Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 04:31 PM

17,434 posts, read 15,564,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not all Florida, let alone all Miami/Miami Beach, is getting upper 90’s this entire week or the next 6 months, but I already voted for Chicago:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...ab5f2fac44ee69
Yeah I know Miami (specifically the coastal parts) aren't getting upper 90s, but as you also indicated upthread, summers (6 months) in any part of Florida, even in Miami, can be quite uncomfortable. If the entire city had a clothing-optional ordinance, I could see it being more appealing, but then that would open a whole different can of worms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 04:36 PM

7,440 posts, read 6,604,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah I know Miami (specifically the coastal parts) aren't getting upper 90s, but as you also indicated upthread, summers (6 months) in any part of Florida, even in Miami, can be quite uncomfortable. If the entire city had a clothing-optional ordinance, I could see it being more appealing, but then that would open a whole different can of worms...
Miami has added a clothing optional cruise !

https://people.com/nude-cruise-set-t...n-2025-8642862

Old 05-06-2024, 10:27 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,352,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Meanwhile here in Florida we are getting UPPER 90s with high humidity throughout this week. And this is what we will be getting for the next 6 months. Yay.
What people forget about in Tucson is that there is generally a 30 degree difference in the summer between the high temperature and the low temperature at night. So if the high does reach 105 in the afternoon, the temperature by 10 pm will be in the low 70s. We often keep our doors and windows open at night to allow a cool breeze and use wooden blinds to block the Easter exposure in the AM.

We have humidiity about three months a year when if goes from 15% to 50%. During that period, yes, we get hit with mosquitoes and other bugs. When I was replacing the screens in February a few years ago. we had the windows and doors open without screens. The ONLY thing that flew in the house was a confused hummingbird.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:31 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,352,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I like Cleveland. But I stand by my post. It is still fairly disinvested in the neighborhoods. If you expect urban neighborhoods like Fells Point in Baltimore, Central West End in St Louis, Oakland or East Liberty in Pittsburgh you will probably come away a little disappointed. Cleveland neighborhoods just aren't as dense or vibrant. It has some infill apartment buildings and a few small commercial areas, but it doesn't have the intact historic urban core areas with dense residential areas or large commercial strips.

I'm just trying to be realistic for the OP. Cleveland is a cool city, but you have to set your expectations appropriately.

You are absolutely right. Cleveland is certainly less exciting than St. Louis. I managed to live there five years and did not have my car broken into, my house burglarized three times or have a crack house on my street like I had in the Tower Grove neighborhood.

And the one time that I accidentally set off my alarm, the police arrived in two minutes with their guns drawn. The St. Louis cops would have shown up a couple hours later.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:45 AM

37,284 posts, read 39,605,795 times
This gives a tour of a bit of Chicago's beaches (this is early in June of last year so not yet peak beach season):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsIaa310Xk

There are a lot of beaches all along the waterfront which is almost completely publicly accessible, and each of these beaches have different kinds of scenes so you can pick among those you're interested in. Summers in Chicago are really fantastic.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:51 AM

14,054 posts, read 15,090,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You are absolutely right. Cleveland is certainly less exciting than St. Louis. I managed to live there five years and did not have my car broken into, my house burglarized three times or have a crack house on my street like I had in the Tower Grove neighborhood.

And the one time that I accidentally set off my alarm, the police arrived in two minutes with their guns drawn. The St. Louis cops would have shown up a couple hours later.
While the quality of the cities can be debated. Cleveland is largely streetcar suburban while Pittsburgh and St Louis have larger cores pre-streetcar and thus walking rather than transit oriented.

Although St Louis is so depopulated that it isn’t a huge functional gap mostly an aesthetic one.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:51 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,408,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Chicago>Miami>Cleveland>Tucson
I'd personally save visiting Miami or Tucson, for winter IMO. And that the other 2 would be better to do in summer. I'd lean Chicago > Cleveland > Tucson > Miami, though one's city preferences could easily lean slightly different on this.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM

557 posts, read 275,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Love this city.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:41 AM

17,434 posts, read 15,564,986 times
When I visited Chicago at the end of October last year (2023) I was quite disappointed by how quiet it was. I had made it a point to go downtown one evening to check out the sights and sounds, and the only spot that showed any sort of life and vibrancy was the Ogilvie train Station.

For reference, I walked down Van Buren to Michigan then up, strolled through Riverwalk a bit, then back up on Michigan to check out Magnificent Mile, then went to Navy Pier to catch some picturesque views of the skyline, and get blown around by the infamous winds from the lake. I got to Ogilvie around 8PM on a Thursday night.

I wasn't expecting NYC levels of vibrancy, but at least comparable to Toronto and Montreal. It wasn't close at all.

Did I miss something? Surely it was just a fluke night/week?

Old 05-08-2024, 06:14 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,309,190 times
Chicago is more spread out than Toronto or Montreal where there neighborhoods more closely bleed into surrounding neighborhoods. At night the Loop, Navy Pier and Mag Mile is pretty quiet. The activity moves to West Loop, River North around Hubbard and to some extent the Gold Coast around Rush/Division. But really much of the activity shifts to the neighborhoods: Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park where there are a lot more restaurants and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City