Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm glad there aren't refineries, factories, dumps all over on Long Island
The only refineries in NJ are in Linden/Elizabeth/Newark...in that one consolidated area. I grew up in a beautiful suburb (Cranford, NJ) that blows away Smithtown and Levittown in terms of beauty, wealth, and school systems...and Cranford is only about 5 miles to the west of Newark. I never saw/smelled any refineries. Grow up, Rachael.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I just have to laugh at that...like I said earlier, there's a reason why so many celebs/wealthy come to the Hamptons and Fire island. I really don't hear of many celebs going to "the shore." We don't need any "cities" because we can go to "the city" without having to pay a $8 one way toll
What makes you think that celebrities ONLY go to LI beaches? You're hilarious. As a schoolteacher, are you really that much "in tune" with the celebrity lifestyle?? I'd be willing to bet that I come into contact with more celebrities each WEEK than you have in your entire life (and hey....I live in NJ!!!!!!). LOL.

OK, let me educate you Rachael. PLENTY of celebrities, and I mean PLENTY, call NJ their home, and PLENTY of them spend their summers at the Jersey Shore. I'm not going to dig up a list right now, nor do I care to, but for starters Bruce Springsteen lives at the Jersey Shore. Also, 2 weeks ago Britney Spears bought a house in Alpine, NJ.

So please (pretty please?) don't pull the celebrity card in a Long Island vs NJ discussion. NJ/LI would at least be even in that regard, but I honestly think NJ would win.

And the Jersey Shore is not only crowded beaches...there are private, quiet beaches as well...there are many different beach vibes at the Jersey Shore.

Open your eyyyyyyeeesssss....

Rachael, take my advice - you're only hurting yourself by being close minded. I used to be like you...

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Where Stars Have Vacation Homes - ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/celebrity/celebrity-second-homes-story.html - broken link)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Is there a threshold for population with this thread? There are too many towns of quality surrounding the NYC area in NY, NJ and CT to make a good list.

Some of my favorites:

NY:
Pound Ridge
Chappaqua
Katonah
Old Westbury
Manhassett
Roslyn

NJ:
Old Tappan
Park Ridge
Saddle River
Alpine
Closter

CT:
Greenwich
New Canaan
Wilton
Weston

Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
speaking on the whole celebrity thing, i did see quite a few "celebs" in and around the englewood/fort lee area when i lived there......although i'm sure plenty live on L.I. as well

however, P.Diddy and Russell Simmons live in NJ - nuff said

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

50 cent has a house across the street from my sister's ex. There were apparently wild parties thrown often that angered the neighbors lol.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
^^ lol - i'm not surprised

Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 AM

I think that's pretty cool though. I would show up at his house and show him my white rapping skills, haha.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
What makes you think that celebrities ONLY go to LI beaches? You're hilarious. As a schoolteacher, are you really that much "in tune" with the celebrity lifestyle?? I'd be willing to bet that I come into contact with more celebrities each WEEK than you have in your entire life (and hey....I live in NJ!!!!!!). LOL.

OK, let me educate you Rachael. PLENTY of celebrities, and I mean PLENTY, call NJ their home, and PLENTY of them spend their summers at the Jersey Shore. I'm not going to dig up a list right now, nor do I care to, but for starters Bruce Springsteen lives at the Jersey Shore. Also, 2 weeks ago Britney Spears bought a house in Alpine, NJ.

So please (pretty please?) don't pull the celebrity card in a Long Island vs NJ discussion. NJ/LI would at least be even in that regard, but I honestly think NJ would win.

And the Jersey Shore is not only crowded beaches...there are private, quiet beaches as well...there are many different beach vibes at the Jersey Shore.

Open your eyyyyyyeeesssss....

Rachael, take my advice - you're only hurting yourself by being close minded. I used to be like you...
All true..

I love how it was ignored.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM

I had 4 celebrities living just in my town growing up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City