Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Coast city with the most East Coast influence
Seattle 19 10.22%
Portland, OR 7 3.76%
Oakland 9 4.84%
San Francisco 118 63.44%
Los Angeles 16 8.60%
San Diego 0 0%
Other 2 1.08%
Not Sure 15 8.06%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd;13188157[B
]SFO[/b],I agree,has that intellectual thing like boston,and in fact,only derives it's east coast influence from boston,if we are to say that there is an east coast influence,at all. Meaning...sfo is not like phl,nyc,DC,etc...I would only say SFO and boston share a few parallels...otherwise,west coast is not east coast,and visa versa. SFO also is a city on the bay,like boston. the similarities kinda end there. And,whoever mentioned jewish and LA vs. sfo,i totally agree! I couldn't even find a decent bagel to save my life in the time i lived in sfo....lol Okay,I finally found a place on geary that did a decent job...but,noah's bagels? PULEEZ.
Just to let you know SFO is an airport. Bay Area residents never call the city that. If you say SFO people are going to think you are talking about San Francisco's airport, which by the way isn't even in San Francisco but in unincorporated San Mateo country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
Sf

Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Is this a trick question since so many Westerners have such disdain for the East Coast?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
San Francisco. It has that east coast lifestyle in terms of pedestrian activity and walking and public transit and dense urban living.

Although I will say that everyone living in west LA is a transplant from either Canada or NYC.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
San Francisco. It has that east coast lifestyle in terms of pedestrian activity and walking and public transit and dense urban living.
Something else worth noting is that it's the only city on the West Coast where you see people jaywalking (which is a very "east coast" thing, in the context of the United States). It really is something unique to the city of San Francisco though, because when you go to any other city in the Bay Area, pedestrians fall back into that West Coast habit of watching walk/don't walk signs like traffic signals, whether there are cars coming their way or not.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Something else worth noting is that it's the only city on the West Coast where you see people jaywalking (which is a very "east coast" thing, in the context of the United States). It really is something unique to the city of San Francisco though, because when you go to any other city in the Bay Area, pedestrians fall back into that West Coast habit of watching walk/don't walk signs like traffic signals, whether there are cars coming their way or not.
I know what you mean, a lot of people Jaywalk in SF, but people Jaywalk in every city/town in America. Probaly the world, it isn't unique to anywhere.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I know what you mean, a lot of people Jaywalk in SF, but people Jaywalk in every city/town in America. Probaly the world, it isn't unique to anywhere.
I guess what I meant was, people jaywalk in SF and don't worry about getting a ticket. That's not the case in LA, San Diego, Seattle, and [apparently] Portland, where they won't hesitate to ticket you for crossing an intersection against the signal. In other words, if you start crossing the street after the flashing hand/don't walk sign comes on, the cops will come after you. They'll also ticket you for not crossing in a crosswalk...regardless of whether or not there's traffic on the road. They're really into that in LA, not so much in SF.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I guess what I meant was, people jaywalk in SF and don't worry about getting a ticket. That's not the case in LA, San Diego, Seattle, and [apparently] Portland, where they won't hesitate to ticket you for crossing an intersection against the signal. In other words, if you start crossing the street after the flashing hand/don't walk sign comes on, the cops will come after you. They'll also ticket you for not crossing in a crosswalk...regardless of whether or not there's traffic on the road. They're really into that in LA, not so much in SF.
Actually, I think you would be suprised by how many people get arrested and sent to jail for jaywalking. Cops in SF regulary stop jaywalkers (usually druggies/minorities) for just cause in searching them. I actually know people who have gone to jail, just for jaywalking.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 PM

74 posts, read 233,064 times
San Francisco is not at all like NY. SAN FRAN is just any other west coast city except all the buildings are smashed together. My mom visited the Bay once, and San Francisco almost looks nasty because of the bright colorscheme of the houses. And some of the housing in San Fran are no taller or more urban than houses elsewhere, its just the fact that they are on the hills and stuck together that gives it a look. The brown brick apartments buildings on from 75th to 78th & Kingston Ave in Chicago where I used to live, looks way better than the housing in San Fran. Just because you're dense doesnt make you "East". All of those white, purple, and lime green houses are not East Coast style. San Fran isnt even like Chicago let alone anything on the East. You dont see white and green lime buildings in Chicago.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Actually, I think you would be suprised by how many people get arrested and sent to jail for jaywalking. Cops in SF regulary stop jaywalkers (usually druggies/minorities) for just cause in searching them. I actually know people who have gone to jail, just for jaywalking.
I think it's just the luck of the draw, and it comes down to the individual cop you're dealing with (you probably are more likely to get stopped if you're a minority though, unfortunately). I myself have jaywalked in SF in plain view of police a few times that i can remember, and i've witnessed others do the same, and the cops didn't even blink an eye, they just kept minding their own business.

I have a friend who was threatened with jail time by a douche cop in SJ though, for jaywalking on an empty street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City