Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 02:16 AM

6,400 posts, read 5,039,755 times

Advertisements

Anything but Miami since you've already been there a bunch. I'd personally do Cleveland, maybe do like a week each in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester and make it an eastern Great Lakes trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 07:55 AM

2,567 posts, read 3,636,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Maybe you misread it, but I overwhelmingly supported Chicago over Cleveland.
Nah, I like Cleveland always pull for it. Cleveland punches above its weight and takes a lot of grief for which it does not deserve. The University Circle area is a gem. People should not overlook Cleveland.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:57 AM

1,896 posts, read 1,452,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Nah, I like Cleveland always pull for it. Cleveland punches above its weight and takes a lot of grief for which it does not deserve. The University Circle area is a gem. People should not overlook Cleveland.
Well, us Clevelanders can thank some current Clevelanders, Cleveland expats, national media, social media, stand-up comics and Joakim Noah for the grief that Cleveland gets . Seriously, I enjoy University Circle; it has come a long way since I grew up. I think a lot of people overlook Cleveland because of the Rust Belt reputation (still strongly dislike that term), and a lot of people think that the Rust Belt is rusty. So, a lot of people don't see it as glamourous.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-04-2024 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-04-2024, 09:12 AM

2,833 posts, read 2,298,972 times
Chicago seems like the obvious choice for summer. It's arguably the best summer city in the country with the lakefront, the festivals, all the walkable neighborhoods. Plus, it isn't that far from Cleveland. You could do a long weekend from Chicago.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 3,956,611 times
Is anyone ever going to vote for Cleveland here? Lol

Old 05-04-2024, 10:09 AM

17,297 posts, read 15,498,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Is anyone ever going to vote for Cleveland here? Lol
Yes. And why not? It’s a wonderful place.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
'Wonderful' is a little strong. I'm not anti-Cleveland, but as a destination for a six week summertime vacation and against relatively strong competition...not even TheProf could bring himself to vote for his beloved hometown

ETA that I see TimidBlueBars voted for Cleveland, but he's from the Chicago area and is likely favoring a spot with which he's not so familiar, making it more of a 'what I would do' versus 'what you should do'

Old 05-04-2024, 01:07 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,498,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Cleveland has a lot of "pros" to it as a city, but also many many "cons."

Pros are the NFL, NBA, MLB teams. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Some good inner city gentrification. Decent industry. Some nice suburbs.

Cons are high crime, not so great economy, declining inner city neighborhoods, pollution, less than ideal winters, declining area population, etc.

All places have both pros and cons, I get that.

But Cleveland's "cons" tend to outweigh its "pros" in many areas. Thus, saying it is "wonderful" is your opinion and is
subjective, of course. But, I would say that people calling Cleveland "wonderful" is an uncommon sentiment shared about the city, overall.

But if someone has not visited, I'd encourage them to at least one time.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Cleveland has a lot of "pros" to it as a city, but also many many "cons."

Pros are the NFL, NBA, MLB teams. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Some good inner city gentrification. Decent industry. Some nice suburbs.

Cons are high crime, not so great economy, declining inner city neighborhoods, pollution, less than ideal winters, declining area population, etc.

All places have both pros and cons, I get that.

But Cleveland's "cons" tend to outweigh its "pros" in many areas. Thus, saying it is "wonderful" is your opinion and is
subjective, of course. But, I would say that people calling Cleveland "wonderful" is an uncommon sentiment shared about the city, overall.

But if someone has not visited, I'd encourage them to at least one time.
I remember, as a kid, driving with my family from the RnR HOF to our hotel in Shaker Heights while taking 'the scenic route', ie, we avoided the expressway. I'd invite anyone who considers Cleveland a wonderful place to take that same drive. It's not a short drive, and it's basically uninterrupted blight until you cross a bridge and suddenly you're in relatively upscale suburbia. If things along that route have changed in the last 25 years, then I apologize for the outdated description. But most if not all of that route seemed 'beyond gentrifying'...you'd basically be building on urban prairie, starting from scratch. Not that I thought in terms of gentrification or urban prairie at age 13, but

Old 05-04-2024, 01:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,127,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
'..not even TheProf could bring himself to vote for his beloved hometown
Certainly not over Chicago in the Summertime. Miami? Yes, I vote for Cleveland. (winter? Miami, all the way. I've grown to detest winter as I get older)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City