Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 04:18 PM

346 posts, read 127,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I recently saw that Metro Atlanta housed 25 Fast Food HQs on the news. Yet, the latest article that I could find from 2014 shows 23. However, I know that places such as Papa John's and Zaxby's have relocated there. Also, I'm only referring to the total number of Fast Food companies with HQs there, not on a per capital basis.
I'm not sure if DFW has that many, but I know it has a lot.
A ton of the major chains are headquartered there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 04:22 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So ahead of Miami and Philly?

I don't disagree with an assertion Dallas is Top 10; someone has to be left out. My thing with Dallas, is it's core is just simply smaller and less developed than the cities ahead of it. I was in Dallas in August/September, its downtown and central core are relatively small. It's public transit isn't as robust, and I think Seattle is closing the gap on Dallas...

I'm not against Dallas as Top 10, though!
Great list!

Only thing, the Top 12 should be:
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Washington
5 San Francisco
6 Boston
7 Atlanta
8 Houston
9 Miami
10 Dallas
11 Philadelphia

12 Seattle

Correct Top 12 with gaps:

1 New York

(gap)

2 Los Angeles

(gap)

3 Chicago
4 Washington
5 San Francisco
6 Boston
7 Atlanta

(gap)

8 Houston
9 Miami
10 Dallas

(gap)

11 Philadelphia
12 Seattle

Old 02-26-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I disagree. Atlanta's cultural impact, media blueprint and rise in global health gives it a solid advantage over Dallas. Dallas may be growing faster, but Atlanta isn't sitting idle.
Indeed.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:29 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Great list!

Correct Top 12 with gaps:

1 New York

(gap)

2 Los Angeles

(gap)

3 Chicago
4 Washington
5 San Francisco
6 Boston
7 Atlanta

(gap)

8 Houston
9 Miami
10 Dallas

(gap)

11 Philadelphia
12 Seattle
I know this is a subjective thread (as most are), but I don't see how there are "gaps" between the bolded cities. They are all relative peers and any one of them could make an argument for #7 though #12.
And there certainly are not 2 "gaps" between Atlanta and Philadelphia/Seattle.

The vibe from some posts in this thread (I see in every "most relevant city" thread) is some people inflate Atlanta and deflate Philadelphia & Seattle.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Might have Atlanta, Houston, Dallas as my 7 8 9 but solid list.
Good points. I could agree with this as well.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I know this is a subjective thread (as most are), but I don't see how there are "gaps" between the bolded cities. They are all relative peers and any one of them could make an argument for #7 though #12.
And there certainly are not 2 "gaps" between Atlanta and Philadelphia/Seattle.

The vibe I'm getting from this thread (as I do with every "most relevant city" thread) is that people inflate Atlanta and deflate Philadelphia & Seattle.
On these threads, people usually deflate Atlanta.

What you see above is accurate.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:14 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
anyway, a well known social demographer/cartographer made a ranking of world cities for the midpoint of 2023, and here is how US Cities scored, and this is by Metro Area

The model uses forty regularly updated data sources to calculate importance, with economic output and impact comprising the largest part of each city’s score:

Global City Ranking-Mid 2023
100.0--New York
44.4---Los Angeles
38.4---San Francisco Bay Area
30.4---Chicago
27.2---Washington
20.0---Boston
16.8---Dallas-Ft Worth
16.2---Houston
15.3---Atlanta
14.7---Miami
14.2---Philadelphia
13.3---Seattle
8.6----Phoenix
8.5----Detroit
8.4----San Diego
8.2----Denver
8.1----Minneapolis-St Paul
6.2----Baltimore
5.9----Charlotte
5.4----Las Vegas
5.3----Austin
5.0----Portland
5.0----Tampa Bay Area
4.9----Cleveland
4.8----St Louis
4.8----Salt Lake City
4.4----Raleigh-Durham
4.2----Pittsburgh
4.2----Cincinnati
4.1----Sacramento
4.0----Nashville
3.9----Columbus
3.9----Indianapolis
3.8----San Antonio
3.6----Kansas City
3.0----San Juan
2.7----Milwaukee
2.6----Honolulu
2.6----New Orleans
2.5----Providence
2.5----Hampton Roads/Norfolk
2.5----Jacksonville
2.4----Hartford

https://www.justinobeirne.com/global-city-ranking-model
This isn't terrible but I have a few qualms. For one thing, I live in Raleigh and while I've grown to love the city, and it certainly is on the rise, I can't in good faith place it over the immediate 9 cities below it on the list...

They have Hampton Roads on their list, of which I am a huge Stan for Virginia Beach----->but it is simply not a more significant city within Virginia than Richmond, and it really isn't that close to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hartford is less known than Providence. Culturally I hear about Providence as much as Louisville. Id also say Providence has significantly less crime or blight than those cities.
I don't think either city has much cache outside New England. Even when I lived in New York State I didn't hear about one more than the other. Louisville has more name brand than both but not by much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think the Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, and Seattle grouping is fascinating to watch. It definitely seems to be the most competitive amongst these 6 depending on one's criteria for "importance" or global connectivity.

In particular, I know that some still have an inclination to "write off" Philadelphia for having more post-industrial baggage, but an unprecedented trend emerged in the past year that I don't think even the most ardent Philly boosters would have predicted: the Philly metro is now growing jobs on par with the Sun Belt/Big Tech heavyweights in this grouping.

