Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2024, 01:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
AT&T's mobile network got a huge boost after purchasing Cingular (which was based in Atlanta). AT&T Mobility https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility and Cricket Wireless https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wireless are still based in Atlanta.
Yea, there's been a lot of consolidation which is part of why I think Dallas has done well for itself as I mentioned a similar thing with Charles Schwab and its acquisition of TD Ameritrade after TD Ameritrade had earlier acquired Scottrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas’ dominance in telecom isn’t specific to AT&T though. All major telecom companies and even hardware manufacturers like Ericsson have a major presence there. I didn’t say Dallas is ahead of Houston, I said there are things where Dallas innovates and dominates unlike what’s been said here. But I haven’t mentioned where they would be in my ranking
It's still not overwhelmingly dominant no matter how you slice it. NYC metropolitan area is too strong of a contender due to Verizon (higher revenue than AT&T) and Charter, and these alongside AT&T dwarf everything else in the US save for Comcast in Philadelphia (also about the same revenue as AT&T) and Deutsche Telekomm's US arm based in the Seattle area. Even next biggest fellow Baby Bell descendant Lumen in Monroe, Louisiana is much, much smaller.

I understand you didn't say Dallas was higher or lower ranked than Houston. I'm putting context for why I am putting Houston higher in Dallas and how it falls in line with how Dallas it not overwhelmingly dominant in anything, but does quite well in several categories while also being very populous and wealthy. I think there are few industries or sectors that are massively influential overall and where there is a single metropolitan area that is overwhelmingly dominant, so that's fine. I do think that should be a factor of sorts though and weighing that against the sheer economic and population size.

1. New York City
2. DC - Baltimore
3. San Francisco Bay Area
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Dallas - Fort Worth
8. Boston
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. Seattle
13. Detroit
14. MSP
15. San Diego

Notes on this are I'm tempted to put either DC or the Bay Area on top so the three are somewhat fluid and have very different strengths vis-a-vis NYC so it's hard to decide despite NYC being so much larger and more populous. I also think Miami, Philadelphia, and Seattle have very different strengths and are hard to weigh especially with Miami having a hard to quantify how much soft power pull over a very large and populous but not particularly wealth Latin America, but I do not see an argument for putting any of these above Boston or Atlanta.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-08-2024 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 03:07 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I agree for the most part but I’d swap Atlanta and Houston. Houston’s economy and population is a good bit bigger than Atlanta’s and Houston dominates the US energy sector. Houston is also more internationally oriented than Atlanta and is a bigger hub for international cultures and commerce. I’d place it above Atlanta.

I’d also swap Dallas and Miami. The size and economy difference between the two is too big to ignore despite Miami being the gateway to Latin America.

Dallas also has an argument over Atlanta imo but I could see how some could put Atlanta ahead.
This?

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Dallas
10. Miami or Philadelphia or Seattle? Which one?

Old 03-08-2024, 03:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This?

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Dallas
10. Miami or Philadelphia or Seattle? Which one?
I mostly agree with this, but I would give Houston the nod over Atlanta because of the energy industry. What Atlanta have in its favor is:

A) Capital of Black America.
B) Home to numerous Television Outlets.
C) 2nd largest movie producing city in America.
D) Home to more major Fast Food HQs than any other city.
E) Strong rise in global health due to the CDC, GT and Emory.
F) Critical Logistics Hub.

While I think that's definitely enough for 8th, I'm curious to know why do you place it over Houston?

Old 03-08-2024, 03:33 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What proof is there? The reason 7-Eleven exists because it was originally an ice house that sold ice blocks to people without electric refrigeration. It allowed them to sell limited persishable household commodities because they had a way to keep it from spoiling.

I said corner grocery, not 24-hour convenience store.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:37 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I said corner grocery, not 24-hour convenience store.
“Corner store” is another name for a convenience store. Corner grocery store in what you’re saying is different.

Prolly just a little confusion.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
"Corner store" seems to vary meanings by city and person. In my area it's any corner grocery. Most close in the wee hours. They sell the same junk food and beery that a Quick-e-Mart sells, but also real food to some extent.

The urban variety tends to serve people within a few hundred yards (usually pedestrians), vs. a Quick-e-Mart that serves a mile+ radius and also sells gas, so the former don't have as much reason to stay open all night, unless that few hundreds of yards is extremely dense.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:20 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I mostly agree with this, but I would give Houston the nod over Atlanta because of the energy industry. What Atlanta have in its favor is:

A) Capital of Black America.
B) Home to numerous Television Outlets.
C) 2nd largest movie producing city in America.
D) Home to more major Fast Food HQs than any other city.
E) Strong rise in global health due to the CDC, GT and Emory.
F) Critical Logistics Hub.

While I think that's definitely enough for 8th, I'm curious to know why do you place it over Houston?
These 2 can also be disputed. Houston is the leader in cancer research, has higher ranked medical schools and more life science activities. Atlanta has Emory as you mentioned, but Houston’s Baylor is ranked one spot higher by US news

For logistical hubs both are critical. Atlanta is higher in domestic, Houston is higher in international (port city).

You’re on point from A to C though. And I guess D but it’s less important

Old 03-08-2024, 04:21 PM

356 posts, read 128,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, there's been a lot of consolidation which is part of why I think Dallas has done well for itself as I mentioned a similar thing with Charles Schwab and its acquisition of TD Ameritrade after TD Ameritrade had earlier acquired Scottrade.

