Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I'm sure if that happened, the skyline would blossom.
I'm not so sure. With the height limit, Phoenix's downtown can become something like DC's (lots of mid-rise buildings far as the eye can see), if there's tons of demand for office/residential/retail/institutional/etc space downtown. But it doesn't have a downtown packed with buildings standing up to the height limit. So is the height limit really what's holding downtown Phoenix back?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
No, not at all... but that doesn't change the fact that super-tall skyscrapers are a nice addition to any major skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not so sure. With the height limit, Phoenix's downtown can become something like DC's (lots of mid-rise buildings far as the eye can see), if there's tons of demand for office/residential/retail/institutional/etc space downtown. But it doesn't have a downtown packed with buildings standing up to the height limit. So is the height limit really what's holding downtown Phoenix back?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:38 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Phoenix's skyline is THE WORST!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
No, not at all... but that doesn't change the fact that super-tall skyscrapers are a nice addition to any major skyline.
it doesn't really matter because, generally speaking, the southeast never aspired to have mighty skylines - vegas is the closest and its still pretty tame.
you have to appreciate the natural backdrop over there

Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Good point, because even with the height restriction, Downtown is so not dense (like it is in DC)! If the business was booming, downtown should at least be urban & dense. More than just that little "Arizona Center"
It's slow and quiet. And boring!

Around there people don't visit downtown PHX like they do Scottsdale. Downtown Scottsdale is super small, yet seems to be busier than downtown PHX (note that I don't mean during working times. I mean people go "out" in Scottsdale)

Even Tempe Town seems like more people hand out around there than Phoenix.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Sky harbor is fairly new in many aspects and has decent runway and infrastructure it wont be moved. To the earlier points if there was DT demand it would be denser. PHX is spread with many job centers most with only modest height. Few cities have hieght outside the core with the exceptions of Houston, Atlanta and LA - mostly there isnt a need - PHX is built moderately dense over a wide footprint with many modest hieght buildings dotted throughout but on the DT, it is very close to the approach and for this reason and demand there isnt a real reason to have taller buildings

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it is very close to the approach
I'll be thinking about that as I'm making my descent in a few weeks...
YAY!!! Ready to get away from this dreary Northeast weather!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I'll be thinking about that as I'm making my descent in a few weeks...
YAY!!! Ready to get away from this dreary Northeast weather!!!

well no where near as bad as the approach into San Diego IMHO

Landing at San Diego Airport - YouTube

Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Quote:
Phoenix could build an all-new airport, like Denver did in the '80's. I'm sure if that happened, the skyline would blossom.
DIA opened in 1996.

Edit: I was going by memory, but I looked it up and it actually opened in February, 1995. I knew I was in middle school when it opened.

A question. How close is Sky Harbor to Downtown Phoenix? I read further back in this thread psoters saying it's five minutes from downtown or a few miles. What's the exact distance?

I ask because here in Albuquerque our airport is fairly close to our downtown yet I've never heard the closeness as being an issue with building heights in our downtown. One thing I have heard is that the soil beneath Downtown Albuquerque couldn't handle the weight of very tall buildings due to the underground aquifer that supplies the city with most of its water. I somewhat doubt that, but there have been issues with subsidence in Albuquerque mainly due to the drawing down of that aquifer through overuse in years past.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Sky Harbor is right in the middle of downtown, I'd say between 1 mile and 1.5 miles from the center of the city. Boston is another city with a stunted skyline caused by the airport being so close, about 2-3 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
DIA opened in 1996.

Edit: I was going by memory, but I looked it up and it actually opened in February, 1995. I knew I was in middle school when it opened.

A question. How close is Sky Harbor to Downtown Phoenix? I read further back in this thread psoters saying it's five minutes from downtown or a few miles. What's the exact distance?

I ask because here in Albuquerque our airport is fairly close to our downtown yet I've never heard the closeness as being an issue with building heights in our downtown. One thing I have heard is that the soil beneath Downtown Albuquerque couldn't handle the weight of very tall buildings due to the underground aquifer that supplies the city with most of its water. I somewhat doubt that, but there have been issues with subsidence in Albuquerque mainly due to the drawing down of that aquifer through overuse in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City