a better natural setting

Old 02-26-2024, 12:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camthomas View Post
whoopsie daisy

if you asked a dallasite they'd be #1 above nyc and the gap between them and nyc would be bigger than nyc and la.
lmao

Old 02-26-2024, 01:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
anyway, a well known social demographer/cartographer made a ranking of world cities for the midpoint of 2023, and here is how US Cities scored, and this is by Metro Area

The model uses forty regularly updated data sources to calculate importance, with economic output and impact comprising the largest part of each city’s score:

Global City Ranking-Mid 2023

8.6----Phoenix
8.5----Detroit
8.4----San Diego
8.2----Denver
8.1----Minneapolis-St Paul

Detroit is above Phoenix followed by San Diego, and Minneapolis. It's either Denver and Phoenix after that as both are still more regional.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Well, my rankings aren't about just one thing, there's various criteria. Dallas is only over Seattle to me because the size differential is still too great at the moment. When comparing Dallas to the trio of Atlanta, Miami, and Philly, it's not just that Dallas has the weakest core of the group. It has a weaker education infrastructure than Philly and Atlanta, I think it has weaker global recognizance than all three, it's cultural punch domestically is weaker than all three, it's got the weakest transportation infrastructure than all three, weaker media presence than all three...

And I dont think Dallas is a "weak" city at all, that isn't what I'm saying. But when I had to split hairs on how I'd order the four cities, Dallas was coming in last place or next to last, more often than not, not always by much. Economically it's a powerhouse but all of these cities are economic heavyweights when you get to this level of size and notoriety, how does that translate into the livability and amenities of the city?

I think Atlanta is just more impactful in more areas over Dallas, than Dallas is over Atlanta...

So you also think Dallas is over all three? Interesting to me, I wouldn't have guessed so many people felt so strongly for Dallas. I can see more of an argument for Dallas over Philadelphia and Miami, than I can over Atlanta, I think Atlanta is pretty firmly ahead of Dallas...

Detroit is still a large and powerful city, is on an international border, is still really influential. I could argue Minny over Detroit sure, but anything after Minny I think you're stretching to place Detroit below them!
You said "It has a weaker education infrastructure than Philly and Atlanta, I think it has weaker global recognizance than all three". Weaker how? It can't be public schools. Are you speaking of Colleges? Yes GA Tech and Penn are higher ranked. Emory is like SMU. But DFW has more students -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-college-towns Dallas/FW is 7th largest student population. The ATL MSA is not in top 10.

DFW has more Fortune 500 companies. When was the last time one moved to Atlanta? Its been decades. DFW has had several in the past 15-20 years include CBRE, Caterpillar, McKesson, Charles Schwab, AECOM, Fluor & ATT. Innovation? What has ATL innovated recently? Global stage? Toyota moved its North American HQ to DFW. a much bigger move than MB moving to ATL. DFW ranks 5th for global trade, ATL is 12th - https://www.globaltrademag.com/top-2...-global-trade/

Finance - JPM Chase's second biggest hub is DFW they spent $1.3 billion on their new campus. Yahoo Finance last week wrote an article about the finance industry, noting DFW is now second only to NYC in banking jobs. DFW is BofA's 2nd biggest hub. Its HQs for Comerica.

Largest R/E developers? Depending on the source DFW has at least two in top 15. ATL has none.

GDP for DFW is way larger than that for ATL.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:33 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You said "It has a weaker education infrastructure than Philly and Atlanta, I think it has weaker global recognizance than all three". Weaker how? It can't be public schools. Are you speaking of Colleges? Yes GA Tech and Penn are higher ranked. Emory is like SMU. But DFW has more students -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-college-towns Dallas/FW is 7th largest student population. The ATL MSA is not in top 10.

DFW has more Fortune 500 companies. When was the last time one moved to Atlanta? Its been decades. DFW has had several in the past 15-20 years include CBRE, Caterpillar, McKesson, Charles Schwab, AECOM, Fluor & ATT. Innovation? What has ATL innovated recently? Global stage? Toyota moved its North American HQ to DFW. a much bigger move than MB moving to ATL. DFW ranks 5th for global trade, ATL is 12th - https://www.globaltrademag.com/top-2...-global-trade/

Finance - JPM Chase's second biggest hub is DFW they spent $1.3 billion on their new campus. Yahoo Finance last week wrote an article about the finance industry, noting DFW is now second only to NYC in banking jobs. DFW is BofA's 2nd biggest hub. Its HQs for Comerica.

Largest R/E developers? Depending on the source DFW has at least two in top 15. ATL has none.

