Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2024, 09:53 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Corner groceries existed long before 7-11. They commodified an existing concept.

Is retail really a core of influence? Perhaps. I don't typically put that on Seattle's top-few despite Costco, Nordstrom, REI, etc. Online retail (esp. Amazon) and coffee shops (Starbucks) would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 10:40 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
The Clear Top 8
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston

Old 03-08-2024, 10:48 AM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Corner groceries existed long before 7-11. They commodified an existing concept.

Is retail really a core of influence? Perhaps. I don't typically put that on Seattle's top-few despite Costco, Nordstrom, REI, etc. Online retail (esp. Amazon) and coffee shops (Starbucks) would be different.
Yeah I agree. And I’m not saying that Dallas doesn’t innovate or do anything from the ground up. Because I believe it definitely does (and already gave examples above). I’m just saying that the integrated circuit and c store claims are flawed claims

Old 03-08-2024, 10:50 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

What proof is there? The reason 7-Eleven exists because it was originally an ice house that sold ice blocks to people without electric refrigeration. It allowed them to sell limited persishable household commodities because they had a way to keep it from spoiling.

From Bloomberg News

A Brief History of the 24-Hour Convenience Store
Remembering a time when bacon, egg, and cheeses were not available round-the-clock.

Just a snippet of the beginning of the article

Quote:
Imagine, for a moment, a street corner in New York. There might be stray garbage in the gutters, there might be a swarm of tourists, there might be a taxi veering just a bit too close to the curb. And there is a good chance that there’s a store you can walk into, at any hour of day or night, and satisfy a craving for coffee or a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.

Stores open 24 hours are ubiquitous across America. Of the 152,794 shops listed by the National Association of Convenience Stores, 90 percent are round-the-clock operations. New York City alone houses upwards of 1,500 independently-run bodegas; it’s hard to imagine the five boroughs without them.

But there was a time, not too long ago, when city residents had to go from store to store to buy their eggs, ice, and cheap beer. Their midnight cravings were greeted with locked doors and dimmed lights. The convenience store, such as it is today, did not exist.

Jeff Lenard, the vice president of the NACS, credits the Southland Ice Company with the birth of the modern convenience store. In 1927, “Uncle Johnny” Jefferson Green ran the Southland Ice Dock in Oak Cliff, Dallas, where people would come to stock up on foot-long freezing blocks they carted home to refrigerate their food. Unlike the local grocery stores, the Ice Dock was already open 16 hours a day, seven days a week. “So [Green] thought, ‘why not sell milk and bread and eggs, too?’” Lenard says.
Modern Marvels episode from the 2000s on the History Channel. Skip to 14:15

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=w44uP4BpbDU

Old 03-08-2024, 11:16 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas is definitely dominant in telecom. Telecom isn’t what it used to be but it’s still an important industry that Dallas dominates
AT&T is rather dominant in terms of number of people in the US as the largest wireless carrier, but it's a harder argument to say it's dominant in telecoms overall within the US.

I used the descriptions absolutely, and in another post, overwhelmingly dominant which I think also raises the bar somewhat. That's also the argument against some of the other areas and how much of a lead they have like for Boston's higher education and life sciences. Boston does very well in both of these, but it is nowhere near overwhelmingly dominant in them.

Dallas is similar in doing very well in several areas and arguably leads in a couple of them but I would not say it is overwhelmingly dominant in any of them. However, alongside that is also the sheer scale difference that's developed in population size and metropolitan GDP. Houston is somewhat smaller in population size and metropolitan GDP, but Houston does have overwhelming dominance within a crucial and massive sector of the US economy so I think that's the argument to put Houston ahead of the Metroplex overall for what the topics asks.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:57 AM

19 posts, read 6,713 times
The Clear Top 10
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Dallas
7. Houston
8. Boston
9. Miami
10.Atlanta

Old 03-08-2024, 12:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
AT&T is rather dominant in terms of number of people in the US as the largest wireless carrier, but it's a harder argument to say it's dominant in telecoms overall within the US.

I used the descriptions absolutely, and in another post, overwhelmingly dominant which I think also raises the bar somewhat. That's also the argument against some of the other areas and how much of a lead they have like for Boston's higher education and life sciences. Boston does very well in both of these, but it is nowhere near overwhelmingly dominant in them.

Dallas is similar in doing very well in several areas and arguably leads in a couple of them but I would not say it is overwhelmingly dominant in any of them. However, alongside that is also the sheer scale difference that's developed in population size and metropolitan GDP. Houston is somewhat smaller in population size and metropolitan GDP, but Houston does have overwhelming dominance within a crucial and massive sector of the US economy so I think that's the argument to put Houston ahead of the Metroplex overall for what the topics asks.
AT&T's mobile network got a huge boost after purchasing Cingular (which was based in Atlanta). AT&T Mobility https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility and Cricket Wireless https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wireless are still based in Atlanta.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:12 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NURTEC12 View Post
The Clear Top 10
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Dallas
7. Houston
8. Boston
9. Miami
10.Atlanta
This Is The Clear Top 10:
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Miami
10. Dallas/Philadelphia/Seattle

Old 03-08-2024, 12:13 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Dallas’ dominance in telecom isn’t specific to AT&T though. All major telecom companies and even hardware manufacturers like Ericsson have a major presence there. I didn’t say Dallas is ahead of Houston, I said there are things where Dallas innovates and dominates unlike what’s been said here. But I haven’t mentioned where they would be in my ranking

Old 03-08-2024, 12:50 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This Is The Clear Top 10:
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Miami
10. Dallas/Philadelphia/Seattle
I agree for the most part but I’d swap Atlanta and Houston. Houston’s economy and population is a good bit bigger than Atlanta’s and Houston dominates the US energy sector. Houston is also more internationally oriented than Atlanta and is a bigger hub for international cultures and commerce. I’d place it above Atlanta.

I’d also swap Dallas and Miami. The size and economy difference between the two is too big to ignore despite Miami being the gateway to Latin America.

Dallas also has an argument over Atlanta imo but I could see how some could put Atlanta ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City