Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm not gonna debate sophistication with the likes of dementor and grapico.

And how does living in an urban area make you somehow better than someone who does not. Dementor you live in NYC, the most urban area in the country and your still a dumba*s.

Just because you come from KY, IL, IN, or IA doesn't mean that your not smart, cultured, or don't have anything to add to an urban environment.

All of the major cities in this country were built on people moving to them. Don't be so quick to criticize.
Gotta love how making broad generalizations about millions of people and a geographic region that covers a large portion of our country makes one sophisticated. If sophistication equals being prejudiced, then count me out.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM

259 posts, read 543,257 times
well in response to the thread I will say this......

Historically Boston is beasting Chicago...but as far as everything else NO lol...
New York is a world class city but there is nothing you can get in New York that you can't get in Chicago....

I've lived in Chicago my whole life and this thread is the first time I've ever heard of a small towned mentally that exist in Chicago. People aren't really nice as many posters on cd claim and the city is nowhere near as naive as people on here try to make it seem. If you actually go to Chicago I seriously believe that you would understand what most posters from Chicago do. Dementor and the rest of the bash Chi Town crew are just a tad bit misguided and jaded...there is nothing in any east coast city that a Chicagoan couldn't relate to lol....Being from Chicago, there is nothing outside of times square that is even remotely amazing in New York.
Many posters on this site have a completely off and crooked perception of what Chicago and its residents are.

Being from Chicago I have never been jealous or wanted to be like New York

Being that I am a Chicagoan I can't remember anyone I didn't know just waving and saying hello just for the sake of speaking lol that doesn't happen

In Chicago we don't worry about other cities lol...we don't compare ourselves to other areas...ONLY ON CITY DATA'S "CITY VS. CITY" THAT HAPPENS or in sports. But no one just sits around and talks about this stuff.

Just about everything that someone says about New York or another city concerning sophistication, urban life etc is true of Chicago. New York just has more people thats it and Boston....well Boston is cool too I guess lol

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM

100 posts, read 220,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
...Being from Chicago, there is nothing outside of times square that is even remotely amazing in New York.
Times Square is one of the worst things about NYC! Nobody would be caught dead there! It's like the eqivalent of hanging out at Ditka's.

It says a lot that this is what a Chicagoan would find amazing about New York.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times
Quote:
New York is a world class city but there is nothing you can get in New York that you can't get in Chicago....
LOL That's what you think... How about world-class theater or a job at international media company?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,811 times
It doesn't

Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Times Square is one of the worst things about NYC! Nobody would be caught dead there! It's like the eqivalent of hanging out at Ditka's.

It says a lot that this is what a Chicagoan would find amazing about New York.
Then why is it the most visited place in the States? Are there really that many Chicagoans invading Times Square? I know that Chicago gave birth to the phrase 'vote early and vote often'...but we haven't figured out how to clone ourselves to skew those Times Square numbers.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
In Chicago we don't worry about other cities lol...we don't compare ourselves to other areas...ONLY ON CITY DATA'S "CITY VS. CITY" THAT HAPPENS or in sports. But no one just sits around and talks about this stuff.
Of course you do, If only counted how many times you bashed Houston or dissed "all other decaying Midwestern cities" as Chicago Sun-Times nicely put.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM

100 posts, read 220,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Then why is it the most visited place in the States? Are there really that many Chicagoans invading Times Square? I know that Chicago gave birth to the phrase 'vote early and vote often'...but we haven't figured out how to clone ourselves to skew those Times Square numbers.
<sigh>

Yes, and Dancing With the Stars is a very popular television program.

I'm sorry, I should have said, 'people with some intelligence and taste would not be caught dead in Times Square - except perhaps for the novelty or as a joke'. Certainly no person from NYC would hang out there.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Hollywood. Times Square is in most movies that place the action in New York so all foreigners run there as soon as they touch the ground at JFK. New York gets 8M foreigners a year.
Honestly, no New Yorker would deliberately go to Times Square, that place is crowded 24/7

Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 PM

I hate Time Square and pretty much only go there for the subway transfer or the tunnel to the Port Authority bus terminal. But tourists LOVE it. On a smaller scale, it's similar to our Navy Pier - loved by tourists but hated by locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City