Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
no i don't. say i was a poor person im east ny. would i save $1k up to move into a 1 bedroom, crime filled, dump? or would i save up $1k, move down south, in a decent neighborhood and be able to afford a 3 bdr for less? hmmmmm.......
What? Since when did this topic include affordable housing for low income people...

Old 04-05-2009, 05:14 AM

567 posts, read 1,445,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
You said we would be moving the working class out of the city by gentrifying housing projects. Yet very few people who live in housing projects are part of the cities work force. Thus what you said was incorrect.
you do know that working class jobs dont have to be work force right? bagging groceries, being a janitor, ect ect are all working class jobs/physical labor. people in the projects or poor people in general usually have jobs like these, thus making them working class citizens thus displacing them (even though its only 20.000 people) contributes to a loss in working class citizens. now imagine if we did that to every neighborhood?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
What? Since when did this topic include affordable housing for low income people...
lol, oh my god. were we not talking about affordable housing? lol, go back and read.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
lol, oh my god. were we not talking about affordable housing? lol, go back and read.
We were talking about gentrifcation of housing projects in SF and you have been trying to move around to save face. Clearly, we never talked about affordable housing for low income famlies but you seem to want to change the topic to that...

Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
i mean who did you think affordable housing was for? millionaires? affordable housing is for low income people genius. lol.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
you do know that working class jobs dont have to be work force right? bagging groceries, being a janitor, ect ect are all working class jobs/physical labor. people in the projects or poor people in general usually have jobs like these, thus making them working class citizens thus displacing them (even though its only 20.000 people) contributes to a loss in working class citizens. now imagine if we did that to every neighborhood?
Why are you trying to always change the subject? Do you really feel that bad for being wrong?

No, the few working folks in a housing project dont make up the working class of a city. So there seems to be no problem gentrifying hunters point nor any other housing project. Please try to stay on topic.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
i mean who did you think affordable housing was for? millionaires? affordable housing is for low income people genius. lol.
What do you think attracts young professionals to a city that they otherwise couldnt live in? Gentrified housing projects? Or regular housing projects?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
We were talking about gentrifcation of housing projects in SF and you have been trying to move around to save face. Clearly, we never talked about affordable housing for low income famlies but you seem to want to change the topic to that...
how am i changing the subject? me, talking about lack of affordable housing had to do with gentrification. how about this though, you get a dictionary and look up "working class" and "gentrification" since you dont understand what thoughs words mean. but for now im done with you. arguing with some kid from denver isnt going to get me anywhere. i have been trying to explain the same thing forever but you just dont get it. im out.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 AM

hold on. you think we should gentrify projects? LOL. im glad your not mayor. put it like this; if you kick everyone out of nyc (just using it as an example) who lives in housing projects the city would shrink my 1.5m people. and the city would lose about a 5 billion dollars in tax revenue.

btw, why do you keep thinking i said working class people live in the projects? its the other way around. geez, you really think people in the projects dont work dont you? how do they ever buy anything? oh, wait the all sell drugs right? lol

Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdDK94 View Post
how am i changing the subject? me, talking about lack of affordable housing had to do with gentrification. how about this though, you get a dictionary and look up "working class" and "gentrification" since you dont understand what thoughs words mean. but for now im done with you. arguing with some kid from denver isnt going to get me anywhere. i have been trying to explain the same thing forever but you just dont get it. im out.
I am not the one acting like a child. The topic was about gentrification of the hunter's point housing projects. You somehow worked very hard to move the discussion to NYC, then affordble housing for the poor,and even ignoring the fact that you claimed dispalcing the HP residents would move out SF's working class (clearly false). There is a difference between gentrifying a middle class neighborhood to swanky lofts and gentrifying a housing project to affordable lofts (for artist, college students SEE Sacramento state at 65th ave, young professionals etc). So clearly you are just lost here and trying to save face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City