Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 06:46 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta still hosts more events and conventions than Dallas. It's also the unofficial Fast Food Capital of the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, Atlanta houses more Fast Food HQs than anywhere in the U.S. Also, regarding culture, for better or worse, Atlanta is the cultural capital of Black America. It also houses too many cable networks and filming studios. There's nothing in Dallas that comes close.

Regarding the CDC, you might want to double check that info, Atlanta's the most progressive city in the U.S regarding Global Health. There's a Global Health HQ there and it's linked with Emory and a few more agencies. There's also a Bioparma Mega Center in the works. No knock on Dallas, but a zoo and a better loop isn't going to make it more influential than Atlanta when the latter offers more in the grand scheme of things.

What does Dallas have other than companies moving relocating there? It's an economical juggernaut, but lacks in the other categories compared to Houston, Atlanta, Philly, and Miami.

https://www.biospace.com/article/atl...-add-80k-jobs/
I Agree Atlanta Over Dallas in Everything Except Economics, Atlanta is a Cultural Beast. Can't see Dallas over Atlanta anywhere except economics and size, But Surely not Influence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 07:00 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Here’s what I’ll say. When the Patriots were trying to extort Massachusetts to pay for a New Stadium, it was Hartford, not Providence that got the shot at the team. When the Whalers left Boston, they moved to Hartford. Not Providence.

Providence is more artsy, it’s got an Ivy so it has cache. But when push comes to shove, Hartford is the 2nd city in New England.

I won’t challenge Providence having a remarkable little blight and crime considering its income profile. It’s a nicer city than Hartford but it’s not more important

People from Springfield or even New Haven go to a Hartford to see bigger acts or touring Broadway productions and such. While Providence that stuff goes to Boston. Hartford has a pull on places not in its metro area and is a center of its own wealth. While Providence is on Bostons periphery
You should create a separate poll.
Hartford may take economy but probably not much else.

Broadway tours in providence
https://www.ppacri.org/events-tickets/broadway-series

Providence has brown, the number 1 design school in America (risd), a great culinary school (Johnson and wales), and other respected colleges.

Its city and metro population are larger than Hartford and the msa contains more regional destinations than Hartford like Newport or Narragansett. Also a better food scene overall

Last edited by Ne999; 02-26-2024 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-26-2024, 07:35 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
On these threads, people usually deflate Atlanta.

What you see above is accurate.
No one is deflating Atlanta. It's objectively in the same tier as Miami, Philadelphia, Seattle, Dallas and Houston. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it's in a tier with Chicago, lol. They all have relative strengths and weaknesses. The global metric posted by 18Montclair really affirms this.

Boston is also only a half-step up from that grouping, arguably, as well.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:46 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
No one is deflating Atlanta. It's objectively in the same tier as Miami, Philadelphia, Seattle, Dallas and Houston. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it's in a tier with Chicago, lol. They all have relative strengths and weaknesses. The global metric posted by 18Montclair really affirms this.

I think Boston/Houston/Dallas are in one tier and Seattle/Atlanta/Miami/Philly are a half step below

But people don’t like giving credit so Sunbelt cities and are not “urban enough”

Kind of like how people in those “most cosmopolitain city” people were really not ready to admit Houston was solidly like #3.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:48 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This isn't terrible but I have a few qualms. For one thing, I live in Raleigh and while I've grown to love the city, and it certainly is on the rise, I can't in good faith place it over the immediate 9 cities below it on the list...

They have Hampton Roads on their list, of which I am a huge Stan for Virginia Beach----->but it is simply not a more significant city within Virginia than Richmond, and it really isn't that close to it...
Raleigh-Durham is essentially a dual-core ~2 million MSA and its GDP is reflective of that. So in the economic areas that matter it absolutely belongs in the group it's in despite it not having the cultural stature.

Hampton Roads is absolutely more important to VA than Richmond is (in raw economics). It's MSA is almost 400k larger and thats reflected in it's $116 Billion GDP vs. Richmond's $93 Billion.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:35 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:

But people are also claiming that Dallas is 5th and 6th despite being near the bottom in every category minus economics (in its tier). It's only a big deal when someone ranks Atlanta 7th. Quite honestly, Atlanta's not in the same tier as Chicago, but it's certainly not lower than 8th if we're objectively looking at the OP's criteria.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:51 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I Agree Atlanta Over Dallas in Everything Except Economics, Atlanta is a Cultural Beast. Can't see Dallas over Atlanta anywhere except economics and size, But Surely not Influence
Good points and analysis.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:52 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

Chicago is above Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Raleigh-Durham is essentially a dual-core ~2 million MSA and its GDP is reflective of that. So in the economic areas that matter it absolutely belongs in the group it's in despite it not having the cultural stature.

Hampton Roads is absolutely more important to VA than Richmond is (in raw economics). It's MSA is almost 400k larger and thats reflected in it's $116 Billion GDP vs. Richmond's $93 Billion.
You have your way of viewing this, I have mine. My consideration of all of these places isn't simply based on one metric, so sure, if it was simply based on metro economy Triangle would belong with other places...

You'd instantly notice a contrast in scale and offerings if you go from Charlotte or Sacramento or Pittsburgh etc, and then to Raleigh. It's not there yet and it may be somewhat undervalued but it's not on that scale yet...

Richmond's total GDP is at $109.5B, about $6.5B short of the $116B in the dual-core Tidewater. This is reflective of more dynamism in Richmond and again I guess if you simply base how you relate cities on economics, that $6.5B gap outweighs everything to you. I put a large onus on economy, of which Richmond's is significantly more diverse and dynamic, but given economy isn't the sole criteria I go off of, it's not even close the cultural relevance or influence within the state between the two. Richmond is by a pretty good margin Virginia's #1 city. Virginia Beach/Norfolk is by a pretty good margin Virginia's #2 city, and after that there is no close #3. But the order is very much 1 Richmond, 2 Virginia Beach...

Old 02-27-2024, 04:26 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
On these threads, people usually deflate Atlanta.

What you see above is accurate.
I do not think that’s accurate at all. There is no gap between Atlanta and the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City