Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Not it was culture. Richmond being a Southern city.
I've already shown that the capital of the Confederacy being moved to Richmond was more strategic/political than anything. Culture had nothing to do with it, especially since Virginia wasn't even one of the original states to secede. If culture was the determining factor, no doubt the capital would have been Charleston.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've already shown that the capital of the Confederacy being moved to Richmond was more strategic/political than anything. Culture had nothing to do with it, especially since Virginia wasn't even one of the original states to secede. If culture was the determining factor, no doubt the capital would have been Charleston.
Yes, but can we agree that the Capital of the Confederacy should be a Southern city?

Otherwise, they mine as well put it in Buffalo.

BTW, Virginia secceded before North Carolina o Tennessee or Arkansas.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Careful, now. You are actually MAKING SENSE!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
Springfield? Mo?
Do they have statues of Confederate heroes on a tree lined street full of dogwoods and Magnolias?

Do they have kudzu covering the local graves in the cemetary?

Do they have people with that rich Tidewater drawl, and writers such as Tom Wolfe and Ellen Glasgow and Douglas Southall Freeman?

When they do, you just let me know.
Yes, they actually have monuments for Conferate soldiers. And they also have a monument for the women of the Confederacy.

There are parts of Southern MO that have Kudzu, im not sure if Springfield does, but i'm sure there are places close by that do.

Here's a pic of a Magnolia tree in Springfield:
Picasa Web Albums - Bruce - Oregon Trail ...

A Tidewater Drawl does not make a place more Southern. Most of the South does not have that accent, besides African Americans.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Yes, but can we agree that the Capital of the Confederacy should be a Southern city?
Of course.

Quote:
BTW, Virginia secceded before North Carolina o Tennessee or Arkansas.
But not before South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yes, they actually have monuments for Conferate soldiers. And they also have a monument for the women of the Confederacy.

There are parts of Southern MO that have Kudzu, im not sure if Springfield does, but i'm sure there are places close by that do.

Here's a pic of a Magnolia tree in Springfield:
Picasa Web Albums - Bruce - Oregon Trail ...

A Tidewater Drawl does not make a place more Southern. Most of the South does not have that accent, besides African Americans.
Well then I guess there's really nothing Southern about the South. Since Richmond possesses at least half of what I use to qualify a place as Southern.

Richmond is much nicer looking than Springfield

Besides, where are the Southern writers ? Ellen Glasgow, Tom Wolfe, Doughlas Southall Freeman, and even Edgar Allen Poe (born in the North, but raised in Richmond), are all considered distinctly Southern authors.

Not to mention the James River Plantations, (the earliest southern plantations in existance), and just the vibe of Richmond that is much more like the Old South than most cities in the South today.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Probably the reason why you say this is because Atlanta is bigger, more stable, growing faster, and attracts a more diverse crowd. In other words, Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than Richmond. Or we can simply just say. Atlanta is Atlanta.
That would be like calling a spade a spade...or perhaps a Spade a Spade.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM

I missed Akhenaton06's post on why Richmond was chosen as the capital of the Confederacy, so I apologize if I'm repeating stuff already said, but Richmond as the Confederate capital city is a good example of what in political geography is called a "forward capital". Basically, a forward capital is a city chosen as the capital because it is in a key location strategically or demographically (culturally). Richmond was chosen as the capital not because it was quintessentially Southern (though it was a "Southern" city), but because during the Civil War the Confederacy wanted to protect and preserve itself and assert its independence. If the capital city were located further south, as it originally was in Montgomery, the Union probably would have had an easier time taking control of the northern part of the Confederacy and the new country would have fallen apart much more quickly.

Ironically, Washington itself was a forward capital, for reasons related to why Richmond was chosen the Confederate capital (primarily as a mid-point in the early 1800's between the north and south and lessen the concerns of southerners about having the capital further north). Washington isn't the only North American forward capital city; Ottawa, located at the border of Anglophone Canada and Francophone Canada and the uneasy alliance between Quebec and the rest of the country (especially Ontario), is also a forward capital city.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I missed Akhenaton06's post on why Richmond was chosen as the capital of the Confederacy, so I apologize if I'm repeating stuff already said, but Richmond as the Confederate capital city is a good example of what in political geography is called a "forward capital". Basically, a forward capital is a city chosen as the capital because it is in a key location strategically or demographically (culturally). Richmond was chosen as the capital not because it was quintessentially Southern (though it was a "Southern" city), but because during the Civil War the Confederacy wanted to protect and preserve itself and assert its independence. If the capital city were located further south, as it originally was in Montgomery, the Union probably would have had an easier time taking control of the northern part of the Confederacy and the new country would have fallen apart much more quickly.

Ironically, Washington itself was a forward capital, for reasons related to why Richmond was chosen the Confederate capital (primarily as a mid-point in the early 1800's between the north and south and lessen the concerns of southerners about having the capital further north). Washington isn't the only North American forward capital city; Ottawa, located at the border of Anglophone Canada and Francophone Canada and the uneasy alliance between Quebec and the rest of the country (especially Ontario), is also a forward capital city.
There was also a proposal to move the Northern Capital further North as well. There were many Southern sympathizers in the DC Area. And across the river in Northern Virginia, was considered the true demarcation of the Southern cultural divide.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM

I doubt the U.S. would have moved the capital from Washington during the Civil War, unless it was under severe threat to be captured. The need to have the U.S. capital city near the Confederate border was exactly the same need the Confederacy had for having their capital near the U.S. border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City