Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is the Densest and tallest?
Boston 17 9.55%
Philadelphia 52 29.21%
Pittsburgh 1 0.56%
Baltimore 0 0%
Miami 11 6.18%
Atlanta 6 3.37%
Houston 17 9.55%
Dallas 2 1.12%
Seattle 8 4.49%
San Francisco 56 31.46%
Other 8 4.49%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

DC is definitely more dense than SF, Boston and Philly. DC's CBD had more than 110 million square feet of commercial office space with no building over 14 stories tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
That's not necessarily true. The CBD of Washington DC is actually 32,200,941 according to Grubb-Ellis. The entire city is over a little over 102,000,000 but it's also spread throughout the East End, Georgetown, NoMa, Southwest, Union Station, Uptown, and the West End.

Washington's office space is extremely high...but the CBD isn't as dense as Boston, San Francisco, or Philadelphia.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Dude,

Your facts are way off. I just read a report released by DT DC improvement district. Tysons Corner has 49 million square feet of office space. More than Atlanta and Houston. Pretty soon Tysons will pass Boston and Philly. DT DC has 110 million square feet of space right behind the Loop & Manhattan. Plus DC's CBD is physically larger than Center City, SF and Boston. It is completely built out. DC also has the lowest vacancy rate behind Midtown Manhattan and the highest class A commercial office space in the US. On top of that DC has a higher DT workforce population and much higher daily subway ridership than SF & Boston.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 12-30-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dude,

Your facts are way off. I just read a report released by DT DC improvement district. Tysons Corner has 49 million square feet of office space. More than Atlanta and Houston. Pretty soon Tysons will pass Boston and Philly. DT DC has 110 million square feet of space right behind the Loop & Manhattan. Plus DC's CBD is physically larger than Center City, SF and Boston. It is completely built out. DC also has the lowest vacancy rate behind Midtown Manhattan and the highest class A commercial office space in the US. On top of that DC has a higher DT workforce population and much higher daily subway ridership than SF & Boston.
Washington DC's CBD is pretty good but lets keep it real! You know good well that Washington DC. CBD is not on the same level as Philadelphia's CBD or Houston's CBD.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Washington DC's CBD is pretty good but lets keep it real! You know good well that Washington DC. CBD is not on the same level as Philadelphia's CBD or Houston's CBD.
Well, show us how we should all know this.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
You are constantly interpreting the question WRONG. The question is about the height and density of the CBD, not about how large the downtown is. If the OP wants to know which city has the largest downtown why doesn't he just ask about that. If you consider how large the downtown or office space is, as somebody said DC would be up there, but DC is clearly out as to the OP's question, because it doesn't have height and its density, well, is dense but all CBDs are reasonably dense. It is really the area outside and around the CBD that defines a city's overall density. If scale matters the most, SF would clearly win over Philly, but I still rank them equal because their height and density are actually similar. Besides, for different cities the way of defining the boundary of the CBD is different. The data you are showing can mean one way or another. The website you cited clearly looks more in detail with Boston in their report. There are downtown lowrise, downtown tower, etc. etc. combined, while for Houston it just states CBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Height is only one aspect of this comparison. If you're actually in a city, density is much more relevant than height. As it has been shown previously, Houston's downtown isn't nearly as large Philadelphia, San Francisco, or Boston...and it's not even close in the case of SF and Bos when it comes to office space.

Last edited by fashionguy; 12-31-2009 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
Quote:
Dude,

Tyson's Corner isn't even in the District! It's in VA.

Does anyone have numbers discerning buildings in DC that are US Government and those that are actually business?
All US and foreign Government entities should be excluded.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
if this thread is about Which City is the Densest and tallest outside NY and Chi why are people just bringing up the cities that are the Densest? I notice the sunbelt bash! over density, but many of the sunbelt cities like Atlanta and Houston are taller! since this thread is not base on architecture or office space I go with Miami.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Dude,

Your facts are way off. I just read a report released by DT DC improvement district. Tysons Corner has 49 million square feet of office space. More than Atlanta and Houston. Pretty soon Tysons will pass Boston and Philly. DT DC has 110 million square feet of space right behind the Loop & Manhattan. Plus DC's CBD is physically larger than Center City, SF and Boston. It is completely built out.
Dude,

My facts are not way off. Grubb&Ellis is a world leader when it comes to real estate marketing, etc. We've all "read reports", but show some third-party unbiased evidence and I'll believe you.

