Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 AM

163 posts, read 493,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
RIGHT NOW, compton has a higher per capita murder rate then the Bronx, I beleive the bronx had something like 123 murders last year, while compton had 72. Bronx is a boruogh of roughly 1.5million people, while comton is a city of roughly 90,000 in a smaller area. But back in the 70's the Bronx was HELL from what I heard, and I DONT disagree with that. BUT I agree with you that many, many other places MIGHT have been just as bad as the bronx in the 70's. I believe Houston reached it's homicde peak in 1979 with 710 homicides and 5th ward in Houston use to average something like 3 or 4 murders a weekend(way smaller then south bronx). NYC had something like 1,200. So I agree with you there MIGHT have been neighborhoods that were just as bad as the south bronx in the 70's. From an urban decay standpoint I'll DEFINATELY give it to the bronx, but decay is not always a good way of telling if a neighborhood is bad, I think LA neighborhoods are dangerous, because you could be in a DECENT looking middle class area in south central with palm trees, and you wouldnt think twice about it, and it could be one of the most gang-infested, most violent, murderous neighborhoods in LA county, BUT it STILL looks pretty decent so you would have NO idea. In places like NYC and Phili and basically EVERY other place in the US, you'll DEFINATELY know you're in a bad area just by looking at the decay, poverty, and public housing.
i agree the bronx was real ruff it still is but what those other posters were saying was so far off . I agree with what your saying The 70's the bronx was probably the worst neighborhood but just like dude said this isn't the 90's . I'm going to say this isnt the 70's 80's or 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Of course, these neighborhoods are BAD, but I believe this is really more of a "popular bad neighborhoods" list.

There are several neighborhoods in several other major and mid-sized cities all over that I'm sure you have just as big of a chance of getting robbed at gun-point in.

I live in a city some of you probably have never even heard of (Macon, Georgia) and there are some areas of west and south macon where some young thugs are just as eager and quick to home invade, car jack, fight/shoot out with rival gang members as a dude in Compton or East St. Louis.

well...since these are the "popular" hoods I guess I can just say it like this to explain it better....go to any major or mid-sized city that has a high poverty rate....and you are bound to find an "east st. louis" or "compton" type area in certain spots.

The neighborhood around Alabama State Univ in Montgomery is some of the scariest stuff I've ever saw.....and I've been to Detroit, Atlanta and Newark, New Jersey lots of times.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 AM

84 posts, read 320,703 times
Quote:
RIGHT NOW, compton has a higher per capita murder rate then the Bronx, I beleive the bronx had something like 123 murders last year, while compton had 72. Bronx is a boruogh of roughly 1.5million people, while comton is a city of roughly 90,000 in a smaller area.
Yeah, but remember I'm talking bout the 80s! And actually there were roughly 40 murders in compton last year. And we must remember that the South Bronx is not the Bronx. The Bronx has nice areas, but we're talking about the South Bronx (in the 80s).

Quote:
NYC had something like 1,200. So I agree with you there MIGHT have been neighborhoods that were just as bad as the south bronx in the 70's.
I know that in 1990 there were 2200 murders in NYC. I don't know how to get data for the South Bronx though because i dont know of any NYC crime map for the 80s, 90s.

Quote:
because you could be in a DECENT looking middle class area in south central with palm trees, and you wouldnt think twice about it, and it could be one of the most gang-infested, most violent, murderous neighborhoods in LA county, BUT it STILL looks pretty decent so you would have NO idea. In places like NYC and Phili and basically EVERY other place in the US, you'll DEFINATELY know you're in a bad area just by looking at the decay, poverty, and public housing.
Yeah this is pretty much true because gangbangin is more of an LA thing...
But NYC was known to be the worst city in the US in the 80s and the South Bronx was the worst area of NYC.

Hunts point, a neighborhood of 12000 people in the South Bronx had about 50 % of residents living belove poverty line and I know i saw more neighborhoods in the South Bronx with stats looking like that. And I also remember reading an article in the Times about hunts point being one of the countries most dangerous neighborhoods last year. Just sayin!

By the way. Watts, a neighborhood a little north of the CPT in South(east) LA had about 20 murders in 2008 with only 20000 people living there! Thats pretty bad!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
9TheCityOfAngeles9,

I got all the stats. The 1970's is no point in even discussing because any hood looks like disneyland compared to the south Bronx...so I wont even go there. The stats I have for that time period are out of this world.

