Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favourite regional accent...
New England 4 4.76%
Boston 6 7.14%
New York 18 21.43%
Northern Midwest/Great Lakes 10 11.90%
Pennsylvania 1 1.19%
Eastern Southern 9 10.71%
Appalachian/Inland Southern 4 4.76%
Midlands 1 1.19%
Deep Southern 12 14.29%
Texan/Inland Western Southern 5 5.95%
West 9 10.71%
Other 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times

Advertisements

^6 I'm from the West and I Don't even the Accent unless your talking about that "Dude" and "Fool" crap we do a lot here.No Dude,Yes Dude,A Foow or Fool or FU People say it weird some times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Northern midwest and the Great Lakes accent might be the same, but the Chicago accent is very different from that one. Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I will bite for Texas/Inland Western Southern. Sounds beautiful when I talk to Texans on the phone at work. However, unfortunately I think alot of people are just going to vote for their local area. Also people are going to hate my accent!
I don't care either way too much about that accent on guys- it sounds a little like the Boston, Philly, and Chicago accents in that it seems 'normal' and reminds me of home. But on chicks? I went on a cruise in the Caribbean with my parents when I was like 14 or 15, and I met two girls from Jersey with thick, thick Jersey accents. Let's just say they made the experience stick with me the rest of my life- I love to hear girls with Jersey/NYC/LI accents.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 AM

84 posts, read 282,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Northern midwest and the Great Lakes accent might be the same, but the Chicago accent is very different from that one. Anyway...

I don't care either way too much about that accent on guys- it sounds a little like the Boston, Philly, and Chicago accents in that it seems 'normal' and reminds me of home. But on chicks? I went on a cruise in the Caribbean with my parents when I was like 14 or 15, and I met two girls from Jersey with thick, thick Jersey accents. Let's just say they made the experience stick with me the rest of my life- I love to hear girls with Jersey/NYC/LI accents.
LOL! I have to agree and that's why I voted for the NYC accent. I dated a girl from there and I loved her accent. I actually wanted to move there b/c you can't find a lot of tall blonde guys and that is why the girls there would like to date one. I've never seen so many dark-haired Italian girls in my life when I went there! LOL!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I've never understood why non-southern males may say that they dislike the southern accent if a man speaks it, but it's supposedly good if a female speaks with one?

On the average, women have thicker southern accents than men, discounting those of lower socioeconomic status.
Actually I think it's more such Dr. Phil, something annoying about his holier-than-thou attitude .

Some guys pull it off, but I actually don't like the cornball country music accent on either men or women that much. I prefer the more natural Southern accent, as long as it's not too nasal.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSooner View Post
LOL! I have to agree and that's why I voted for the NYC accent. I dated a girl from there and I loved her accent. I actually wanted to move there b/c you can't find a lot of tall blonde guys and that is why the girls there would like to date one. I've never seen so many dark-haired Italian girls in my life when I went there! LOL!

lol I'm in the minority here. My family more or less has the italian NY accent and they're all brown haired. I'm blonde hair and blue eyes and have the NY italian accent

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol I'm in the minority here. My family more or less has the italian NY accent and they're all brown haired. I'm blonde hair and blue eyes and have the NY italian accent
Lol, can you record a clip of your voice so we can hear? Is it as strong as like My Cousin Vinnie, or Goodfellas? lol

Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Lol, can you record a clip of your voice so we can hear? Is it as strong as like My Cousin Vinnie, or Goodfellas? lol

I don't think so, but it's fairly strong I'm told. I'll make a recording of it soon so you can be the judge

Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
Quote:
Actually I think it's more such Dr. Phil, something annoying about his holier-than-thou attitude .

Some guys pull it off, but I actually don't like the cornball country music accent on either men or women that much. I prefer the more natural Southern accent, as long as it's not too nasal.
The "Cornball" country accent is pulled off by non-southerners all the time, such as Taylor Swift. When you hear the girl talk, there's not a touch of twang, but when she sings, she really twangs it up.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think so, but it's fairly strong I'm told. I'll make a recording of it soon so you can be the judge
Thanks Rach! Look forward to it.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rach! Look forward to it.

what do you want me to say??? I have no idea lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City