It's still not overwhelmingly dominant no matter how you slice it. NYC metropolitan area is too strong of a contender due to Verizon (higher revenue than AT&T) and Charter, and these alongside AT&T dwarf everything else in the US save for Comcast in Philadelphia (also about the same revenue as AT&T) and Deutsche Telekomm's US arm based in the Seattle area. Even next biggest fellow Baby Bell descendant Lumen in Monroe, Louisiana is much, much smaller.

I understand you didn't say Dallas was higher or lower ranked than Houston. I'm putting context for why I am putting Houston higher in Dallas and how it falls in line with how Dallas it not overwhelmingly dominant in anything, but does quite well in several categories while also being very populous and wealthy. I think there are few industries or sectors that are massively influential overall and where there is a single metropolitan area that is overwhelmingly dominant, so that's fine. I do think that should be a factor of sorts though and weighing that against the sheer economic and population size.

1. New York City
2. DC - Baltimore
3. San Francisco Bay Area
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Dallas - Fort Worth
8. Boston
9. Atlanta
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. Seattle
13. Detroit
14. MSP
15. San Diego

Notes on this are I'm tempted to put either DC or the Bay Area on top so the three are somewhat fluid and have very different strengths vis-a-vis NYC so it's hard to decide despite NYC being so much larger and more populous. I also think Miami, Philadelphia, and Seattle have very different strengths and are hard to weigh especially with Miami having a hard to quantify how much soft power pull over a very large and populous but not particularly wealth Latin America, but I do not see an argument for putting any of these above Boston or Atlanta.

Aw man, you had me convinced up until I read that there was temptation to place the Bay Area on top.
I don't think it is fluid at all. I hope I am not misreading your post. What I'm reading is that #1-3 is interchangeable. If so that's where you lost me. The only legit contender is DC in that DC is the capital.

Apart from that New York is dominant over every other city by a good margin. It is probably the #1 or 2 most important city worldwide. London is it's only true rival.

SFBA at best is #3. At worst it is #5

It is even worse when you think of it as the city of NY alone can take on the combined Metros of the Bay and still dominate.

I would resist the temptation to alter the list. It looks spot on to me. I think Philly is being shortchanged a lot on these lists but the competition is fierce for that #10 spot. Philly is like DFW, it does well in a lot of areas but it doesn't really kill it in any key industry. But imo it is more important than Miami. It is top 3 for pharmaceuticals, top 5 for education, you mentioned earlier it was top 3 for telecommunications. That's 3 top 5s already. I really can't think of much Miami is top 5 in, let alone top 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
These 2 can also be disputed. Houston is the leader in cancer research, has higher ranked medical schools and more life science activities. Atlanta has Emory as you mentioned, but Houston’s Baylor is ranked one spot higher by US news

For logistical hubs both are critical. Atlanta is higher in domestic, Houston is higher in international (port city).

You’re on point from A to C though. And I guess D but it’s less important
Not sure how simply housing the CDC and having the 20something best med schools in the country are factors that help Atlanta dominate the HealthCare industry.

The federal government spreads it's medical departments around the country so the CDC alone isn't gonna cut it, and one top 25 med school isn't gonna cut it either. There are cities with 2 top ten med schools so Emory isn't gonna make a place a dominant med player.

The healcare industry is divided as follows:
2024, different healthcare sectors are predicted to earn the following profits:

Provider: $197.8 billion
Pharma: $169.9 billion
Payer: $116.6 billion
Medtech: $72.1 billion
Healthcare IT: $27.9 billion
Distribution and pharmacies: $18.9 billion

I don't think Atlanta is top in any of those, so we can stop listing Health as an industry sector where ATL is top of the pack. In the SE alone Nashville and the Triangle are more dominant than Atlanta

Last edited by KinBueno; 03-08-2024 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2024, 04:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
"Corner store" seems to vary meanings by city and person. In my area it's any corner grocery. Most close in the wee hours. They sell the same junk food and beery that a Quick-e-Mart sells, but also real food to some extent.

The urban variety tends to serve people within a few hundred yards (usually pedestrians), vs. a Quick-e-Mart that serves a mile+ radius and also sells gas, so the former don't have as much reason to stay open all night, unless that few hundreds of yards is extremely dense.
I think 7-11 is interesting in having possibly set new precedents in what the corner store / convenience store does and having done that has made it quite large as a chain and with a fairly large global footprint though the parent company is actually based in Japan now which really ran with the concept and globalized.

I think while that's pretty interesting, I took this topic and ranking to mean current and very near past and near future influence and power rather than historic influence. With that, I think 7-11 as the subsidiary based in the Dallas area right now doesn't lend that much impact or influence.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:24 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Point about 7-Eleven is well taken, but I'd argue that Dallas' other main retail export is just as well known, even if it is experiencing turbulence these days:

Nieman Marcus, the ne plus ultra of luxury department stores.
True. I think Neiman’s is the only luxury department store that can compete with NYC’s. Not even LA or Chicago has an equivalent dept store, that’s internationally known in the fashion world. Some people don’t even know that Neiman’s is from Dallas. They assume the east or west coast or some other legacy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City