Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 59,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Ummm...everyone knows it's not. It admits it's not. Dude, you need to probably spend less time typing up responses and trying desperately to be right and more time learning things. You can try to break down the math all you want, but if the numbers you're starting with aren't correct, there's really no point.

Do you know how Emporis gets their numbers, for example? How the building data gets delivered to them? Emporis admits it's not the entirety of discussion, and its strength come from places where English-speakers are skyscraper enthusiasts- that's not China (or Seoul). Do some homework, man.
.....and you are more knowledgeable when it comes to buildings than Emporis.

ha ha haaaaaaa.....not.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 PM

21 posts, read 59,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Bad photo of Shanghai. It used to be that ugly, but not anymore joshk1

This is its real skyline

Its still forming, and getting better and better complete on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Well, it looks a little better in that photograph with the new buildings

But I must say, that building with the hole at the top looks stunning!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
^^ I think JoshK is dementor.

Notice how dementor hasn't posted on this forum today but JoshK has repeatedly posted nonsense?

See how they both can't make logical arguments?

It was time for a new profile to troll with. I'm sure as soon as I post this dementor will magically reappear and defend himself.

So sad

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk1 View Post
.....and you are more knowledgeable when it comes to buildings than Emporis.

ha ha haaaaaaa.....not.

Lots of people are. It's common knowledge. You don't believe your own eyes? I posted that picture- find an aerial shot from approx. the same height of New York and it will be easy to see. Why are you being so hardheaded?

I wouldn't be surprised, Gtownoe, but then again I can imagine that a metro of 20 million is going to have more than a couple guys like dementor/eurous/joshk.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
I must have missed the Shanghai district in Chicago. Is it closer to WI?

All I can say is OMFG LMFAO at you Chicago people creating a diverson from the reality of how your city stacks up against America's "big dog".

"Ignore the man behind the curtain and look at the shining spinning thing on the ground". lol

Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,094 times
Um, the point is larger doesn't equal better. It's not too hard to follow is it? Unless you think Shanghai has a greater skyline than NY, and I know no NYer in this forum could possibly admit any city is better than NY in any way.

If Shanghai isn't better than NY just because it's bigger, than NY isn't better than Chicago just because it's bigger. Get it?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Notice how dementor hasn't posted on this forum today but JoshK has repeatedly posted nonsense?

It was time for a new profile to troll with. I'm sure as soon as I post this dementor will magically reappear and defend himself.

So sad
Like everyone who notices that Chicago is a cultural wasteland and there is no single national cultural event in this pathetic city must be a troll

The way I see it you are a perfect example of a troll as you never back your arguments with any data.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, Gtownoe, but then again I can imagine that a metro of 20 million is going to have more than a couple guys like dementor/eurous/joshk.
And there is good reason why many people consider Chicagoland flyover country...

The best part of this thread was about fitting Chicago's downtown into Central Park. It shows you the scale.

Last edited by dementor; 03-04-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

So sad
And we have a winner!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk1 View Post
But there really aren't many buildings in Seoul so there is no comparison.

# of high rises:

New York City: 5,754

Seoul: 205

And for comparison, Chicago:
Chicago: 1,100

The previous poster was basically saying there are far less buildings in Chicago than there are in NYC, which is true. No other city has as many buildings as NYC.
UGH.THE NUMBER OF BUILDINGS MEANS NOTHING!!!! It's all about the size of the region and the amount of jobs. NYC metro has over 20 million while Chicago is 10 million. Chicago isn't going to have anywhere NEAR the amount because its half the size...there's no demand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.