Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Coast city with the most East Coast influence
Seattle 19 10.22%
Portland, OR 7 3.76%
Oakland 9 4.84%
San Francisco 118 63.44%
Los Angeles 16 8.60%
San Diego 0 0%
Other 2 1.08%
Not Sure 15 8.06%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,683,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
San Francisco is not at all like NY. SAN FRAN is just any other west coast city except all the buildings are smashed together. My mom visited the Bay once, and San Francisco almost looks nasty because of the bright colorscheme of the houses. And some of the housing in San Fran are no taller or more urban than houses elsewhere, its just the fact that they are on the hills and stuck together that gives it a look. The brown brick apartments buildings on from 75th to 78th & Kingston Ave in Chicago where I used to live, looks way better than the housing in San Fran. Just because you're dense doesnt make you "East". All of those white, purple, and lime green houses are not East Coast style. San Fran isnt even like Chicago let alone anything on the East. You dont see white and green lime buildings in Chicago.
You should definitely base you're opinion on what you're mom thinks
And as far as the housing,you are actually wrong,go out more,lot's of east coast cities have colored housing and that's not even what makes up the majority of the SF housing stock Kids these days..
We do have things like that that make us completely and uniquely SF,but if you can't see how SF is relate-able to the NE (and please don't try and compare it to the Midwest) you're blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
San Francisco is not at all like NY. SAN FRAN is just any other west coast city except all the buildings are smashed together. My mom visited the Bay once, and San Francisco almost looks nasty because of the bright colorscheme of the houses. And some of the housing in San Fran are no taller or more urban than houses elsewhere, its just the fact that they are on the hills and stuck together that gives it a look. The brown brick apartments buildings on from 75th to 78th & Kingston Ave in Chicago where I used to live, looks way better than the housing in San Fran. Just because you're dense doesnt make you "East". All of those white, purple, and lime green houses are not East Coast style. San Fran isnt even like Chicago let alone anything on the East. You dont see white and green lime buildings in Chicago.
Well MY mom visited CHICAAAAG once and she says CHICAAAAG is icky! Ewwww!

Dude why even speak if you have no idea what you're talking about? Try actually SEEING the West Coast cities before you make a statement as idiotic as the claim that SF is "just any other West Coast city except all the buildings are smashed together."

And its not "San Fran." I have no idea how people got it in their head that we're called SFO or San Fran, but THAT'S NOT WHAT OUR CITY IS CALLED!!! Either call it by its full name or call it SF, but those other two are supremely annoying.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I think it's just the luck of the draw, and it comes down to the individual cop you're dealing with (you probably are more likely to get stopped if you're a minority though, unfortunately). I myself have jaywalked in SF in plain view of police a few times that i can remember, and i've witnessed others do the same, and the cops didn't even blink an eye, they just kept minding their own business.

I have a friend who was threatened with jail time by a douche cop in SJ though, for jaywalking on an empty street.
That sounds about right. Cops down there are punks and I can't stand em. I had one threaten to give me a ticket for being next to my truck in a loading zone.

I've never heard of SFPD bothering anyone about jaywalking unless you do it right in front of them on a street where it actually will disrupt traffic. Surprisingly, in Oakland cops will get you for it which is why you don't see much jaywalking even on E.14.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,683,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Well MY mom visited CHICAAAAG once and she says CHICAAAAG is icky! Ewwww!

Dude why even speak if you have no idea what you're talking about? Try actually SEEING the West Coast cities before you make a statement as idiotic as the claim that SF is "just any other West Coast city except all the buildings are smashed together."

And its not "San Fran." I have no idea how people got it in their head that we're called SFO or San Fran, but THAT'S NOT WHAT OUR CITY IS CALLED!!! Either call it by its full name or call it SF, but those other two are supremely annoying.

That's like nails on a chalkboard.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,351 times
Quote:
That sounds about right. Cops down there are punks and I can't stand em. I had one threaten to give me a ticket for being next to my truck in a loading zone.
Well, San Jose is basically the LA of the Bay Area, right?

Quote:
I've never heard of SFPD bothering anyone about jaywalking unless you do it right in front of them on a street where it actually will disrupt traffic. Surprisingly, in Oakland cops will get you for it which is why you don't see much jaywalking even on E.14.
I jaywalk all the time in both SF and Oakland. I didn't realize the Oakland police gave tickets for that. I always wondered why the people in Oakland's Chinatown are so obedient to the walk/don't walk signals...as opposed those over in San Francisco's Chinatown!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I jaywalk all the time in both SF and Oakland. I didn't realize the Oakland police gave tickets for that. I always wondered why the people in Oakland's Chinatown are so obedient to the walk/don't walk signals...as opposed those over in San Francisco's Chinatown!
Yeah supposedly they get on you for it in Oakland, although I have yet to witness it. My co-worker got a ticket for not having his seatbelt on while riding shotgun (on his own block!) over near Fruitvale, which I found very surprising. And another co-worker of mine was who clued me in to the jaywalking thing on E.14/International. After that I began to notice how much less jaywalking there is in Oakland than SF.

I just found it surprising b/c I didn't expect the OPD to be such sticklers on stuff that is so trivial compared to what else goes on in our cities. But it is good to at least see the law is being enforced over there, compared to tolerating the suicidal idiocy displayed by junkies and crackwhores on 6th St in SF lol.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM

404 posts, read 596,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
I dont know. Which Peruvian provence has the most Pennsylvania Pittsburgh in it? Come on, these threads are ****ing nausiating!
LOL! I voted Oakland, and Portland seems more west coast than all of these cities to me. Though I've never been there.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,440,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Well, San Jose is basically the LA of the Bay Area, right?
You mean the Irvine of the Bay Area. Better fit.

Irvine

San Jose

Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,726,128 times
San francisco, looks more eastern, but it ends there. The demographics of the east and west are dramatically different.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
You mean the Irvine of the Bay Area. Better fit.

Irvine

San Jose
Nope, not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City