Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A or Houston??
L.A 32 61.54%
Houston 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
No I'm not offended. I just don't see why the Houstonians are so obsessed with overtaking LA in literally every category. Houstonians put way more thought into this than anyone in LA.
It's not an obsession. But I have heard people who've been there comment about how some things are similar between both cities. I've seen certain photos of landscapes of LA, taken at certain angles, not paying attention and thought it was Houston. Honest. It does seem that people get offended when Houston is favorably compared to LA and other BIG/GER cities. But you say you're not offended, so i will take your word.

Quote:
Houston will never be like LA and LA will never be like Houston plain and simple. So they have similar multiple downtowns. The end.
that's one of the biggest misconceptions of Houston. It's not trying to be like any other cities. Having similarities isn't tantamount to "trying to be like such-'n-such".

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But LA wasn't always like this. That's all people from Houston are saying. We are what LA was 50 years ago, development wise. No one from Houston is saying it should be like LA.
exactly, Trae.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM

118 posts, read 210,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Catching up to what?

Economy? Most in LA don't really care if Houston's economy overtakes it. Angelinos rarely talk about Houston.

I will concede that Houston has a much lower cost of living and doing business. This makes it more friendly to the middle aged and above. Yet I still see many Houstonians in their 20s and early 30s (my age bracket) relocating to LA. Far more than I've seen go to Houston.
I do see many young professionals relocating to bigger cities like NYC, L.A, Chicago & San Fran. Most of Houston population growth are from medium size families moving here so they can have more for their kids. Lower cost of living, per capital income same as L.A, and no state income tax. Low home price offset high property tax.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

118 posts, read 210,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
LOLOL!!! This is the same kind of craziness you'd see in Houston. I love it. I love the mix of gritty (ugly to some) runover looking streets. I also love the glossy, pristine look of Houston's skyline.

I've always been fascinated by LA simply from the photos over the years. I've never been there. Honestly, from some of the shots I've seen on this website, sometimes I can't tell the difference between the two cities.
True, Houston inner loop look similar to L.A except it only cover 90 square miles and flat. There are movies filmed in Houston that are set in L.A. Check out The Chase with Charlie Sheen. That was filmed in the Rice Village, River Oaks shopping district on West Grey and museum district. They even used the Beltway 8 toll both as Mexico border crossing.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
True, Houston inner loop look similar to L.A except it only cover 90 square miles and flat. There are movies filmed in Houston that are set in L.A. Check out The Chase with Charlie Sheen. That was filmed in the Rice Village, River Oaks shopping district on West Grey and museum district. They even used the Beltway 8 toll both as Mexico border crossing.
I did not know that. I thought everything in that movie was all California.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM

491 posts, read 886,570 times
Oh boy. This entire thread is just filled with comedy and tragedy. Lots of misguided b.s. from both sides of this "debate".

I've lived in both cities for considerable amounts of time, so here's my two cents (and we're talking about skylines here, not weather, traffic, nightlife, economies, cost of living, or anything else other than just SKYLINES):

They almost look the same to me. That's right. L.A. is obviously a much larger city than Houston, with a lot more satellite "clusters" of buildings in areas like Century City etc., but basically the 2 cities are laid out the same way. Small, dense downtowns surrounded by vast sprawling residential areas and vast networks of freeways. Both cities have primarily modern skyscrapers dominating their skylines. L.A. gets big points for having a MUCH more attractive city hall than Houston. Houston gets big points for having the Esperson Building (one of the most beautiful examples of neo-gothic architecture I've seen in a city skyline). L.A. has much more in the way of Art-Deco architecture, but it's barely visible when looking at the skyline as a whole due to the fact that these buildings rarely exceed 15 stories. Houston's taller buildings are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than L.A.'s taller buildings in my opinion. So in summary I would say that it's a very close tie, with Houston possibly having a slight edge due to the fact that L.A.'s more attractive buildings are only really visible when seen up close.

As for the rest of the irrelevant comparisons between the 2 cities, you've got traffic, smog, gangs, and suburban sprawl. All similarities end there.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 06-24-2011 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: grammatical errors

Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM

82 posts, read 140,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
I would pick Houston without a doubt.

Economy goes hand down to Houston.
Weather also hands down. I hear LA has lots of smog.
Skyline is kinda of a toss up. Houston has the better bigger building but they cannot compare to the crapload of smaller buildings LA has.
Cost of living is also alot better in Houston.

Weather is not hands down to Houston, maybe if you enjoy sweating profusely. LA has some of the best weather in the U.S.... Houston is waaaayyyy too humid... oppressively humid. LA is usually mid 80's in the summer and very temperate the rest of the year with little variance between seasons. You can wear shorts year round in LA.
Both cities have terrible smog issues.

Also, someone quoted the food was better in Houston... Please. That's if you count fried food as being better than Houston by a long shot.

As far as the skyline goes... I actually like the individual buildings in Houston better than LA's (other than US Bank Tower), but to me they are very equal and almost resemble each other is a funny way

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 438,253 times
I would agree that the dowtown areas of Los Angeles and Houston don't appear to be that disimilar when looking at them from afar, but once you are in them you realize that downtown LA has gone thru more phases of development than Houston's, I am reffering that the LA cluster is richer in architecture from the 1920's to 1950's than downtown Houston as well as more dense, but yeah, these two would resemble each other more than to either Chicago or New York for sure.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
Weather is not hands down to Houston, maybe if you enjoy sweating profusely. LA has some of the best weather in the U.S.... Houston is waaaayyyy too humid... oppressively humid. LA is usually mid 80's in the summer and very temperate the rest of the year with little variance between seasons. You can wear shorts year round in LA.
Both cities have terrible smog issues.

Also, someone quoted the food was better in Houston... Please. That's if you count fried food as being better than Houston by a long shot.

As far as the skyline goes... I actually like the individual buildings in Houston better than LA's (other than US Bank Tower), but to me they are very equal and almost resemble each other is a funny way
Honestly if you think fried food is the only thing Houston can offer, then that is ignorance. It is one of the best food cities in the nation

Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Can't forget about Cajun food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City