Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
James Gandolfini is another guy (from Park Ridge/Westwood, northern Bergen county) You know... the main guy on the Sopranos
If you hear him talk in real life................... You can see how much he exaggerated that accent for the show. He sounds nothing like Tony in actuality.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
If you hear him talk in real life................... You can see how much he exaggerated that accent for the show. He sounds nothing like Tony in actuality.
I know...................... But he gets a good grasp on the accent.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Leonia has a large Asian population along with a lot of it's surrounding areas. It's near the George Washington Bridge... Definitely a yuppy town with a great school system.

Joe Pesci is an example of a stereotypical Jersey accent. (from Newark)
James Gandolfini is another guy (from Park Ridge/Westwood, northern Bergen county) You know... the main guy on the Sopranos
I ask about Leonia for this reason:I am wondering if living in Leonia played a part of Anthony Bourdain not having a strong New Jersey accent. The same thing could be said about the Atlanta area. I lived in the suburb of Marietta and the only people with southern accents were usually over 50. I moved further out into Paulding County and southern accents were commonplace and pretty much the rule.

I know about Pesci and Gandolfini from Home Alone, My Cousin Vinny(along with Ralph Macchio, who played a New Jerseyite in a 1984 movie known as Karate Kid) and The Last Castle.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Sorry, but 6 or 7 of the heavier populated cities in NJ isn't saying much.

Newark may be a larger city by national standards, but for being just shy of 300,000 people in a state of over 8 million it just doesn't command much draw outside of it being NJ's largest.

Personally, not leaving your door unlocked is a good idea...but it doesn't mean you couldn't without issue.

And if you think racism is an NJ thing...then sir/ma'am you def need to see more of this continent.
Perhaps the largest city in New Jersey has about 278,000 people. Newark used to have more. The industrial decline that hit other cities hit Newark too. Alot of people left. That said, Newark has gained some people since 2000. Jersey City has close to 250,000n people too. New Jersey has boroughs, towns, and townships. There are alot of smaller populated areas. Perhaps that is why there are 8 million people and the largest cities are relatively small in population compared to many other places.
Leaving one's door unlocked,well, I don't even do that. Personal experience teaches me even the suburbs have crime. I never leave my door unlocked. I believe that the suburbs are not that much safer than the cities.
I would agree with you that New Jersey does not have a monopoly on racism. I live in Georgia and I have learned this. I would say between NJ and SC, racism is in both states and both states have a history of it. The difference is the history, rural vs. urban, and other things. The user you replied to stated he did not experience things that bad in the backwoods. He may have not, but I have. I remember walking down the road to the store and some people in their trucks would yell the "n" word at me. Whoever tells me that the North is worse won't convince me. I say neither region is much better in that aspect, just different.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Stop being not proud of our accent. Whether you are in South Jersey by Philly or in North Jersey by New York our accent is very prominent. Im proud of it. I never heard anyone where I live now in Camden County or where I used to live in Essex County ever sound like they are from west virginia. We sound like the Sopranos, so what! The yuppies however do seem to have a more neutral accent.
I'm sorry but I REALLY don't agree. I do not hear any strong accent in NJ outside of the shadow of NYC. And even in the areas of NJ close to NYC, it's only really the blue collar folks who have a THICK accent. People who have a higher education (and there are a lot in NJ) tend to have more of a neutral accent.

Go to Ridgewood, NJ - one of the nicer towns in Bergen County - and look for somebody with a Sopranos accent. You will absolutely be hard pressed to find anyone at all with that accent. And that's the same for everywhere outside of the immediate NYC vicinity.

I grew up in Cranford, NJ -- 14 miles or so from Manhattan. Nobody at all had a thick accent. Really, nobody.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I think both tommy and Daily are right, actually.