From the latest BLS numbers (Dec. 2023)
Rank by Year-over-Year Growth in Jobs/Percentage

Dallas: +134,000 (3.2%)

Miami: +91,400 (3.2%)

Philadelphia: +81,100 (2.6%)

Atlanta: +72,00 (2.4%)

Houston: +70,100 (2.1%)

Seattle: +41,200 (1.9%)

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t03.htm

Basically, I think the narrative about Philly definitely has not yet caught up with the reality of its new-found economic resurgence/momentum. And we're in a whole new era of climate change, cost-of-living, infrastructure needs, industry trends, and work/location models. We'll all have to see how these new trends unfold, but I think it's fair to say that it's no longer a foregone conclusion that growth will concentrate in the south and west of the US ad infinitum.
I agree that these 6 cities are hotly contested, and I'll say for me, it's really the trio of Philly, Dallas, Miami the most. Because I just don't see any of these cities ahead of Houston or Atlanta, and ultimately, while I think it's close, i don't quite think Seattle has a strong enough total case over any of them...

So really my quandary is spots 9 thru 11 between those three, and no real big issue over the order. I have a real issue with people jumping Dallas up to Top 5 or ahead of Houston, and let me be clear, like you, I think all 6 cities are close in general. But the same way I feel like Seattle is close but not a strong enough case yet over the rest, I feel like Dallas is close, but not a strong enough case over Houston or Atlanta---->feel the same for Miami and Philadelphia!

And I could never be confused as an Atlanta fan lmao...

Old 02-26-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
…

I agree that these 6 cities are hotly contested, and I'll say for me, it's really the trio of Philly, Dallas, Miami the most. Because I just don't see any of these cities ahead of Houston or Atlanta, and ultimately, while I think it's close, i don't quite think Seattle has a strong enough total case over any of them...

So really my quandary is spots 9 thru 11 between those three, and no real big issue over the order. I have a real issue with people jumping Dallas up to Top 5 or ahead of Houston, and let me be clear, like you, I think all 6 cities are close in general. But the same way I feel like Seattle is close but not a strong enough case yet over the rest, I feel like Dallas is close, but not a strong enough case over Houston or Atlanta---->feel the same for Miami and Philadelphia!

And I could never be confused as an Atlanta fan lmao...

Well analyzed and well said.

Old 02-26-2024, 05:46 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Miami and Philly aren't on the level of DFW and Houston. GDP and Fortune 500 companies put them way ahead.
Boston only gets in because of its Universities and Biotech.
Philly and Miami are next level down; Miami has global name recognition but GDP wise and corporation-wise, its a light weight as is much of Florida.
Move Austin up too, home to Oracle, Whole foods, Tesla, VMware, Dell, with huge operations there for Apple, Samsung, AMD. Tampa, Baltimore, SAC, SA or Charlotte aren't on that level.
Oakland sadly is a disaster and should be down with level VIII. I'd move Nashville up with ATX to join Level IV.
That next group of cities, it's probably a foregone conclusion Austin ends up there within the next 15 years, but I don't think it's there yet. I also can't move Nashville up an entire level, it's major advantage---->and it's a significant one----->over its peers is it's cultural heft. Otherwise there are plenty of cities doing the same things Nashville does well, and doing some "city things" better...

It's just like Vegas honestly, both are clearly rising and will continue to. But it's strength is mainly in its cultural esteem. It's not really killing the quality of life metrics the way many of its peers are, including Nashville...

Also, I think core does matter. DFW metro and Atlanta metros feel vast and similarly sized, but the center city of Dallas feels noticeably smaller and less busy than the center of Atlanta. I don't think this is the biggest criteria but I think it has to matter when you're already playing from a position of fewer strengths, in my opinion...

It would matter less if Dallas had more advantages over Atlanta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
What does core have to do with ranking? Seattle is no where near closing the gap. DFW is 2x its size in population and in terms of Fortune 500 HQ, Seattle has like 6 companies - MSFT, Costco, Amazon, Expedia, Nordstrom, Starbucks. DFW has 24.

Robust public transit, well not compared to Mid-Atlantic, NE, the SF Bay area and Chicago but compared to any other Southern MSA (between DC and LA), the best road system, and will have its 8th rail line by end of 2025 plus two street car lines.

Connectivity - Now DFW can't compete for sea-going commercial business and Sea-Tac has gotten some kudos for its design but DFW is home to the biggest airline in the world, American and the one with the most domestic flights, Southwest. DFW airport is Top 5 busiest in the World and is building its 6th terminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Detroit is above Phoenix followed by San Diego, and Minneapolis. It's either Denver and Phoenix after that as both are still more regional.
You value San Diego over Minneapolis?

Old 02-26-2024, 06:13 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hartford is less known than Providence. Culturally I hear about Providence as much as Louisville. Id also say Providence has significantly less crime or blight than those cities.
Here’s what I’ll say. When the Patriots were trying to extort Massachusetts to pay for a New Stadium, it was Hartford, not Providence that got the shot at the team. When the Whalers left Boston, they moved to Hartford. Not Providence.

Providence is more artsy, it’s got an Ivy so it has cache. But when push comes to shove, Hartford is the 2nd city in New England.

I won’t challenge Providence having a remarkable little blight and crime considering its income profile. It’s a nicer city than Hartford but it’s not more important

People from Springfield or even New Haven go to a Hartford to see bigger acts or touring Broadway productions and such. While Providence that stuff goes to Boston. Hartford has a pull on places not in its metro area and is a center of its own wealth. While Providence is on Bostons periphery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City