Like TomDot said, Tysons Corner isn't even in Washington DC...and according to G&E it doesn't have 45M+ sq ft of office space, it has 22,690,611. I know Wikipedia says otherwise, but I'd like to see something official that supports it. Regardless, I don't know why you'd even bring that up because it's certainly not in DC's CBD.

Quote:
DC also has the lowest vacancy rate behind Midtown Manhattan and the highest class A commercial office space in the US.
You do mean aside from New York, right? Manhattan alone has much more Class A office space than the entire DC Metro. Who cares about Class A office space anyway? Does that somehow make an area more dense?

DC has a higher vacancy rate than Boston...

City: City Vacancy; Suburb Vacancy

DC: 12.1%; 14.9%
Boston: 10.4%; 13.8%

Quote:
On top of that DC has a higher DT workforce population and much higher daily subway ridership than SF & Boston.
Rail ridership is higher, but it's not like it blows the others out of the water...at least in the case of Boston

Rail Ridership
DC: 1,046,500
Boston: 855,700
San Francisco: 581,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
You are constantly interpreting the question WRONG. The question is about the height and density of the CBD, not about how large the downtown is. If the OP wants to know which city has the largest downtown why doesn't he just ask about that. If you consider how large the downtown or office space is, as somebody said DC would be up there, but DC is clearly out as to the OP's question, because it doesn't have height and its density, well, is dense but all CBDs are reasonably dense. It is really the area outside and around the CBD that defines a city's overall density. If scale matters the most, SF would clearly win over Philly, but I still rank them equal because their height and density are actually similar.
Not sure if I'm interpreting the question wrong...but you and I are certainly interpreting differently.

Quote:
Besides, for different cities the way of defining the boundary of the CBD is different.
Yea, and odds are the boundaries of Houston is considerably greater than that of Boston, SF, and Philly...I'm not sure how accurate it is, but on Houston's DT wiki page, it says downtown Houston encompassses over 100 square miles...larger than the cities of San Francisco and Boston combined.

Quote:
The data you are showing can mean one way or another. The website you cited clearly looks more in detail with Boston in their report. There are downtown lowrise, downtown tower, etc. etc. combined, while for Houston it just states CBD.
I'm not sure why that makes a difference...

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Dude,

My facts are not way off. Grubb&Ellis is a world leader when it comes to real estate marketing, etc. We've all "read reports", but show some third-party unbiased evidence and I'll believe you.

Like TomDot said, Tysons Corner isn't even in Washington DC...and according to G&E it doesn't have 45M+ sq ft of office space, it has 22,690,611. I know Wikipedia says otherwise, but I'd like to see something official that supports it. Regardless, I don't know why you'd even bring that up because it's certainly not in DC's CBD.

You do mean aside from New York, right? Manhattan alone has much more Class A office space than the entire DC Metro. Who cares about Class A office space anyway? Does that somehow make an area more dense?

DC has a higher vacancy rate than Boston...

City: City Vacancy; Suburb Vacancy

DC: 12.1%; 14.9%
Boston: 10.4%; 13.8%

Rail ridership is higher, but it's not like it blows the others out of the water...at least in the case of Boston

Rail Ridership
DC: 1,046,500
Boston: 855,700
San Francisco: 581,300

Not sure if I'm interpreting the question wrong...but you and I are certainly interpreting differently.

Yea, and odds are the boundaries of Houston is considerably greater than that of Boston, SF, and Philly...I'm not sure how accurate it is, but on Houston's DT wiki page, it says downtown Houston encompassses over 100 square miles...larger than the cities of San Francisco and Boston combined.

I'm not sure why that makes a difference...
Hell no! That's bigger than inner loop Houston. Downtown Houston is about 2-3 sq. miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City