There is a "sopranos" accent found in parts of northern NJ. I hear it in Hudson County, I hear it in lower Bergen County, maybe eastern Essex (Nutley, Belleville, etc.). Outside of that there is a northern/central NJ accent, which is quite different. Unlike the "sopranos" accent, there's no R-dropping. There's less cawfee and dawgs. I hear that accent in Union Co, much of Essex Co, places where refugees from Newark landed. And then once you get down to the area around I-195, you start hearing the "Sailth Jersey" accent where they eat hoagies, drink wooder, and talk on the phoan.

In all cases, I think the accents are watered (or woodered) down in more affluent communities. Possibly due to education, possibly due to those communities attracting more "transplants" from other areas of the country. I also think it's more watered down among the younger generations. But talk to older people or working class people in Bayonne, then in Roselle, then in Vineland. You'll hear very different accents between them.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
Default Appalled

I am new to this and it may not last very long.
I am from South Carolina and live in New York, so I don't really know that much about New Jersey, but I can't believe how cruel people are being on here...
You should all be ashamed of yourselves!
I love South Carolina because it is home, and honestly, many of these post hurt my feelings. I am in New York because I am in graduate school (which I acheived even attending SC public schools!) and plan on staying in the city because of my career goals, BUT, there are good and bad to both places.
This should have been a poll to see what people's preferences are, instead it became a bigoted, sexist free for all.
I was afraid that when I moved to the North from the South that I was going to encounter prejudiced attitudes because of the stereotypes about the South (which, in my opinion is one of the last bastions of acceptable bigotry...along with the impoverished and overweight.)
I have found that in real life people do not hold me to those ridiculous and cruel stereotypes and that I have made some wonderful friends here...many for NJ.
Perhaps I have just had the good fortune to associate with a higher quality of individual than frequents here.
If I had to live around you people, I'd choose NEITHER state. Well, I'm in NYC, so I guess I did.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
wow. a thread nj actually wins legitimately!
you guys don't need to claim creating baseball to try to win this one.

with that said, i'd rather live in jersey any day of the week than to live in any part of south carolina.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM

160 posts, read 498,949 times
New Jersey hands down

- Great location in between New York, Philly, not far from Boston, D.C, Baltimore
- beautiful beaches
- better public education
- higher graduation rate
- much lower employment rate
- less crime
- lower levels of poverty
-more ethnic, racial, and religous diversity
- better public transportation

Oh and about the accent debate, Italian-Americans from NJ tend to have more of an accent (Not that ridiculous "Joisey" accent) than other folks from NJ. I'm Italian-American and my friends make fun of my accent even though they are all from NJ also.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyveekay View Post
I am new to this and it may not last very long.
I am from South Carolina and live in New York, so I don't really know that much about New Jersey, but I can't believe how cruel people are being on here...
You should all be ashamed of yourselves!
I love South Carolina because it is home, and honestly, many of these post hurt my feelings. I am in New York because I am in graduate school (which I acheived even attending SC public schools!) and plan on staying in the city because of my career goals, BUT, there are good and bad to both places.
This should have been a poll to see what people's preferences are, instead it became a bigoted, sexist free for all.
I was afraid that when I moved to the North from the South that I was going to encounter prejudiced attitudes because of the stereotypes about the South (which, in my opinion is one of the last bastions of acceptable bigotry...along with the impoverished and overweight.)
I have found that in real life people do not hold me to those ridiculous and cruel stereotypes and that I have made some wonderful friends here...many for NJ.
Perhaps I have just had the good fortune to associate with a higher quality of individual than frequents here.
If I had to live around you people, I'd choose NEITHER state. Well, I'm in NYC, so I guess I did.
this is the net tho so ppl post what they really feel...they wouldn't say it to your face tho, because most ppl are not confrontational and/or complete idiots. welcome to cd.

as a diehard, hardcore nyer, i'm one of the ppl that loves stirring the pot up with the whole ny vs ____ but truthfully, its all in good fun.

each place has pros and cons...
but our accent is superior (as is everything else associated with the ne), IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City