Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favourite regional accent...
New England 4 4.76%
Boston 6 7.14%
New York 18 21.43%
Northern Midwest/Great Lakes 10 11.90%
Pennsylvania 1 1.19%
Eastern Southern 9 10.71%
Appalachian/Inland Southern 4 4.76%
Midlands 1 1.19%
Deep Southern 12 14.29%
Texan/Inland Western Southern 5 5.95%
West 9 10.71%
Other 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBawlmorean View Post
Haha, but you can't really type the "Bawlmore" accent. Or PA/Philly for that matter. I guess it'd look like this;

Wurr geohwin downy Yard n' watch 'em Eoh's, n' crack eohpen some Natty Beoh's! But Bawlmore is still a football teown, wurr wackeoh fer Flacceoh! Geo Ravinz!

...translation; "We're going down to Camden Yards to watch the Orioles, and crack open some National Bohemian beers! But Baltimore is still a football town, we're wacko for Flacco! Go Ravens!"

....I miss Bmore
I keep looking for the Bmore accent but I just don't hear it. I'm here in Atlanta and I met a lady from Baltimore and she was non rhotic and sounded like she was from north New Jersey and just smiled at me when I told her that she didn't have the well known BMore accent that I was looking for. It's funny because I hear that accent on Wale but he's from DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I had mentioned this, but a good friend of mine is from the border of PA/MD/DE. She sounds pretty southern to me. A lot like my southern friends. It's strange, because she's maybe 2 hours from northern VA. She grew up in Wilmington, DE.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 19,726 times
Default Bmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I keep looking for the Bmore accent but I just don't hear it. I'm here in Atlanta and I met a lady from Baltimore and she was non rhotic and sounded like she was from north New Jersey and just smiled at me when I told her that she didn't have the well known BMore accent that I was looking for. It's funny because I hear that accent on Wale but he's from DC.

Yeah I actually get that a lot, a lot of people everywhere else think I'm from Jersey or South Philly. Bmore has a few different versions, you got the middle-class or Bmore County accent, you have the South Baltimore or East Baltimore accent, and you have the more street accent which some people confuse with Jersey in some words.

This is more of the Baltimore County accent or middle-class accent:

YouTube - Baltimore accents are hilarious

This is the stereotypical "Bawlmore" accent you'd hear around the city with more working class neighborhoods:

YouTube - Andy's Baltimore Accent....again

YouTube - Andy's Baltimore Accent

YouTube - Ol' Hampden

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I had mentioned this, but a good friend of mine is from the border of PA/MD/DE. She sounds pretty southern to me. A lot like my southern friends. It's strange, because she's maybe 2 hours from northern VA. She grew up in Wilmington, DE.
Rachel, I also met a few people from Maryland who I would swear have a beautiful southern accent. At least they sound southern to me. I mentioned this on some other thread a while back and someone from Maryland (who shall remain nameless!) went ballistic on me! Lol, apparently not everyone likes southern accents!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 31,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I never notice any accent from people on the west coast.

Pretty cool how our NY accents are the favorite

See ...even a person with an accent like one from new york thinks we dont have accents...its most likely because how we californians speak is how people on tv and movies(the biggest influence on america by far) talk

btw i hate new york accents on girls...makes them sound manly...its just gross

Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
Jon Waters is from Baltimore and in many of his early movies, the actors were from Baltimore too. If you can stomach his movies (they are not mainstream--you are warned!) Baltimore accents abound.

I hear some the sounds of the Baltimore accent in southern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and even parts of West Virginia.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Never knew Baltimore had an accent - interesting. Like a mixture of Deep Southern and New Jersey.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Baltimore accent isn't so bad.

Remember this-Nobody has an accent anywhere. The only people who have an accent are from elsewhere!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly_Hillz_1 View Post
btw i hate new york accents on girls...makes them sound manly...its just gross
Well, I don't think my accent makes me sound manly...but I don't think it sounds attractive, yet apparently most guys seem to like it.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times
I'm sorry but I really don't think the west coast has a discernible accent. People in parts of Washington will say 'crick' instead of 'creek' but that's all I can think of.

I've had people from Minnesota and Maryland tell me that I really don't have an accent to speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City