Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,329,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonapark View Post
I don't doubt that East St. Louis has the highest crime rate, but a lot of these other hoods are overrated!

All the people saying the South Bronx ain't **** and ain't scary no more gotta check this out (zoom in on neighborhoods):

New York City crime map 2 months

As you can see the South Bronx actually has plenty of shootings! (Remember to zoom in and let it work its magic so you can see ALL the shootings...)

Los Angeles crime map 2 months

I suspect something is wrong here because the map only shows one murder... I know it only show Los Angeles city crime so it doesn't count Compton and so on, but by looking at south LA on the map you could at least get the feel of how it would be like, but as I mentioned before I'm almost 100 % sure there is got to be something wrong with the murders here!

Chicago crime map 2 months

Pretty much the Chicago neighborhoods described in this thread as bad are bad, but doesn't seem to top the South Bronx or crimes in south LA...

Spotcrime.com didn't have any maps of East St. Louis, but I checked out St. Louis (Missouri) and there was a lot of crime there!

I am kinda suspicious of this site though because of the very few crimes...

My conclusion is that the South Bronx isn't that great as the times want it to look and people on this forum want it to look...
ok lets get this str8

1. i'm kinda suspicious of that website. I was looking at brownsville(the most dangerous nabe in new york) and there were no shootings. not only that. they didnt add the kid who got shot at a dice game not too long ago in chicago. i dont know about that website

2. of course the s.bronx is gonna have more shootings. It's super dense and its the hood so thats just a given.

3. nyc may considered safe on paper..BUT that doesnt mean there arent any bad neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 PM

never mind, they added it. at least the city is safer according to that map....but i still have mt doubts

Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM

actually they forgot to add the guy shot in the a$$ at the drake & sly polaroid concert this weekend at the house of blues (look it up) and there were 11 shootings on saturday on the west side only. at least only 2 people died but 2 too many

not to mention gang shootings never get reported so that may be why there arent that many in chi and la

Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 PM

never mind(again) they added the house of blues. but still didnt add the west side shootings.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM

before i leave this thang why are u guys fighting about who's hood is tougher anyway. crime aint cool u know

Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 AM

89 posts, read 450,506 times
look, who cares how a hood looks or which is most crime ridden. yea, south bx is bad but it ain't that bad, n.e. detroit looks like nuked-out warzone, same with east cleveland, gary and east st.louis. every city has its bad areas and that's just a fact, it don't matter which is worst, bottom line is they are all BAD.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 AM

84 posts, read 320,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
1. i'm kinda suspicious of that website. I was looking at brownsville(the most dangerous nabe in new york) and there were no shootings. not only that. they didnt add the kid who got shot at a dice game not too long ago in chicago. i dont know about that website
Actually there is a map for Brooklyn alone, but I didn't include it because I was only focusing on the South Bronx...

If you're interested:

Crime map Brooklyn 2 months

Not surprisingly there is a lot of shootings...

Quote:
2. of course the s.bronx is gonna have more shootings. It's super dense and its the hood so thats just a given.
Actually:
Brownsville (11212) population density: 57672 people per square mile

South Bronx (10454) population density: 34134 people per square mile
South Bronx (10451) population density: 39461 people per square mile
South Bronx (10455) population density: 51584 people per square mile
South Bronx (10474) population density: 7657 people per square mile
South Bronx (10459) population density: 47524 people per square mile
South Bronx (10456) population density: 72349 people per square mile
South Bronx (10452) Population density: 75087 people per square mile

These are some South Bronx zip codes. I picked out these cause they were the ones with the most shootings on the map... The further north of these zips you go, the denser it gets...

I know "its the hood" that's why I posted this so others could still see!

Quote:
3. nyc may considered safe on paper..BUT that doesnt mean there arent any bad neighborhoods
That's what I'm trying to show people here...?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 AM

12 posts, read 32,949 times
I swear ive been trying to tell ppl that for a while , nyc is considered the safest, but when you go on spotcrimes and see the actual crimes being committed , nyc is crime ridden , i saw philly in the same site, and in philly did not have 1 reported shooting , stats really dont proove anything , you yourself have to visit places to know the truth

Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,694 times
I'm just going by personal experience and not numbers. I live in Chicago and there are some parts of englewood that are pretty rough(particularly around 80th and Halsted for my chicago ppl). I've driven through the South Bronx years ago and that was even worse. I could not believe the sheer amount of people who were standing outside and how loud they were. I have to admit it was pretty intimidating.

I don't know if I've ever been to liberty city in particular...but the entire northside of Miami is a dump.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM

674 posts, read 1,816,526 times
It is mind boggling that 24 people think compton is the most dangerous place in the country for me its the safest on the list considering I used to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City