Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well, sir, it's like you said: from YOUR experience. But that doesn't make it so.

And South Carolina is not just about southern cooking. You'd be surprised where in the south you can find QUALITY rustic Italian, Jamaican, Greek, South American, Indian, and Caribbean cuisines. But if you did not find these places after living down south for 20 years, I'm sorry but I'm just going to have to insist that you simply weren't searching hard enough. Since things down here are so spread out, it's not going to be as easy to find places as it is in Jersey.
Well - as humans, we can only speak from our own experiences.

There may be SOME halfway decent ethnic food in SC ... but it cannot compete with that of NJ. Put it this way ... if you were to have 100 Italian people (from Italy) sample the food from an Italian restaurant in NJ, and then have them sample the food from the BEST Italian restaurant in SC ... and then have them rate and compare the restaurants ... who do you think will honestly win, in terms of taste and authenticity? Then do the same for Indians with Indian food, Greeks with Greek food, and so on and so forth. Which state, NJ or SC, would win that contest, if you were a betting man and valued your money?

I guarantee that any NJ native will be entirely unimpressed with the Greek, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Carribbean, and Indian food in SC.

Look - NJ/NYC is the immigration capital of the US - there are simply much more of those types of people here, than in SC, hence, the higher availability of such cuisines, which translates into much better quality and authenticity. You really can't see that logic?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Exactly, there are six TGI Fridays in the whole state of SC. The reason for that is because TGI Fridays for some reason are not there. You knew this and I knew this because I lived in Charleston for a short stint. While I was in Charleston, I visited Myrtle Beach, Greenville and Columbia and I never saw ONE TGI Fridays. You knew what you were doing because you are from SC and you picked TGI Fridays on purpose. So, you claim not to have time to look up the Olive Garden, but you have time to look up TGI Fridays and continue to post in this thread? You won’t look up the other restaurants because you know that I am right. Look at the link that I provided that SC is dominated by fast food, which proves the south equals fast food.
That's the point: somebody made a stupid argument, and I checked them on it with facts. If they say that TGIF has more of a presence in rural SC and I prove that it doesn't and you say, "Oh, well that's because the chain is regionally based," doesn't that mean that the person making such a claim was DEAD WRONG, whatever the reason? You're not making any sense whatsoever; you're getting mad at me because somebody made an uninformed claim and I picked that chain because it was mentioned first and the stats showed otherwise. And again, I also provided info for Chili's and Applebees since y'all were too lazy to do it yourselves, but you're the one making all of these claims. I wasn't making any sort of argument either way because I wasn't the one who brought up food in the first place, so don't get mad at me for information I did or did not provide when I wasn't OBLIGATED to provide any at all since I'm not making an argument either way. Do the legwork yourselves. Oh, but we're supposed to be the fat, lazy Southerners, huh?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well - as humans, we can only speak from our own experiences.

There may be SOME halfway decent ethnic food in SC ... but it cannot compete with that of NJ. Put it this way ... if you were to have 100 Italian people (from Italy) sample the food from an Italian restaurant in NJ, and then have them sample the food from the BEST Italian restaurant in SC ... and then have them rate and compare the restaurants ... who do you think will honestly win, in terms of taste and authenticity? Then do the same for Indians with Indian food, Greeks with Greek food, and so on and so forth. Which state, NJ or SC, would win that contest, if you were a betting man and valued your money?

I guarantee that any NJ native will be entirely unimpressed with the Greek, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Carribbean, and Indian food in SC.

Look - NJ/NYC is the immigration capital of the US - there are simply much more of those types of people here, than in SC, hence, the higher availability of such cuisines, which translates into much better quality and authenticity. You really can't see that logic?
Lol, who do you think are the head cooks of these international restaurants down south? Old white guys named Billy Bob?? No. These are real Italians, real Greeks, real Cubans, real Spanish, etc. So if that's the way you feel about it you need to come down south and tell them they don't know how to cook their own nation's cuisine.

But anyway, going all the way back to my original post...New Jersey cannot hold a candle to any place in the South when it comes to good food.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I agree, the gravy at the Italian restaurants in the south taste like jarred Ragu sauce from the supermarket. I had some spaghetti and gravy at the restaurant down the block from me (Bistro Di Marino) and I have never tasted something that good in the south.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, the gravy at the Italian restaurants in the south taste like jarred Ragu sauce from the supermarket. I had some spaghetti and gravy at the restaurant down the block from me (Bistro Di Marino) and I have never tasted something that good in the south.
Italians in the South must come from a different Italy...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
southerners plz stop it. Like really. Stop yourselves in your tracks. Your not fooling anyone. A couple of us have stayed in the south before, im not a blind duck. Of course every state is going to have its resturants. But SC along with the rest of the south are flooded with applebees, lizard thickets and outback steakhouses. In comparison to a northeastern state like jersey, south carolinas cuisine pales in comparison. Period , stop trying to make it more than what it is

Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
southerners plz stop it. Like really. Stop yourselves in your tracks. Your not fooling anyone. A couple of us have stayed in the south before, im not a blind duck. Of course every state is going to have its resturants. But SC along with the rest of the south are flooded with applebees, lizard thickets and outback steakhouses. In comparison to a northeastern state like jersey, south carolinas cuisine pales in comparison. Period , stop trying to make it more than what it is
Actually, there are 31 Applebee's in New Jersey and 32 in South Carolina...and there are 19 Outback Steakhouses in both states. I've never heard of Lizard Thicket...that must be local.

We've all traveled...some people act like there is some limitation to traveling if you live in the South.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ehh, NJ has plenty of country wide restaurants like any other state due to the highway congestion. (you'd barely find an Applebees in an actual town in NJ other than the highway)
But i'm pretty sure NJ has one of the most locally owned restaurants per square mile than any other state... Diners for one, NJ IS the Diner Capital of the world.

But it's arguable that as a state, New Jersey has some of the best food in the Country.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Lol, who do you think are the head cooks of these international restaurants down south? Old white guys named Billy Bob?? No. These are real Italians, real Greeks, real Cubans, real Spanish, etc. So if that's the way you feel about it you need to come down south and tell them they don't know how to cook their own nation's cuisine.

But anyway, going all the way back to my original post...New Jersey cannot hold a candle to any place in the South when it comes to good food.
OK. I tried to play nice. Now, I'll be a tad more blunt -- are you proposing that, for example, the Italian restaurants in SC are better than the Italian restaurants in NJ? Because that's what it sounds like you are implying. In which case, that would be the silliest proclamation in the history of City-Data.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually, there are 31 Applebee's in New Jersey and 32 in South Carolina...and there are 19 Outback Steakhouses in both states. I've never heard of Lizard Thicket...that must be local.

We've all traveled...some people act like there is some limitation to traveling if you live in the South.
31 Applebee's in NJ ... there are over 8 Million people in NJ.
32 Applebee's in SC ... there are 4 Million people in SC.

19 Outbacks in NJ and 19 in SC. Look at the population numbers.

Fast food is predominant in the southern states (and the midwestern states for that matter). In NJ, there is a much, much, much higher standard of quality. We are accustomed to the restaurants in NYC and NJ, which are generally ALL pretty darn good, to be able to afford the rents that they pay, and to stay open with so much competition. It is a different world up here, whether that is good or bad in your opinion. Competition drives everything. Bad restaurants do not stay open for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City