But post Compton's stats ...murder rate, robbery rate, felony assault rates and rape rates for any year in the early 90's. I have some of the stats for the south Bronx neighborhood, but will get all of them when I log back in.

You're underrating how terrible the Bronx was back in the 80's and early 90's.

But lets see.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I would rather be shot in the Bronx ,but robbed in Compton..

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM

84 posts, read 320,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
9TheCityOfAngeles9,

I got all the stats. The 1970's is no point in even discussing because any hood looks like disneyland compared to the south Bronx...so I wont even go there. The stats I have for that time period are out of this world.

But post Compton's stats ...murder rate, robbery rate, felony assault rates and rape rates for any year in the early 90's. I have some of the stats for the south Bronx neighborhood, but will get all of them when I log back in.

You're underrating how terrible the Bronx was back in the 80's and early 90's.

But lets see.
Couldnt have said it better! Urban decay doesnt just happens! I mean damn! People were fleeing!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
com'on folks, the title is what ARE the most dangerous neighborhoods not what WERE.
what happened in th past is important but the op is talking abou what's bad NOW!
I think the worst negborhoods in big cites might be in baltimore or detroit.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
com'on folks, the title is what ARE the most dangerous neighborhoods not what WERE.
what happened in th past is important but the op is talking abou what's bad NOW!
I think the worst negborhoods in big cites might be in baltimore or detroit.
As to the topic....I know inner DC hoods like Trinidad are off the charts.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonapark View Post
Yeah, but remember I'm talking bout the 80s! And actually there were roughly 40 murders in compton last year. And we must remember that the South Bronx is not the Bronx. The Bronx has nice areas, but we're talking about the South Bronx (in the 80s).

I know that in 1990 there were 2200 murders in NYC. I don't know how to get data for the South Bronx though because i dont know of any NYC crime map for the 80s, 90s.

Yeah this is pretty much true because gangbangin is more of an LA thing...
But NYC was known to be the worst city in the US in the 80s and the South Bronx was the worst area of NYC.

Hunts point, a neighborhood of 12000 people in the South Bronx had about 50 % of residents living belove poverty line and I know i saw more neighborhoods in the South Bronx with stats looking like that. And I also remember reading an article in the Times about hunts point being one of the countries most dangerous neighborhoods last year. Just sayin!

By the way. Watts, a neighborhood a little north of the CPT in South(east) LA had about 20 murders in 2008 with only 20000 people living there! Thats pretty bad!
I meant to say in 2005 compton had 72 murders, while BX had something around 120.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:29 PM

21 posts, read 105,227 times
hmmmmm... These arent in order but these are my picks.

Birmingham AAllabama.....Oh my god. That place is terrible.

The city of Na'wlins, Lousiana.

Odessa, Texas. Just for the fact that the city looks like Mexico. I hate that place.

Barry Farm's and the Highlands in southeast DC. Also Trinidad and most of Benning road in northeast DC. And the Sursum Corda neighborhood in Northwest DC, and the Carrolsburg area in Southwest DC.

Also some neighborhoods in Prince Georges County MD that borders DC are bad.

Southside Chicago

Gary, IN.

Frayser in North Memphis. And North Memphis in general. And Orange Mound in Memphis.

Old North Saint Louis, MO. East Saint Louis isnt even all that bad, its is to a degree but its not the worst. I mean I used to drive around there and not see 1 human bieng anywhere. LOL that place is abandoned practically.

East-End Newport News, VA.

Mosby in Richmond VA. There are a quite a few neighborhoods I would pick in Richmond VA. Almost the entire Chamberlayne Road in Henrico County bordering Richmond.

There's plenty of bad neighborhoods in Philly and Camden NJ.

West Charoltte, NC.

I dont know the names of the neighborhoods but there were a couple in Durham NC thatw ernt the greatist, but not the worst.

Again I dont know the names of the neighborhoods but on the outskirts of Myrtle Beach, SC it got pretty bad. North Charleston SC seems to always make it on the worst cities list, I havent been there but most of SC is crap.

Opa-Locka Triangle FL.

MLK drive in Miami. Theres a bunch of bad spots in Florida in general, I mean Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami Gardens, ect ect ect ect all have f***ed up spots.

I havent been to the west coast yet by my buddy from Vegas says North town Vegas is really bad. I havent heard very great things about Pheonix either. I guess Compton and Watts and all the other screwed up areas of California.

And thats all I can think of now. oh and Baltimore and Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City