Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM

179 posts, read 199,506 times

Advertisements

It seems clearly better than Chicago (at least from my experiences) in terms of number of things to do, weather, and proximity to other interesting places. Houston is near Galveston, a short car/train ride (in the future) from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas. Chicago is the only big town for 1000s of miles. The entire cultural life of Chicago seems to consist of getting drunk on cold nights. Houston offers lots of museums, arts, etc., in addition to more clubs/bars than you could ever want. Why doesn't it get more love?

Also "natural beauty" isn't the reason - Chicago is cold and bleak most of the year and is just as flat as Houston. Houston is lush and green year-round.

I would put the U.S. cities like this:

L.A. > NY > SF> Houston > Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
I agree with you as well, Houston is under-rated its a diamond in the ruff city.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
I don't know if I agree with your rankings, but that's your opinion.

The problem is that Houston doesn't have much of a media image, and when it does get mentioned, it's usually something neutral or completely negative. In any case, I think the poor image stems from limited experience with Houston. I don't know if you can really blame some of the people, because it's not really a tourist destination, but it's putting itself in more of a position to come one with a better public transportation system. It is definitely one of those cities where you can visit for a week and still not know very well...some of us have lived here our whole lives and find new things every day!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
I've been saying it's underrated for a long time.

You wouldn't believe some of the comments I got from Austinites just prior to moving from there to Houston. To this day I still get plenty of it.

It's not just that it's underrated, but totally misunderstood. All of the negative is exaggerated (or even made up) and much of the positive is unknown to outsiders.

Why? Thank politics (Al Gore circa 2000), the media (you'd think there's a terrible hurricane hitting town right now if you weren't here), the city failing to put out enough good PR (not much money spent on this compared to other cities), inexperience by outsiders, Texas stereotypes, ugly freeways that quick visitors though town have to look out (while missing everything else), and ignorance.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
My wife and I travel to Chicago every other year when we go the USC/ND game, I must say Chicago has one of the most impressive downtown scenery I've ever seen.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
i bet Houston will be on top of a list once you sum up all its average points and size/capacity/sqftage plus points. This list would probably be called 'Practically THE Best Cities" but THAT is worlds different from list 'the Best Cities'.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

179 posts, read 199,506 times
Downtown scenery is great - but that's the "old school" city model. Sure, Chicago's architecture is of historical importance etc. but that's just not how cities develop anymore (or ever really outside the U.S.). Look at SD, Phoenix, LA, Houston, etc. And just because a downtown looks neat doesn't make it a great city (although Chicago is great - I just think Houston is better).

I agree with the image problem mentioned above. It's funny how people think it's some conservative city though - Kerry took the city in '04, and even Harris County might go Dem. Our mayor is much better qualified and has a more prestigious resume than any other big city mayor, other than Bloomberg. It is an extremely tolerant and liberal city from what I've seen. Not to mention insanely diverse, something I don't see in Chicago as much. Walking along Westheimer or the Galleria it seems like whites were maybe 30%, with lots of asians, indians, africans, latinos, and a nice sprinkling of Europeans.

I also agree about the Austin thing. Austin is a great town but people there tend to snub their nose at other cities. I've even heard friends from Austin bashing California for being too polluted and crowded.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
The
Quote:
entire cultural life of Chicago seems to consist of getting drunk on cold nights.
Have you been to Chicago?!
Yes Houston is a nice city. I have been trying to move there. I currently live in suburban Chicago.
YES Houston is under-rated. BUT depending on what you like to do and lifestyle, Houston may be better; Chicago may be better. To paint a broad brush stroke like you did about Chicago is inaccurate. It is PLENTY green and lush in Chicago right now. There are MANY things to do beyond a pub crawl. There are MANY interesting cities within 350 miles: Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Des Moines, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland and more. Yes Chicago winters suck, but many on this board feel the same way about Houston summers. Please continue saying nice things about Houston, it is deserved, but don't trash my "hometown" without more accurate facts to back up your opinions-please. OK, I feel better now and am no longer "verklempt". Please continue with the praise for Houston.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The
Have you been to Chicago?!
Yes Houston is a nice city. I have been trying to move there. I currently live in suburban Chicago.
YES Houston is under-rated. BUT depending on what you like to do and lifestyle, Houston may be better; Chicago may be better. To paint a broad brush stroke like you did about Chicago is inaccurate. It is PLENTY green and lush in Chicago right now. There are MANY things to do beyond a pub crawl. There are MANY interesting cities within 350 miles: Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Des Moines, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland and more. Yes Chicago winters suck, but many on this board feel the same way about Houston summers. Please continue saying nice things about Houston, it is deserved, but don't trash my "hometown" without more accurate facts to back up your opinions-please. OK, I feel better now and am no longer "verklempt". Please continue with the praise for Houston.
I wouldn't say he trashed Chicago. It just seems to be the city compared with. Both cities have great things to offer. I have never experienced a winter in Chicago, but heard it can be brutal and make the outdoors impossible. Perhaps I am wrong. There is nothing weatherwise in Houston that a swimming pool and margarita won't fix. I do wish we had Chicago style pizza in Houston however!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
You know, there is some validity to the getting drunk in Chicago statement. Those guys can throw back some alcohol!!! I guess being away from the SW border there aren't many other options to ease the pain. But anyway as far as ''diversity'' goes I found it to be fairly equal to Houston during my stay there. And summertime is downright chilly there at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City