Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favourite regional accent...
New England 4 4.76%
Boston 6 7.14%
New York 18 21.43%
Northern Midwest/Great Lakes 10 11.90%
Pennsylvania 1 1.19%
Eastern Southern 9 10.71%
Appalachian/Inland Southern 4 4.76%
Midlands 1 1.19%
Deep Southern 12 14.29%
Texan/Inland Western Southern 5 5.95%
West 9 10.71%
Other 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times

Advertisements

I never noticed a Baltimore accent. The accent in that one video with the guy is definitely noticeable, but never have heard anything remotely close to that all the times i've been in Maryland. It sounds kind of hick-ish, no offense lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM

306 posts, read 475,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
i voted same as everyone else will.

the one from where im from.
Naaah man I voted for NYC accent. But Minneaasooda accents are bomb to.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Talking Not one of the prouder moments here on CD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Which ever accent California has,Does California Even Have a Accent,I Mean I Born and raised here and Still can't tell if we have Accents.I Think we talk Normally, While the South Has the Most Annoying Accent to me.
ROTF !!!! OMG, Love, your ENTIRE post is a GIANT BLOOPER!!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM

11 posts, read 19,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I never noticed a Baltimore accent. The accent in that one video with the guy is definitely noticeable, but never have heard anything remotely close to that all the times i've been in Maryland. It sounds kind of hick-ish, no offense lol.
Haha, I'm guessing you mean Ol' Hampden. Yeah he's more of the lower class Dundalk/Essex accent (area of E. Baltimore...it's like Cleveland, everybody pokes fun at it)... I don't mean that in a snotty way! I can pick out somebody from Dundalk right away. ...The guy "Andy" or the one in the first video are more likely what you'd hear if you walked around.

....and about MD people with Southern drawls.... MD is weird, you have the Mid-Atlantic accent around Baltimore, but if you cross the Bay Bridge into rural Eastern MD they will have Southern accents like you'd hear in N. Carolina.

And yeah the Bmore and Philly accents are pretty similar. I'd say the main difference is in Philly there's more emphasis on the "aw" sound.... I live just above the MD/PA border (hour North of Bmore) and people here in South Central PA are a mix; some sound Pittsburghese, others a hybrid of Bmore/Philly, or they might be sort of a mix between all.

For whatever reason I always had a Jersey drawl (heavy "aw" sound), not sure why. Between growing up and living in Bmore, and picking up some things in my two years living here in PA, my Bmore friends say I sound like a stereotypical Italian guy from Philly or Jersey... while my friends here in PA don't understand some of the "Bawlmorese" words I say... and then people FROM Jersey will just straight up ask me "So what part of Jersey you from?" It's weird

I lived in SoCal for a year and I stuck out like a sore thumb. They thought it was great though, everybody always said they loved hearing me talk cuz it sounded cool

Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBawlmorean View Post
Haha, I'm guessing you mean Ol' Hampden. Yeah he's more of the lower class Dundalk/Essex accent (area of E. Baltimore...it's like Cleveland, everybody pokes fun at it)... I don't mean that in a snotty way! I can pick out somebody from Dundalk right away. ...The guy "Andy" or the one in the first video are more likely what you'd hear if you walked around.

....and about MD people with Southern drawls.... MD is weird, you have the Mid-Atlantic accent around Baltimore, but if you cross the Bay Bridge into rural Eastern MD they will have Southern accents like you'd hear in N. Carolina.

And yeah the Bmore and Philly accents are pretty similar. I'd say the main difference is in Philly there's more emphasis on the "aw" sound.... I live just above the MD/PA border (hour North of Bmore) and people here in South Central PA are a mix; some sound Pittsburghese, others a hybrid of Bmore/Philly, or they might be sort of a mix between all.

For whatever reason I always had a Jersey drawl (heavy "aw" sound), not sure why. Between growing up and living in Bmore, and picking up some things in my two years living here in PA, my Bmore friends say I sound like a stereotypical Italian guy from Philly or Jersey... while my friends here in PA don't understand some of the "Bawlmorese" words I say... and then people FROM Jersey will just straight up ask me "So what part of Jersey you from?" It's weird

I lived in SoCal for a year and I stuck out like a sore thumb. They thought it was great though, everybody always said they loved hearing me talk cuz it sounded cool

So have you heard a southern accent on someone from the border of PA/MD/DE like my friend? I can't explain it. I've never heard someone from that area in the north with a southern accent. Maybe it's just a small town accent? But it really does sound southern. She sounds just like my friends from Little Rock and Atlanta suburbs lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Maryland is still a southern state.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM

284 posts, read 696,099 times
First off i voted for the boston accent i love hearing them talk them and new york.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Never knew Baltimore had an accent - interesting. Like a mixture of Deep Southern and New Jersey.
And SOUTH Jersey.................... I dare you to show me born & bread North Jersey residents with anything even resembling that Bmore accent. Not going to happen. Neva!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Biased have to go with West but I enjoy the Boston and old Brahmin accents as well.
Baltimore does have a pretty note able accent,I always noticed how my one friend always said "Gahhbidge".

Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 19,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So have you heard a southern accent on someone from the border of PA/MD/DE like my friend? I can't explain it. I've never heard someone from that area in the north with a southern accent. Maybe it's just a small town accent? But it really does sound southern. She sounds just like my friends from Little Rock and Atlanta suburbs lol.
Not so much the MD/PA border. I'm just above it, and around here you get the PA "rural" accent with some natives who never left their town, which might sound Southern to somebody from New England or NY, but it def isn't "Southern." I'd say it's more Appalachian than Southern... but down in MD if you cross the Chesapeake Bay and go into rural Eastern MD, you can swear you were in NC sometimes.

Then again you're from NY, I've heard people up your way say the MidAtlantic region in general sounds more Southern, while Southerners call us Yankees (referring to Baltimore and PA... not Eastern MD). I have a friend that moved here from GA, and she sticks out like a white dude at a Panther convention. This region is the red-headed stepchild neither side claims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City