GDP for DFW is way larger than that for ATL.
Dallas definitely have an edge on Atlanta financially, but there's absolutely no other category where I see Dallas being close to Atlanta. Atlanta definitely maintains an edge in Global Health, media, and cultural impacts. I don't put too much value into urbanity, but I think Atlanta is slightly ahead there, as well. If I'm basically including all categories, Atlanta trumps Dallas.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Dallas definitely have an edge on Atlanta financially, but there's absolutely no other category where I see Dallas being close to Atlanta. Atlanta definitely maintains an edge in Global Health, media, and cultural impacts. I don't put too much value into urbanity, but I think Atlanta is slightly ahead there, as well. If I'm basically including all categories, Atlanta trumps Dallas.

Media yea I agree with Pinewood Studios and Tyler Perry. Health? CDC is a singular institution. US News says DFW does better overall. Cultural Impacts? Define them. Atlanta sorely lags in infrastructure for cultural pursuits. When was the last time a museum or music hall was built. Zoo Atlanta isn't as good as either the Fort Worth or Dallas Zoo. That Six Flags Amusement Park y'all have, that originated in Dallas. Coca Cola is the icon really of the south but Dr Pepper actually was invented earlier. Stone Mountain is a great attraction but has a daily reminder of the darkest time in American History. DFW is much more diverse, drawing from from more areas of the US and world.

Atlanta has really done great for itself but I think that's because its competitors, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh and Florida were lazy for decades. They've awakened the last 30 years and much more competitive. DFW has had Houston and now Austin to keep it on its toes.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Media yea I agree with Pinewood Studios and Tyler Perry. Health? CDC is a singular institution. US News says DFW does better overall. Cultural Impacts? Define them. Atlanta sorely lags in infrastructure for cultural pursuits. When was the last time a museum or music hall was built. Zoo Atlanta isn't as good as either the Fort Worth or Dallas Zoo. That Six Flags Amusement Park y'all have, that originated in Dallas. Coca Cola is the icon really of the south but Dr Pepper actually was invented earlier. Stone Mountain is a great attraction but has a daily reminder of the darkest time in American History. DFW is much more diverse, drawing from from more areas of the US and world.

Atlanta has really done great for itself but I think that's because its competitors, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh and Florida were lazy for decades. They've awakened the last 30 years and much more competitive. DFW has had Houston and now Austin to keep it on its toes.
Atlanta still hosts more events and conventions than Dallas. It's also the unofficial Fast Food Capital of the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, Atlanta houses more Fast Food HQs than anywhere in the U.S. Also, regarding culture, for better or worse, Atlanta is the cultural capital of Black America. It also houses too many cable networks and filming studios. There's nothing in Dallas that comes close.

Regarding the CDC, you might want to double check that info, Atlanta's the most progressive city in the U.S regarding Global Health. There's a Global Health HQ there and it's linked with Emory and a few more agencies. There's also a Bioparma Mega Center in the works. No knock on Dallas, but a zoo and a better loop isn't going to make it more influential than Atlanta when the latter offers more in the grand scheme of things.

What does Dallas have other than companies moving relocating there? It's an economical juggernaut, but lacks in the other categories compared to Houston, Atlanta, Philly, and Miami.

https://www.biospace.com/article/atl...-add-80k-jobs/

Old 02-26-2024, 03:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta still hosts more events and conventions than Dallas. It's also the unofficial Fast Food Capital of the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, Atlanta houses more Fast Food HQs than anywhere in the U.S. Also, regarding culture, for better or worse, Atlanta is the cultural capital of Black America. It also houses too many cable networks and filming studios. There's nothing in Dallas that comes close.

Regarding the CDC, you might want to double check that info, Atlanta's the most progressive city in the U.S regarding Global Health. There's a Global Health HQ there and it's linked with Emory and a few more agencies. There's also a Bioparma Mega Center in the works. No knock on Dallas, but a zoo and a better loop isn't going to make it more influential than Atlanta when the latter offers more in the grand scheme of things.

What does Dallas have other than companies moving relocating there? It's an economical juggernaut, but lacks in the other categories compared to Houston, Atlanta, Philly, and Miami.

https://www.biospace.com/article/atl...-add-80k-jobs/
Unofficial fast food capital why? Not denying it but genuinely asking why. Because Inspire brands hq is there?

Old 02-26-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Unofficial fast food capital why? Not denying it but genuinely asking why. Because Inspire brands hq is there?
I recently saw that Metro Atlanta housed 25 Fast Food HQs on the news. Yet, the latest article that I could find from 2014 shows 23. However, I know that places such as Papa John's and Zaxby's have relocated there. Also, I'm only referring to the total number of Fast Food companies with HQs there, not on a per capita basis.

Last edited by cdw1084; 02-26-2024 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City